Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 02-17-2008, 04:02 AM   #61
t@nya

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRailgun
And it probably will, as Munchkin does better and better. I hope they realize, however... that without all the non-GURPS products, there might not be a SJG right now.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as I remember, it wasn't that long ago that the company seemed in dire straits. Muchkin to the rescue!
True, but I don't agree that they'll stop producing GURPS products.
t@nya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:23 AM   #62
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl
Could we not be seeing the possibly to finally bee seed GURPS Genre for starters in a box?

A version of that idea has been suggested before.
Preferably a version of GURPS that fits in the same box size that SJG uses for MUNCHKIN and SPANC.

- Ed Charlton
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:49 AM   #63
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Could we not be seeing the possibly to finally bee seed GURPS Genre for starters in a box?
As expensive as hardcovers are to print, boxed games really start to shoot costs through the roof.

Personally, I think a problem with the RPG market is that RPGs do not look like games to the average consumer. A game, after all, should be in a box. There should be dice. There should be a board (or, at the very least, cards). And if it's a game, it should be shelved with the games and not with the books.

These days, I'm starting to think that the decline in RPG sales is slightly related to the decline in boxed RPGs. Parents shopping at Borders for a game are a lot more likely to pick up Munchkin -- hey, this looks like a game! -- than they are GURPS.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:50 AM   #64
RevBob

I wonder how the new Tribes box will affect this, if at all.

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:28 AM   #65
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed
As expensive as hardcovers are to print, boxed games really start to shoot costs through the roof.

Personally, I think a problem with the RPG market is that RPGs do not look like games to the average consumer. A game, after all, should be in a box. There should be dice. There should be a board (or, at the very least, cards). And if it's a game, it should be shelved with the games and not with the books.

These days, I'm starting to think that the decline in RPG sales is slightly related to the decline in boxed RPGs. Parents shopping at Borders for a game are a lot more likely to pick up Munchkin -- hey, this looks like a game! -- than they are GURPS.
Who said GURPS Genre for starters in a box would have hard cover rules, that is what the box is for 8) it that diffract the thing is targeted to.

A Soft over GURPS stylized for modern diplomacy and special ops, some figurines, 3d6, and hex-map embassy board, and you a replayable game, for get the document, protect the principet, or even capturer the target, games.

it look s like game to parents, but fully compatible with GURPS, so may the will look at those nice Hardback later

P.S. and Qoltar, yes I know it's a variant of something suggested n the past, hence the "finally"
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:57 AM   #66
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
A Soft over GURPS stylized for modern diplomacy and special ops, some figurines, 3d6, and hex-map embassy board, and you a replayable game, for get the document, protect the principet, or even capturer the target, games.
As a guess, what do you think the price point on something like this would be?
Old 02-17-2008, 08:57 AM   #67
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Who said GURPS Genre for starters in a box would have hard cover rules, that is what the box is for 8) it that diffract the thing is targeted to.
And you didn't understand. I'm not saying there would be a hardcover in the box. I'm saying that boxes are expensive. Period.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:03 PM   #68
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Probability compatible to Clue or Diplomacy, so when so I say figures should point I mean simple character markers, not miniatures.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:09 PM   #69
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Probability compatible to Clue or Diplomacy, so when so I say figures should point I mean simple character markers, not miniatures.
For us to make something like this profitable, I would estimate $75 or so retail for a box set like you're describing at a reasonable run.

We don't sit in the office and never have ideas. We run numbers. We bounce ideas off of each other. We talk to retailers, distributors, other publishers -- hell, even gamers. In short, we put our energy into figuring out what works and then working to do the best job that we can.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:14 PM   #70
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Compared to equivalent games on the market, $60-$80 MSRP.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote