Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 11-27-2017, 05:18 AM   #21
AurochJake

Default Re: Question on 'Ramming'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
So I just did a game where I used a Mk. V to ram a SHVY. Upon ramming, it rolled under 4, so it was disabled. I fired six SB at it, and got a second disabled -- it wasn't destroyed. At the start of their turn, the SHVY scooted away unscathed.
Oops, that doesn't sound right! As GranitePenguin says below, when you encounter an issue like this it would be great if you could close the game and send me over your output log with as much information as possible on how to recreate the issue. If you need any help in doing this, check out the instructions here.

Thanks a lot, and apologies for the error!
AurochJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:17 AM   #22
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
So I just did a game where I used a Mk. V to ram a SHVY. Upon ramming, it rolled under 4, so it was disabled. I fired six SB at it, and got a second disabled -- it wasn't destroyed. At the start of their turn, the SHVY scooted away unscathed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AurochJake View Post
Oops, that doesn't sound right!
That sounds wrong on a couple different levels, too.
  • The second disable not destroying the unit
  • The unit recovering and able to move immediately on the next turn (should be disabled for a full turn)
Old 11-27-2017, 10:20 AM   #23
Mack_JB

I may need to just delete and reload the game. I know one of my computer's two cooling fans is getting wonky, but I don't think that would affect all this.

Really though, I just play this as a popcorn filler, I am finding the AI opponent plays far differently than a human opponent, and once you get a few games in, you develop a strategy that works every time, bad die rolls and wonkiness included.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:24 PM   #24
GuyMacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AurochJake View Post
when you encounter an issue like this it would be great if you could close the game and send me over your output log with as much information as possible on how to recreate the issue.
When reporting crashes/freezes, I have been sending the log while the game is frozen. Is there any advantage to closing the game before sending the log?
GuyMacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:31 PM   #25
GuyMacon

Quote:
I am finding the AI opponent plays far differently than a human opponent, and once you get a few games in, you develop a strategy that works every time
One of these day, after most of the bugs are fixed, I am hoping that we will see an A.I. that learns from past games and tries new things the next time.
GuyMacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:36 PM   #26
Dave Crowell

[QUOTE=Mack_JB;2138909 I am finding the AI opponent plays far differently than a human opponent, and once you get a few games in, you develop a strategy that works every time, bad die rolls and wonkiness included.[/QUOTE]

It is still smarter than the AI in the old game. Once you figured out the targeting priorities it was very easy to beat.

This one just seems to have a problem with not making the mission objectives, achieving its own and stopping you achieving yours, first priority. It wants to shoot things instead!
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:47 PM   #27
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Crowell View Post

This one just seems to have a problem with not making the mission objectives, achieving its own and stopping you achieving yours, first priority. It wants to shoot things instead!
it definitely seems to have a higher priority to shooting things that can shoot back, regardless if they are relevant or not.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:02 PM   #28
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Crowell View Post
That's a favorite strategy of mine, recommended by Mr. Jackson himself. Shooting things that shoot back early pays off early. "The Command Post is the reward for annihilating the defenders."

Most scenarios give no extra reward for taking an objective early. The exceptions still limit it to earlier than some threshold that leaves time to shoot up the opposition.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:04 PM   #29
Mack_JB

That's my usual strategy too. If I can go two or three hexes sideways to snag hits on a GEV or HVY, I'll do that instead of making a beeline for the CP. Just yesterday I played a game where my opponent had his GEV escape, but not far enough, and I jinked hard right and crushed one, and shot up two others.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:17 PM   #30
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
That's my usual strategy too. If I can go two or three hexes sideways to snag hits on a GEV or HVY, I'll do that instead of making a beeline for the CP. Just yesterday I played a game where my opponent had his GEV escape, but not far enough, and I jinked hard right and crushed one, and shot up two others.
If I have an opportunity to take out a GEV in the midgame, I'll usually take it. GEVs ultimately end up being the achilles heel if they are allowed to survive into the endgame. An Ogre that is M2 and has no MB or missiles left can't kill them unless they make a mistake.