Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 05:33 PM   #1
Norse

Default Hirelings and Hireling special abilities

1. A basic Hireling allows you to carry and use one extra item. We always interpreted that as "you may have 1 extra item equipped", sorta like a "Cheat!" card. However, the thief Hireling also gives me "1 extra hand", does that mean I can equip a 2-handed item (can carry and use one extra item that is legal for a thief to use) and a 1 handed item (due to the thief having 1 extra hand)?
  2. The Bard Hireling says you are allowed to "carry and use any one item that is legal for a bard to use. its bonuses and abilities works for you.". Does that refer to the item I choose to equip my Hireling with, or does that mean the abilities and bonus of the Bard class?
  3. What sex is a Hireling by default? Is it the same sex that is shown on the card? If no sex is obvious, can the player choose or is that hireling not allowed to carry gender-specific items?

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 11-20-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:23 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Hirelings and Hireling special abilities

We typically refer, unofficially, to Hireling as a Cheat! card with a +1 bonus and the ability to sacrifice it to Run Away. So, it can use any Item, and since it also allows you to carry an extra Item, that should be interpreted to mean that the Item being used by Hireling could be Big, even if you are already carrying a Big Item.

Class- and Race-based Hirelings, like Thief Hireling and Bard Hireling, almost all say the same thing about the ability to carry and use an Item. Given the context, the statement about bonuses and abilities can only be referring to the Item, and not the Race or Class of the Hireling. I'm comfortable that none of those Hirelings give you any abilities of the Class or Race for which they are named, only the abilities as stated on the cards.

As for the Thief Hireling's extra hand, it means that you have an extra hand with which to use Hand Items. So, yes, if you were using a Item that needs 2 Hands, you can now use another Hand Item.

Finally: The sex of a Hireling is based on its appearance on the card. This is stated in the rules for Hirelings in any of the sets and expansions that come with Hireling cards. Theoretically, it should be obvious. If you have a question about a specific Hireling, please let us know.
MiB #1029
Old 11-26-2017, 04:15 PM   #3
Norse

The 2 Hirelings that seem unclear to us are the gnome and theif hireling. (For example, the gnome hireling is just a tuba on legs according to the card art.)
Old 11-27-2017, 01:28 AM   #4
Melifton

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
We typically refer, unofficially, to Hireling as a Cheat! card with a +1 bonus and the ability to sacrifice it to Run Away. So, it can use any Item, and since it also allows you to carry an extra Item, that should be interpreted to mean that the Item being used by Hireling could be Big, even if you are already carrying a Big Item.

Class- and Race-based Hirelings, like Thief Hireling and Bard Hireling, almost all say the same thing about the ability to carry and use an Item. Given the context, the statement about bonuses and abilities can only be referring to the Item, and not the Race or Class of the Hireling. I'm comfortable that none of those Hirelings give you any abilities of the Class or Race for which they are named, only the abilities as stated on the cards.

As for the Thief Hireling's extra hand, it means that you have an extra hand with which to use Hand Items. So, yes, if you were using a Item that needs 2 Hands, you can now use another Hand Item.

Finally: The sex of a Hireling is based on its appearance on the card. This is stated in the rules for Hirelings in any of the sets and expansions that come with Hireling cards. Theoretically, it should be obvious. If you have a question about a specific Hireling, please let us know.
If Hirelings race isn't mentioned, can he use any race specific items? (e.g. Can a Thief Hireling use "Bow with Ribbons"?).
Thnx!
Old 11-27-2017, 02:57 AM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norse View Post
The 2 Hirelings that seem unclear to us are the gnome and theif hireling. (For example, the gnome hireling is just a tuba on legs according to the card art.)
The Gnome Hireling is male. I can't find an image of the Thief Hireling online, so I'll have to check at the office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melifton View Post
If Hirelings race isn't mentioned, can he use any race specific items? (e.g. Can a Thief Hireling use "Bow with Ribbons"?).
Thnx!
No. Hirelings don't have a race unless the title of the card says they do.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Old 11-27-2017, 04:30 AM   #6
Melifton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
No. Hirelings don't have a race unless the title of the card says they do.
Does it mean that their race is human and it will effect the monsters with bonuses/penalties vs humans?
Thnx again!
Old 11-27-2017, 07:13 AM   #7
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melifton View Post
Does it mean that their race is human and it will effect the monsters with bonuses/penalties vs humans?
Thnx again!
No, it means they have no Race at all. Hirelings are ciphers unless otherwise defined.

Old 05-13-2018, 12:17 PM   #8
Elrealchipa

So just to be clear, having a thief hireling doesn't allow me to backstab or a bard hireling doesnt allow me to enthrall and so on correct?
Old 05-13-2018, 03:40 PM   #9
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrealchipa View Post
So just to be clear, having a thief hireling doesn't allow me to backstab or a bard hireling doesnt allow me to enthrall and so on correct?
Correct. Hirelings give you exactly what abilities are listed on their cards, plus the generic Hireling abilities found in the rules. Nothing else.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:02 AM   #10
TheGreyKlerik

the Hireling: Lance card says "Lance gives you +10 when fighting Dragons!"
does that mean ANY number of dragons? as in 1+?
i guess i would read this as multiple dragons.
Closed Thread