Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 03-28-2013, 11:47 PM   #1
ekovv

Default What would happen here? (Multiple Monsters)

We were playing with 3 people total. Two of us were at level 9, and my friend was an Atomic Zombie, which has the fire/flame damage. He kicked open the door and drew a monster which is automatically killed by fire/flame, but I used the Wandering Monster card and put down a level 20 with a bunch of enhancements that he couldn't beat. So would he get the level and win from the first monster even though I threw out another while he was in combat?
ekovv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:55 PM   #2
Blazinjsin

Default Re: What would happen here? (Multiple Monsters)

I believe that he would win right then, because you always get the level when you kill a monster (unless another card says otherwise). It might have to wait until combat technically ends, but I'm pretty sure he wins either way.

Check out my trades ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 🍕
Blazinjsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:10 AM   #3
Clipper

I'm sorry, but you're wrong there, Blaz. You only get the level if you win the combat. The unbreakable rules section of the rules makes that clear:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rules
3. You cannot collect rewards for defeating a monster (e.g., Treasure, levels) in the middle of a combat. You must finish the fight before gaining any rewards.
I've seen it officially ruled that way too in a few threads.

Playing a Wandering Monster in this situation is a totally valid way to stop the win.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:07 AM   #4
Blazinjsin

Your quote only says you have to finish the combat not win it. I was basing that thought on a ruling made relatively recently that if you auto defeat a monster when other monsters are present, and someone steals the combat with a Transferral Potion, you still get the level for the monster you auto killed, regardless of the outcome of the combat. Did a quick search and couldn't find it, but you may remember which one I'm talking about.

Check out my trades ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 🍕
Blazinjsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:20 AM   #5
Morgul_Maggot

Had to use a little "search-fu", but I think this will help:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
You never get any rewards from a combat unless you kill, drive off, etc. ALL monsters in the combat.
from this thread:

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=50757
Old 03-29-2013, 02:21 AM   #6
Clipper

It works with Transferral Potion because your combat never ended. If you lose, you get nothing, as shown in that thread linked by Morgul_Maggot (thanks).
Old 03-29-2013, 06:08 AM   #7
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazinjsin View Post
Your quote only says you have to finish the combat not win it. I was basing that thought on a ruling made relatively recently that if you auto defeat a monster when other monsters are present, and someone steals the combat with a Transferral Potion, you still get the level for the monster you auto killed, regardless of the outcome of the combat. Did a quick search and couldn't find it, but you may remember which one I'm talking about.
You'd still have to wait for the other combat to end before you got your rewards. So, if the other players could somehow win against any remaining Monsters and also gain the winning Level, shared victory. But, again, this is the 101 forum, which is not the home for significant debates and rules bickering. Given the exact situation that the OP asked about: It was a legal play to attempt to stop the player in combat from winning immediately. If he defeats the Monster, either by killing it or removing it legally in such a way that doesn't count as losing the combat, then he gets the winning Level.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atomic zombie, fire, flame, multiple monsters, zombies