Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 12-30-2013, 05:33 AM   #1
JoeyJoeJoeJuniorShabadoo

Default Rule Clarifying

Still so glad I've gotten back into this game since I picked it up coming back from Afghanistan. It's remaining a big hit with the newer of the gaming groups I play with.

I'm just hoping somebody could clear a few things up for me. I've since dug into the rules and looked about, and things that have since been made apparent to me I've written in bold.

Face-up Cards:
The face-up cards referred to in-game cards and seen in TableTop are simply the discards, yes? Those are placed in the discard pile face-up?
This has been clarified for me. If a card says 'draw a face-up treasure' that just means a new treasure, but place it face down before putting it into your hand, allowing others to see.

General Card Management and Charity:
This is a big one for me, but I'm gripping it now.

I remember there being a chunk about this in the rules, unfortunately as mentioned I don't have my rulebook.
If I could get an elaboration on cards and the concept of the Charity part. How many cards can you hold? Is it infinite as it appears in TableTop (thanks to editing the show down to 30 minutes)? Not including the items you have equipped, is there a limit to Race cards you can hold, how many potions/items and such?

From what I've read - players have their items equipped (two one-handed items plus one two-handed/big), then items carried (infinite one-handed, one two-handed/big) which are turned sideways. Players can tuck their cards in to being carried to avoid charity, apparently? So what do you give away - anything? I (evidently like others here) thought it was just items, things with a defined gold value, but apparently it's anything?

We've not had too many problems, but what must you pass down to the lowest-level player? If I draw a few level 1 monsters at the start into my hand, can I just hold on to them all to play at the end of the game? What cards can you just straight-up discard (i.e. "Hey, I have Elf, Cleric, two Thief cards and a Warrior, I only want to be an Elf")?
Somebody has since cleared it up that you can't retain race cards. Do you simply play them when you get them, or lose them for good, then?
With sideways cards, as I've read here - seems in essence you keep your items (cards with gold value) on the table, with things you have equipped facing vertically and items 'carried' being horizontal (adhering to rules such as 'big' limits).

Expansions:
Do you just end up with an enormous 6-inch-high pile of cards players draw from? And on that note, Fairy Dust, is it a pile that's meant to be kept separately?
Apparently I actually had this right. I've yet to get ones such as the Dungeons add-on, I'll assume that will be different but I know they come with a rulebook.

Game Start:
Is TableTop correct? After starting the game, people equip their weapons and play their races and such when they start? This sort of makes me think going last would be better, as the first player might come across a superior monster and can't be offered any help, as the others wouldn't have equipped anything.
Apparently it's a case of "either or".

Cheers for any assistance, all. Happy New Year.
JoeyJoeJoeJuniorShabadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Rule Clarifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoeJoeJuniorShabadoo View Post

Face-up Cards:
The face-up cards referred to in-game cards and seen in TableTop are simply the discards, yes? Those are placed in the discard pile face-up?
This has been clarified for me. If a card says 'draw a face-up treasure' that just means a new treasure, but place it face down before putting it into your hand, allowing others to see.
I assume you meant face-up there. But, yes, a face-up draw means that the card you took off the appropriate deck is shown to the entire party.

Quote:
General Card Management and Charity:
This is a big one for me, but I'm gripping it now.

I remember there being a chunk about this in the rules, unfortunately as mentioned I don't have my rulebook.
All the rules sheets, in their most recent form, are available at www.worldofmunchkincom/rules

Quote:
If I could get an elaboration on cards and the concept of the Charity part. How many cards can you hold? Is it infinite as it appears in TableTop (thanks to editing the show down to 30 minutes)? Not including the items you have equipped, is there a limit to Race cards you can hold, how many potions/items and such?

From what I've read - players have their items equipped (two one-handed items plus one two-handed/big), then items carried (infinite one-handed, one two-handed/big) which are turned sideways. Players can tuck their cards in to being carried to avoid charity, apparently? So what do you give away - anything? I (evidently like others here) thought it was just items, things with a defined gold value, but apparently it's anything?
Hmmm. Okay, let me try to break everything down. You have a hand of cards (the cards that you do not have in play). That is limited to 5 cards at the end of your turn. You may normally have one Race and one Class in play. You may carry (i.e., have in play) any number of Small Items and one Big Item (small Items are the ones not marked Big). Of the Items you are carrying, you may use (i.e., get a bonus or special ability from) two Hands worth of Hand Items (i.e., two Items that use one Hand, or one Item that uses two Hands), one Armor Item, one Headgear Item, and one Footgear Item.

Quote:
We've not had too many problems, but what must you pass down to the lowest-level player? If I draw a few level 1 monsters at the start into my hand, can I just hold on to them all to play at the end of the game? What cards can you just straight-up discard (i.e. "Hey, I have Elf, Cleric, two Thief cards and a Warrior, I only want to be an Elf")?
Somebody has since cleared it up that you can't retain race cards. Do you simply play them when you get them, or lose them for good, then?
With sideways cards, as I've read here - seems in essence you keep your items (cards with gold value) on the table, with things you have equipped facing vertically and items 'carried' being horizontal (adhering to rules such as 'big' limits).
Charity works like this: At the end of your turn, your hand must be 5 cards or less. If you have more than 5 cards, then you must give the excess to the lowest level player(s), unless you are lowest or tied for lowest. In that case, you discard the excess cards from your hand. In both cases, it does not matter what kind of cards you give to other players or discard, since they are just cards.

As I said before, Items you have in play are carried, used or not, and yes, you turn the Items you are not currently using sideways.

Quote:
Expansions:
Do you just end up with an enormous 6-inch-high pile of cards players draw from? And on that note, Fairy Dust, is it a pile that's meant to be kept separately?
Apparently I actually had this right. I've yet to get ones such as the Dungeons add-on, I'll assume that will be different but I know they come with a rulebook.
Unless the specific set, expansion, or booster says otherwise, you'll stack all the Doors together and all the Treasures together. Obviously, different card types will be expressly discussed in the rules for the set, expansion, or booster.

Quote:
Game Start:
Is TableTop correct? After starting the game, people equip their weapons and play their races and such when they start? This sort of makes me think going last would be better, as the first player might come across a superior monster and can't be offered any help, as the others wouldn't have equipped anything.
Apparently it's a case of "either or".
Yes and no. The rules say that before the game starts, you can create your character. However, it's a "may," not a "must" kind of thing, so it's not necessary that you do that. However, I insist on it for my games, since, you're right: If you go first, you get shafted in the potential help department.
So, though it's not wrong, it's also not the only right way, either.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote