Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #61
Agemegos

Default Re: Pyramid #3/52: Low-Tech II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
But would you continue to hunt and eat people?
I wouldn't stop.

Quote:
It's more an issue of degree of elevation.
That's where you go wrong. It is actually a matter of being able to discriminate between individuals. I can tell my girlfriend from a burglar, so to speak.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 02-23-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #62
Flyndaran
Untagged

[QUOTE=Brett;1529645][QUOTE=Flyndaran;1529641]But would you continue to hunt and eat people?
Quote:

I wouldn't stop.

That's where you go wrong. It is actually a matter of being able to discriminate between individuals. I can tell my girlfriend from a burglar, so to speak.
Maybe it's an issue of lowest level of value given to a stranger of X species. I think most people if in theory if not in practice place a lower limit on human value, but don't on other species.

But sorry for the thread-jack.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #63
Agemegos

Quote:
I think most people […] in theory if not in practice place a lower limit on human value
Perhaps, but it may be negative. When you are a soldier in battle, or an armed policeman interrupting a heinous crime, there are people whom it is good to kill.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #64
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
Perhaps, but it may be negative. When you are a soldier in battle, or an armed policeman interrupting a heinous crime, there are people whom it is good to kill.
Yes, but most people, I think, don't handle it perfectly even when it's without a doubt the necessary thing to do. At least not as well as one would when killing a wild animal. Empathy and necessity don't always play well together.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:59 PM   #65
malloyd

Quote:
That depends on what pet means to you. I can't understand how one individual can be elevated to family member without also elevating others of its kind as well.

It's like die hard racists that like and consider one individual ok and deserving of respect.
Obviously, I'm not comparing animal eaters to racists in any other way, but it's the only analogy I can think of right now.
On the flipside, I know people who are deeply emotionally attached to their rosebushes, or their lucky dice. Making a special effort to protect those doesn't elevate all other roses or bits of plastic.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:16 PM   #66
DanHoward

Quote:
That depends on what pet means to you. I can't understand how one individual can be elevated to family member without also elevating others of its kind as well.
The pet means nothing to me. It means something to its owner. Killing it would cause distress to that person and I have no desire for that. However I don't have a problem culling feral cats and dogs. It seems a waste to bury the carcasses if their meat is palatable.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:27 PM   #67
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
The pet means nothing to me. It means something to its owner. Killing it would cause distress to that person and I have no desire for that. However I don't have a problem culling feral cats and dogs. It seems a waste to bury the carcasses if their meat is palatable.
To me that's very creepy. To me a pet is merely a name given to establish relationship not inherent value.
It's just weird all the things that seem to matter to you normies, so I'm always dumbfounded when faced with things that don't matter to you.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:28 PM   #68
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
On the flipside, I know people who are deeply emotionally attached to their rosebushes, or their lucky dice. Making a special effort to protect those doesn't elevate all other roses or bits of plastic.
Caring about specific inanimate objects strikes a very distasteful chord in me as some kind of idolatry or animistic religious belief.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:31 PM   #69
Agemegos

Quote:
To me that's very creepy. To me a pet is merely a name given to establish relationship not inherent value.
It's just weird all the things that seem to matter to you normies, so I'm always dumbfounded when faced with things that don't matter to you.
"Pet" is a word in just the same way that "friend" is, or "wife".

Which is not to say that I equate wives with pets, but that relationships like friendship and love are no less real for that we have concrete nouns for the objects of those relationships.

Quote:
Caring about specific inanimate objects strikes a very distasteful chord in me as some kind of idolatry or animistic religious belief.
Do you ever get tired of telling us all that you think we're creepy and distasteful? I don't say such things about you.

Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 02-23-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:43 PM   #70
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
Do you ever get tired of telling us all that you think we're creepy and distasteful? I don't say such things about you.
I'm not going to lie by omission when suddenly faced with people I thought were full of empathy admit to not being so.
I didn't realize that I'd said that before. I apologize for my poor memory and repeating myself then.

Tags
low-tech, pyramid 3/52, pyramid issues