Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-09-2020, 09:24 AM   #91
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: PDF Challenge Mix and Match (66 Combos)

Combination 62a: The Starport Bordello

62) GURPS Template Toolkit 3: Starship Crew and GURPS Monster Hunters Encounters 1

Stopping in at a port, The crew discovers one of their friends is missing. It may be a crew-member, or it may be a formally reliable contact. Some quick investigation reveals they disappeared in a Bordello. Some quick investigation reveals that local law enforcement is turning an utterly blind eye. If they want their friend back, they'll have to confront this themselves.

Note: space vampires are usually psychic rather than strait vampires. Which in some ways makes the Bordello even more appropriate for space opera.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 08:02 AM   #92
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 63a: Warship for Hire
63) GURPS Template Toolkit 3: Starship Crew and GURPS Action 7: Mercenaries

The Great Coreward war cost billions of lives and broke the power of half the empires it was in, while exhausting the so-called victors. Planets and Peoples, Creeds and Criminals, have declared independence in the wake of the collapse. Each jealous of its borders, and ambitious to claim its place in the world. The posturing and political maneuvering resulting will employ three generations of historians.

The key to these wars is surplus military equipment, and the small bands of soldiers who run them. Especially the warships. You have possession of one of these ships. Its your ticket to earn food, and your protection in a time and place when security is sparse. But with a warship comes a duty to use it well. You can save cities, or you can destroy them. Who will you side with? will you win? and what is worth dying for?

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 11-10-2020 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:37 AM   #93
Kale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Combination 63a: Warship for Hire
Reminds me of the anime Starship Operators. A crew of mostly cadets is out on a training cruise in deep space when their nation is conquered by a hostile neighbor. The cadets go AWOL with the ship rather than surrender. The anime had some interesting points about the political and logistical implications of running a military vessel like that without the direct support of a nation-state.
Old 11-10-2020, 03:21 PM   #94
Christopher R. Rice

I just wanted to say this thread is really great and you've done a bang up job here. Very creative stuff. As one of the writers - thank you. :-)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:50 AM   #95
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

And that's it: all 66 combinations! combination 66, the Greater Matrioska Horror, was done towards the beginning of the thread, and its a good one. I've indexed all of the ideas in the second post.

If you have any ideas or new combinations feel free to keep posting them.

I hope we've all gained a better understanding of those 12 small PDF's we got for such an excellent deal. I know I've gained a better appreciation for several of them, including one I'd have never used otherwise. (the monster in beyond the pale can stand alone without the adventure, and even be completed re-fluffed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale View Post
Reminds me of the anime Starship Operators. A crew of mostly cadets is out on a training cruise in deep space when their nation is conquered by a hostile neighbor. The cadets go AWOL with the ship rather than surrender. The anime had some interesting points about the political and logistical implications of running a military vessel like that without the direct support of a nation-state.
The amount of tie-ins the Starship Crew generates is just astounding. It will be a very useful book, I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
I just wanted to say this thread is really great and you've done a bang up job here. Very creative stuff. As one of the writers - thank you. :-)
Thanks for reading, thanks for commenting, and thanks for writing them in the first place. I suspected that people were following this series, but I can't tell for sure until you say something.

Old 06-28-2021, 09:21 AM   #96
thorr-kan

We're gonna need a thread like this for the 2021 PDF challenge...
thorr-kan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:21 PM   #97
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
We're gonna need a thread like this for the 2021 PDF challenge...
I'd love to do this again. It was a lot of fun, really helped me understand some of the books, and was a great creative exercise.

Its also very challenging creatively. I may do my portions slower this next time. I may also try and figure out a better order to do them in. I'm glad you liked it though!

And I really hope we get to do the full 66 this time!

Old 06-28-2021, 05:14 PM   #98
thorr-kan

Quote:
I'd love to do this again. It was a lot of fun, really helped me understand some of the books, and was a great creative exercise.

Its also very challenging creatively. I may do my portions slower this next time. I may also try and figure out a better order to do them in. I'm glad you liked it though!

What's missing from this one?
Old 06-29-2021, 07:39 AM   #99
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
What's missing from this one?

Nothing: I want to make sure that we get all 12 pdf's in 2021. If we only get 11 pdf's, we only have 55 combinations. We need to make sure the next one hits all of the stretch goals!

Old 06-29-2021, 09:05 AM   #100
thorr-kan

Quote:
Nothing: I want to make sure that we get all 12 pdf's in 2021. If we only get 11 pdf's, we only have 55 combinations. We need to make sure the next one hits all of the stretch goals!
<Fails comprehension reading rolls.> Right. I knew what you meant. :)

I'm hoping for a full 12 as well. I enjoy reading various small supplements.