Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 01-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
johnnyRolePlayer

Default When do you remove a curse and how do you equip carried items?

I know you remove a curse once a penalty takes effect, there were some cards that seemed to stay without a way to get rid of it.

Also, on items that are carried but not equipped, how do you unequip an item so you can use the carried item. I had a big two hand item of +4. I then put down a big two hand that was +5. I could not equip the +5 because I already had one, so it was being carried.

How would I ever get to play the +5 and either carry or get rid of the +4?

Thanks.
johnnyRolePlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
d-vils_wingman

Default Re: When do you remove a curse and how do you equip carried items?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyRolePlayer View Post
I know you remove a curse once a penalty takes effect, there were some cards that seemed to stay without a way to get rid of it.

Also, on items that are carried but not equipped, how do you unequip an item so you can use the carried item. I had a big two hand item of +4. I then put down a big two hand that was +5. I could not equip the +5 because I already had one, so it was being carried.

How would I ever get to play the +5 and either carry or get rid of the +4?

Thanks.
You remove a curse as soon as it hits you, preferably before it takes effect if at all possible. If you couldn't and it stays in play affecting you, remove it when you are able to. Otherwise, yes it still affects you until removed.
You can equip/unequip items at any time on your turn other than combat.
Unless you have an ability to play multiple Big items, you can only have one in play. By "in play", it means everything you have on the table. You can't wield a big two-handed sword and be carrying another big item unused on the side without something that allows for multiple big items.

Last edited by d-vils_wingman; 01-02-2012 at 08:19 PM. Reason: correction
d-vils_wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #3
snarky

To clarify, there are specific cards that allow you to lift persistent curses, such as the Wishing Ring.
snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
johnnyRolePlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-vils_wingman View Post
You remove a curse as soon as it hits you, preferably before it takes effect if at all possible. If you couldn't and it stays in play affecting you, remove it when you are able to. Otherwise, yes it still affects you until removed.
You can equip/unequip items at any time on your turn other than combat.
Unless you have an ability to play multiple Big items, you can only have one in play. By "in play", it means everything you have on the table. You can't wield a big two-handed sword and be carrying another big item unused on the side without something that allows for multiple big items.
That's the same with carrying any item isn't it? You can't have a footgear that you are equipped and using and at the same time be "carrying" one can you?
johnnyRolePlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
snarky

Quote:
That's the same with carrying any item isn't it? You can't have a footgear that you are equipped and using and at the same time be "carrying" one can you?
You absolutely can be carrying a footgear and using a different footgear at the same time. You can even swap between them, as long as you're not in combat at the time.

You can have any number of SMALL Items in play at any time (and "SMALL" is defined by the game as "not BIG").

BIG items have a separate restriction of only one BIG item being carried or used, barring an effect that allows otherwise.

Last edited by snarky; 01-03-2012 at 03:11 PM.
snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:44 AM   #6
MunchkinMan

Quote:
I know Snarky said it already, but I'll repeat it. Normally, you can carry (i.e., have in play) any number of small Items and one Big Item. Normally, you may use (i.e. derive a special ability or bonus from) 1 Headgear, 1 Armor, 1 Footgear, and 2 Hands worth of Hand Items. You also use any Item which doesn't specifically go into one of those slots, assuming you're not prevented from using it due to a Race, Class or gender restriction (a good example is Kneepads of Allure, which doesn't go to a specific body area and can't be used by Clerics). The rules specifically state that cards you are carrying, but can't use must be turned sideways. This includes cards that are Race/Class restricted and extras "not being worn," which basically means you can have 2 Footgear in play (carried) but only getting the benefits of (use) one of them. The extra Footgear must be turned sideways.

As for your Curse question: A Wishing Ring prevents a curse from taking effect if played when the Curse was first played on you, but can also remove most Curses which have a persistent effect (like Curse! Chicken On Your Head). However, some Curses specify that once they take effect, they cannot be removed with a Wishing Ring.
MiB #1029

Last edited by Andrew Hackard; 01-04-2012 at 09:25 AM. Reason: minor change to last clause; added a sentence
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
curse, items, munchkin zombies