Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:47 AM   #11
dwalend

Default Re: New Scenario: Gauntlet

Will someone with "Ogre Sixth Edition plus Reinforcements" have the section 5.11 rules on riding GEV-PCs in a rulebook?

Would someone with pocket ogre, the full rulebook pdf, and a big pile of extra counters not be able to play this scenario?
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:01 AM   #12
Dave Crowell

The current Ogre 6e rulebook pdf as posted does not contain rules for either town terrain or GEV-PCs (Infantry riding vehicles). These rules are in the ODE rulebook pdf.

A pocket Ogre player might need to make up some counters to mark the town hexes and for GEV-PCs.

I can't say whether the Ogre Reinforcements pack will include town overlays, terrain rules, or GEV-PCs. These decisions may not even have been finalized by Steve Jackson Games.

I do remember making hand drawn extra counters to play big scenarios with back when the games were new.
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 12:27 AM   #13
Tim Kauffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
SOL would make a fine title if you want to save Gauntlet for something else.
Right on...SOL suits this Scenario better as it goes right along with the:

"1.0 INTRODUCTION

Unit SOL had never attached any significance to his designation; he had a war to fight. But as he headed back toward the ocean, unscratched, at the end of what should have been a routine raid, he considered what SOL could stand for.

Sold Out of Luck."

..."Sold Out Of Luck"???...lol...this is genius...haha.
You avoid writing the profanity of what it really means, by having the OGRE in the process of considering what it may mean, while simultaneously making it humorous. Well done sir, well done indeed. :)

All the more reason to have SOL the Scenario name and like dwalwend suggests, use GAUNTLET for another one.

Also, I can't help but think there should be some water hexes at the southern end of the map to represent the ocean, I mean I understand the Scenario has the shoreline further south and off board, and sometimes it's best to leave things to the imagination for better effect, but how would it be if some of the shoreline was at the end of the southern map?
How about having all of these ocean shoreline hexes be "Shallow Ocean" hexes...meaning they count as water hexes but when OGREs are in them, they are like revetments in the sense the OGRE is mostly underwater up to it's tread unit housings, and thus, gets a town bonus...no shots can be fired at it's treads.
This is helping the OGRE and disadvantaging the attacker, true, but it would have some actual ocean hexes on the map as a nice visual, with a fun little twist on a water hex.

You can see an image of the OGRE SOL retreating back into the ocean here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/128248...posted-public/

I noticed the OGRE DE Pdf needs updated to correspond correctly to the published OGRE DE rules that came with the game. The pdf is not the same and appears to be an early draft before it was finalized for print.

Last edited by Tim Kauffman; 10-31-2016 at 10:45 PM.
Tim Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:02 PM   #14
ghostofjfd

Ran through "The Gauntlet" the other day but didn't enjoy it a lot. It didn't seem to involve much tactical decision-making or finesse. It seemed easy enough to for the Ogre to avoid towns, and there were plentiful targets in the clear. Given the victory condition, the Ogre ran south, shooting at everything in threat-severity order. The ambushers managed their traffic to keep a maximum circular firing squad of infantry (18 squads) around the Ogre, which they just about managed every turn. The GEV-PCs ran a shuttle-bus service for the infantry at risk of getting left behind, and the GEVs maneuvered for shots. The towns were placed toward the north to give the INF as much time on target as possible. The GEVs got shot up (four killed) because they came in for shots while the Ogre was still M3. Target priority was about 2/3rds treads and 1/3rd weapons, including APs.

Result = Ogre loss by imobilization on turn 10, with 1 MB, 5 2B, 8 AP remaining. Ambusher losses were 5 armor and 113 INF squads.

Last edited by ghostofjfd; 10-19-2016 at 10:41 PM.
ghostofjfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:41 PM   #15
Tim Kauffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostofjfd View Post
Ran through "The Gauntlet" the other day but didn't enjoy it a lot. It didn't seem to involve much tactical decision-making or finesse. It seemed easy enough to for the Ogre to avoid towns, and there were plentiful targets in the clear. Given the victory condition, the Ogre ran south, shooting at everything in threat-severity order. The ambushers managed their traffic to keep a maximum circular firing squad of infantry (18 squads) around the Ogre, which they just about managed every turn. The GEV-PCs ran a shuttle-bus service for the infantry at risk of getting left behind, and the GEVs maneuvered for shots. The towns were placed toward the north to give the INF as much time on target as possible. The GEVs got shot up (four killed) because they came if for shots while the Ogre was still M3. Target priority was about 2/3rds treads and 1/3rd weapons, including APs.

Result = Ogre loss by imobilization on turn 10, with 1 MB, 5 2B, 8 AP remaining. Ambusher losses were 5 armor and 113 INF squads.
I can't help but think maybe adding some Combat Engineers and Mines to this Scenario would give the OGRE more to deal with. Avoiding cities then takes on some potential hazard in slowing the OGRE by loosing tread units to Mines, for example.

Last edited by Tim Kauffman; 10-31-2016 at 10:45 PM.
Tim Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:25 AM   #16
ghostofjfd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kauffman View Post
I can't help but think maybe adding some Combat Engineers and Mines to this Scenario would give the OGRE more to deal with. Avoiding cities then takes on some potential hazard in slowing the OGRE by loosing traed units to Mines, for example.
With the crater-map rules--no overruns, no stacking--in effect, towns are not all that bad for the Ogre. It can still kill a step of INF by ramming (or so I've been playing it) and it gains tread protection. The main reason to avoid towns, I think, is the added movement cost. There are probably so many targets available that the Ogre doesn't need to devote weapons to shooting at or ramming INF in towns.

Unloading a GEV-PC in a town seems sensible, if that puts the INF in a useful position. Depending on where the Ogre goes, a given INF unit may have one turn when it can shoot at an Ogre from, or receive fire in, a town hex. An INF that survives being rammed in a town will always have a chance to shoot back.
ghostofjfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:41 PM   #17
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostofjfd View Post
With the crater-map rules--no overruns, no stacking--in effect, towns are not all that bad for the Ogre.
I think we're all assuming that the towns provide their usual defense bonus to INF and Ogres, and slow down GEVs and GEV-PCs per usual. Probably worth stating that in the rules, too.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote