Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 04-13-2005, 10:55 PM   #11
Ze'Manel Cunha

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson
Hrm. That would value the company at less than three million dollars . . . Yeah, *I* would buy some of that too :-)
Well then, what would you put that IPO level at?
I was also suggesting that you could draw in capital for specific projects.

In other words, say you had a great idea about licensing/purchasing some Intellectual Property, game, etc., and rereleasing it as an SJGames product. You're pretty sure it'll pay out mid-to-long term, but you know that'll take some immediate capital which you can't pull away from other needs at the moment.

You announce the project, create the SJGames Investment Company, draw in the capital investment to create the necessary fund and go from there. Just remember to pay us our dividends.

Quote:
I'm not saying I'd never sell out, but I think we're worth more than that. Uh oh, I bet THAT starts a thread!
Besides, there's a big difference between pulling in investment capital and selling out.

I know I for one would be feel quite comfortable in buying a few shares as part of a project you're working on; however, I'd be much more hesitant to buy any shares if that meant you're selling out.
It is your name on the product after all. *grin*
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 10:00 AM   #12
TheTozierousOne

To paraphrase and interpret, this may be a particularly welcome year for new creative talent.

Awesome.
TheTozierousOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 02:34 PM   #13
Mister Fowler

SJGames would be the first company I'd buy stock in. Go public, I'll support you SJ with what little I have.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:51 AM   #14
thona
Banned

I am not so sure. SjGames is a great company, but it is relatively small and it is in a very competitive business. The mmissing alternatives make a fair valuation relatively hard to come by. I would bet the SjGames is definitly worth more than 3 million dollars - the main question is just how much more it is worth. That is a very tricky thing mostly - I am CoB on a smll technology company, for example, and the last investor which wanted in (too bad, we do not need money) suddenly di put our valuation ad 8 million euros, right from the start (i.e. no negotiations, so the numbers are simply wrong, it should be higher). The real trick is that we did have our own valuation based on about half of this before in our plans. Not that anyone cared, as the last investor round we needed was a year ago :-) I really liked the implications, though, for going out and actually getting my hands on the valuation of my not so significant share :-)

But company valuations are a adamn tricky thing to do, especially if there is no other company out there doing the same thing. And no, Wizards does not count. Too different.
thona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:53 PM   #15
joewolz

I hope the 2006 report comes out soon. I really look forward to seeing how my favorite game company is doing, especially given the recent move.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:47 PM   #16
foxxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewolz
I hope the 2006 report comes out soon. I really look forward to seeing how my favorite game company is doing, especially given the recent move.
Mr Jackson said that he was just waiting for last years books to close so he could include that information. He said it should be "any day now" a week or so ago. I figure we'll see it by June. ;)
foxxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:34 PM   #17
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Aaaaaaand, the new one is posted. http://www.sjgames.com/general/stake.../report06.html
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:53 PM   #18
Hex
Banned

Quote:
Ask and thee shall receive...
Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:00 PM   #19
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

VERY Interesting read.

I very much appreciate the policy of NOT offering current 4th edition books as a pdf. - as I work in a "Brick & Mortar" Game Store - I'd rather we sell the physical books you can touch and leaf through.

Thanks Steve!!, Keep up the Good work!!

- Ed Charlton
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:05 PM   #20
Digren Kaellise

I hope this year goes as well as you expect. As always, I'll buy one copy of each new GURPS product at my local FLGS as it releases. I enjoy the read, even when I don't play in the genre.
Digren Kaellise is offline   Reply With Quote