Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 10-02-2020, 07:06 PM   #1
RPGMunchkin

Default Getting Help and playing a GUAL card in combat

I had an argument with a player about when you can play a Go Up A Level card. I need a definitive answer to put this thing to bed once and for all. Here is how things happened that led to me needing help here.

I'm in a game with 3 others. I am Lv 7 (not an elf) and in my hand is a GUAL card. I Kick Down The Door and reveal a monster that I can NOT defeat by myself and the monster gives 2 levels upon defeat. Another player (also not an elf) offers to help me defeat the monster. I accept and then play the GUAL card as it would bump me to Lv 8 and then the monster would be defeated with the other players help, thus giving me 2 more levels to win the game. This is where all things fall apart and the argument starts.

Going back over the rules sheet, it says that a GUAL card can be played at anytime except if that would put you to Lv 10 and give you the win. So could you play it in combat after accepting some one's offer to help but BEFORE you calculate whether you can defeat the monster? There was also an issue of when is combat technically finished.
RPGMunchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:05 AM   #2
Fufu

Default Re: Getting Help and playing a GUAL card in combat

Yes. A player can win this way.

GUAL cards turning combat into winning level

Otherwise, the helper is kicked out of the fight automatically if they were forced or compelled that became the winning level.

Two big rule changes, effective immediately
Fufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:10 AM   #3
berger

My understanding is that yes you can play a GUAL card that way. However, in the scenario that you described the fight now became for the win and the helper can back out of the fight given the new rules that Fufu is linking to.
berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:55 PM   #4
Nobunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by berger View Post
My understanding is that yes you can play a GUAL card that way. However, in the scenario that you described the fight now became for the win and the helper can back out of the fight given the new rules that Fufu is linking to.

Except, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by from Rule Change
This rule does not apply to voluntary helpers, who should have thought harder about what they were getting into.
Emphasis added.
Nobunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:53 AM   #5
RPGMunchkin

I thought it was a legal move. The other player tried to find an excuse to say that it wasn't, including saying it was "unethical". They went so far as to send a help request straight to SJGames and the response they got was different than the ones here. I didn't see the question they asked so I don't know if they worded it differently to get a response they would want. It was a fringe situation and not one I would see me doing often.
RPGMunchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:54 PM   #6
Miley Spears

You can't play a gual card if you're level 9. But if you're 8 I don't think there's a problem if you go to level 10 after that.
Old 11-14-2020, 05:02 PM   #7
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMunchkin View Post
I thought it was a legal move. The other player tried to find an excuse to say that it wasn't, including saying it was "unethical". They went so far as to send a help request straight to SJGames and the response they got was different than the ones here. I didn't see the question they asked so I don't know if they worded it differently to get a response they would want. It was a fringe situation and not one I would see me doing often.
If a player offers to help you and you then make the fight for the win, that's smart play on your part -- the helped can't make out if they joined you voluntarily. Playing that GUAL that turns it into a fight for the win after you accept a helper is legal, but a compelled helper can remove themself from the fight.

It is worth noting that this rule change is relatively recent (I'd have to check, but I want to say within the last five years), so long-time players may not know about this.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote