Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 08-02-2017, 09:01 AM   #51
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: I was hoping for this

I suppose the most basic question of all has yet to be asked: Will it play the same way the boardgame does?

In particular, is it turn-based, with the phases set up the same way (recover,move,fire,2nd move)?

and a bit more generally, is there anything that will be in the game that is NOT in the boardgame? I don't mean pretty colors and mushroom clouds, I mean differences in the game mechanics (eg, "fog of war" stuff).

I would personally be very unhappy if a direct 1-1 translation was not possible. It's ok to add things that are not "True Ogre" as long as they can be disabled so you can play a true version of the boardgame; but anything "extra" should come after the 1-1 translation is finished. I want Ogre, not something that looks like Ogre.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:21 AM   #52
AurochJake

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
I suppose the most basic question of all has yet to be asked: Will it play the same way the boardgame does?

In particular, is it turn-based, with the phases set up the same way (recover,move,fire,2nd move)?

and a bit more generally, is there anything that will be in the game that is NOT in the boardgame? I don't mean pretty colors and mushroom clouds, I mean differences in the game mechanics (eg, "fog of war" stuff).

I would personally be very unhappy if a direct 1-1 translation was not possible. It's ok to add things that are not "True Ogre" as long as they can be disabled so you can play a true version of the boardgame; but anything "extra" should come after the 1-1 translation is finished. I want Ogre, not something that looks like Ogre.
The short answer to this is yes :)

The game is turn-based, and we're definitely going for an adaptation rather than an interpretation.

As for additions which weren't in the original; I'll add this to the set of questions for the designer. I'm sure he'll be able to answer this in more detail than I can! :)
AurochJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:21 PM   #53
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Since this is where most of the game-specific comments have been, I'll keep putting them here.

Restated: take a look at how different types of terrain "bleedover" interact. The one I noticed in the samples today show Trees bleeding into Towns; that's weird.

PBEM: Does Steam have any facility for PBEM play or do you have to play live with someone? It would be nice if you had the ability to send turn results to each other if you didn't have the time to dedicate to playing a full game at once (yes, that's a weird thought for something that's _designed_ to be a <1 hour game).
Old 08-16-2017, 09:52 PM   #54
dwalend

Quote:
PBEM: Does Steam have any facility for PBEM play or do you have to play live with someone?
There's the "Steam Turn Notification" which may be that. (All new to me, too. I'd have been fine with tan and black hexagons in a scrolling browser app. All this landscape exploding is bonus.)
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:07 AM   #55
AurochJake

Quote:
Since this is where most of the game-specific comments have been, I'll keep putting them here.

Restated: take a look at how different types of terrain "bleedover" interact. The one I noticed in the samples today show Trees bleeding into Towns; that's weird.

PBEM: Does Steam have any facility for PBEM play or do you have to play live with someone? It would be nice if you had the ability to send turn results to each other if you didn't have the time to dedicate to playing a full game at once (yes, that's a weird thought for something that's _designed_ to be a <1 hour game).
As Dwalend says above, the game can be played asynchronously and you'll receive a notification when it's your turn - this also means you can have multiple games running at once, which we like the idea of. As turns can take upwards of five minutes, we thought it best to allow players to log in and out and take turns when it suits them.

We hope this sounds ok to you folks?

Re: the graphical feedback, we'll take it on board and see whether it's something to reconsider :)
Old 08-17-2017, 07:40 AM   #56
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AurochJake View Post
As Dwalend says above, the game can be played asynchronously and you'll receive a notification when it's your turn - this also means you can have multiple games running at once, which we like the idea of. As turns can take upwards of five minutes, we thought it best to allow players to log in and out and take turns when it suits them.

We hope this sounds ok to you folks?
That sounds cool. I've never dealt with Steam multiplayer before, so the question is out of ignorance more than anything. :-)

Quote:
Re: the graphical feedback, we'll take it on board and see whether it's something to reconsider :)
Sure. I'll certainly be able to live with it if you don't change things; it's a minor observance. ;-)
Old 08-17-2017, 01:01 PM   #57
hcobb

How will you handle overruns when the other player(s) is offline?
Old 08-17-2017, 04:17 PM   #58
piningforthefjords

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
How will you handle overruns when the other player(s) is offline?
In PBEM when an overrun starts then the turn pauses and the defender takes a mini turn, picking their targets and doing the rolls. Once the defenders have finished firing it goes back to the attacker, who finishes his turn.

This pause may be several hours or days, depending on peoples schedules.

If the defender has any units surviving then the turn pauses again and so forth.

Would it be similar mechanic in the computer game?

TK
Old 08-17-2017, 07:14 PM   #59
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by piningforthefjords View Post
In PBEM when an overrun starts then the turn pauses and the defender takes a mini turn, picking their targets and doing the rolls. Once the defenders have finished firing it goes back to the attacker, who finishes his turn.
Would it be similar mechanic in the computer game?
I'd hope that once it's down to zero choices we'd have an option to let the game engine finish it out directly even if we aren't waiting on the other player. An overrun of one HVY vs 1 INF, for example, just plays out how the dice say.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:36 AM   #60
AurochJake

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
I'd hope that once it's down to zero choices we'd have an option to let the game engine finish it out directly even if we aren't waiting on the other player. An overrun of one HVY vs 1 INF, for example, just plays out how the dice say.
Almost exactly this. We considered the fairest way to resolve this while also taking into account the time it would take to resolve an Overrun combat stage, so we came to the decision that the Defender in Overrun is controlled by the AI.

We'd be keen to hear everyone's thoughts on this. I appreciate it takes some control away from the player, but Overrun could literally take weeks to resolve otherwise, so we thought this to be the fairest compromise.