Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-09-2020, 04:21 PM   #1
OldSam

Default Perception in combat / Awareness

hello folks, how do you handle perception in combat situations? (Or maybe there is an article or official rules section about that?)

For instance, let's say a character moves around a corner, facing a big room. There are some tables and chairs, a few persons standing at the center and a few persons standing at the side. One of the persons at the side carries a rifle, not hidden but also not super obvious, more "relaxed".

Would you say a character entering the room should get that information immediately and "for free"? Or would you roll perception? Or something else...?

And: In case you'd say it needs perception, does it also take a turn to perceive? Or would you say the roll is neccessary but the perception works instantaneous?
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:09 PM   #2
clu2415

Default Re: Perception in combat / Awareness

This works like in real life. You see obvious things in front of you immediately. If reaction time matters, you may not be able to scan the corners of the room to your left and right until you have a combat action. Looking around could be combined with some things, but definitely not attacking or aiming.

As for the perception modifiers, start with +10 for in plain sight. -2, maybe only -1 due to size, range penalty—let’s say -4 (7-10 yards) if it’s a big room. Maybe throw on a -1 or -2 if it’s on the far side of their body. We have 10-2-4=+4 total modifier. An ordinary person would be rolling against Perception 14, a ~90% chance of success. Probably save some time and just tell the players.
clu2415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:20 PM   #3
Plane

if you're trying to take in many details at once I like the idea of applying 'repeated use' penalties.

Like for example if you walk into a room and there are 100 goblins in that room, even though they're all in your field of vision, you might not be able to instantaneously count them all, note what kind of weapon each one is holding, visible armor gaps, etc...

I guess occasional crit fails cover that if your Per is high enough to account for all SM penalties but repeated use would probably help realistically limit what you can absord too.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:55 PM   #4
Rupert

If you're trying to spot details across a wide area, the penalties used for Opportunity Fire (B390) might be appropriate.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 07:28 AM   #5
Michele

There are three factors here:

1. visibility,
2. body language, given the "relaxed" posture of the gunman,
3. training. This can be taken as a resolution choice on its own, or just contribute a bonus to any of the former two.

In general, I'd just follow the guidelines under Situational Awareness, in GURPS Tactical Shooting (p. 11).

The "relaxed" posture of the gunman might be the way to go for somebody who has a high level in Body Language, and then that would be a Quick Contest (Acting vs. Body Language). But it seems a roundabout way to do it, if the gun is visible. The character would have to "read" multiple bodies (which might require some time, or a hefty penalty if attempted at once), understand one is not at all as relaxed as it might seem, and then notice the gun.

Finally, while that section of Tactical Shooting mentions Per, Observation, or Per-based Soldier or Tactics skill, I'd consider the character's background and skills to see whether there isn't some other relevant skill to use. For instance, Law Enforcement is a Professional Skill (in GURPS Mysteries, IIRC). I suspect a cop working in a gangland district in Moscow would be trained to look for guns anywhere he goes, and would be entitled to a Per-based roll against this skill, if that gives him a higher score than straight Per. Likewise, I don't know what would be the highest profession-related skill of a US Secret Service agent on bodyguard duty, but if it's not Observation, I'd consider it anyway for a Per-based roll.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:19 AM   #6
OldSam

Thanks all so far! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
There are three factors here:
In general, I'd just follow the guidelines under Situational Awareness, in GURPS Tactical Shooting (p. 11).
Especially thanks for that official reference, helps a lot!
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opportunity fire, plain sight