Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-16-2018, 06:09 PM   #11
mr beer

Default Re: Nets: the ultimate weapon?

Specifically with super-strong victims hit by a net, it seems to me that the net should impede them to some kind of maximum based on it's HP/ST rating. So in the case of a ST 200 brick hit with a ST 20 rope net, he/she will just walk through it.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:24 PM   #12
Anthony

I notice this is another subtle difference between Basic and DF. In DF, you can destroy a large net as a quick contest of ST (see Exploits p45) and it's not treated as Diffuse.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:48 PM   #13
tanksoldier

Quote:
. I'd suggest a house rule to correct this:
Correct what?

You can do 2 hp per second. You cut your way out of a 20 hp net in ten seconds.

I’m not seeing the problem.
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:55 PM   #14
AlexanderHowl

I think that nets should only be completely effective against targets of the same or lesser SM than the net. Against a target of one greater SM, the target should probably only need one action to remove the net and should get a +5 to their roll. Against a target of two or more greater SM, the target should probably ignore the net (an SM +0 large net should do nothing to a SM+3 car). If you want to capture a SM+3 car, you should probably use a SM+3 large net (which would weigh 245 lbs and should probably require a minimum ST 35).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:50 PM   #15
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I notice this is another subtle difference between Basic and DF. In DF, you can destroy a large net as a quick contest of ST (see Exploits p45) and it's not treated as Diffuse.
Huh, looking at the DFRPG version, I'd probably just use that if, say, players in a Monster Hunters game were foolish enough to try to capture a big bad in net. Much simpler than the Technical Grappling version (honestly not a fan of that system in general). Oddly, though, DFRPG still doesn't let you brute-force bolas.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:07 PM   #16
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
Correct what?

You can do 2 hp per second. You cut your way out of a 20 hp net in ten seconds.

I’m not seeing the problem.
People who are strong enough should be able to just rip nets apart, but then nets should not be treated as "diffuse" against people who strong enough to just tear one.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:09 AM   #17
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
People who are strong enough should be able to just rip nets apart, but then nets should not be treated as "diffuse" against people who strong enough to just tear one.
Nets shouldn't be treated as diffuse at all, at least against cuts. If you have a net with at least one point immobile, you can put a blade into it and cut away from that point and (assuming sufficient power) destroy the net in a single stroke.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:13 AM   #18
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
You can make more than one attack in a turn pretty easily, with a target that's not defending itself.

But there's probably problems with the Basic rule which offers no way to muscle through the net (you've netted an elephant. It is wearing the net like a hat, and cannot move except to try to get it off) or grab and tear it (even if you could tear a car in half)..
Not in Campaigns by RAW, its true.

However I think it would be reasonable to extrapolate a house rule from the point about Small nets being easier to escape from than large ones.

Say for example we assume a large net = a SM0 net, and a small net = a SM-1 net, we can give make that a +/-3 mod to escape for each SM difference between net and target. So a SM+3 elephant would have +9 to escape. I'd also be tempted to allow enough MoS on the roll to remove an escape action needed for the total 3 consecutive rolls. So maybe for every 3MoS to an escape roll you get an extra successful escape action to count for the 3 needed?

This will also mean you can have bigger nets against smaller creatures as well as needing bigger nets against bigger creatures.

But of course you can just use Technical Grappling, where you break free from an entangling net by removing CP based on Trained ST (or Escape). Which means big strong animals remove more CP than smaller weaker ones. As well as suffering less Stat penalties from any CP inflicted on them anyway due to "Bigger and Stronger", and therefore also having an easier to time on the stat based breaking free rolls.

Technical grappling also brings in "enveloping" which talks about relative size between target and net

(all in all I'd go with TG and not the house rule)

I do also think there's a problem, with the way diffuse results effect everyone down to 1 or 2 pts damage. Which IMO works fine for some forms of attack/damage but not others.

A SM human tears a Large net at a max 2HP damage, a SM10 titan does too even though that "large" net is to them proportionally more the kind of thing supermarkets pack fruit in. I guess maybe very large creatures attacks on a net would count as an area effect and get full damage against diffuse targets though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
The active defense does count for a lot more against a ranged attack that required you to ready and throw away a 20-pound weapon than against a melee attack that cost nothing but one turn of action...
Yep and the very fact that it is a 20lb weapon means that if you take into account even larger nets for larger targets in anyway at all, you're really not talking about regular missile attacks unless the net throwing is large as well.

Netting larger animals in RL tends to be a group effort!

Last edited by Tomsdad; 05-18-2018 at 12:09 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:33 PM   #19
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Nets shouldn't be treated as diffuse at all, at least against cuts. If you have a net with at least one point immobile, you can put a blade into it and cut away from that point and (assuming sufficient power) destroy the net in a single stroke.
No, you can't do it that way, unless the net is being restrained at all 4 corners by some sort of adjusting force (like say, really tight bungee cords) every time you cut one link the net will go slack and cutting further will mean catching it stretching it and then sawing at it, and you'll need to cut ten or so links to have enough space for a person to get free; If the net is over a person correctly there is no way to restrain it like that without getting out from under it in the normal 'takes a long time' method.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:58 PM   #20
Minuteman37

You can also doable strike the net no?

So it's more like 5 seconds for a 20lb net, which realistically sounds reasonable.

Also
Quote:
Diffuse: A target with Injury Tolerance (Diffuse) is even harder to damage! This includes swarms, air elementals, nets, etc. Impaling and piercing attacks (of any size) never do more than 1 HP of injury, regardless of penetrating damage! Other attacks can never do more than 2 HP of injury. Exception: Area-effect, cone, and explosion attacks cause normal injury.
I'd definitely consider Hercules flexing his godly muscles to break the net engulfing his body an area-effect attack.
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote