Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 02-12-2009, 01:18 PM   #121
The Fox
Not-So-Secret Master /.\

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodGame
Possibly to this end, consider marketing Pyramid through other electronic sellers (e.g. RPGNOW) ?
I think I can safely say that as long as e23 exists in some form, you'll never see Pyramid on OneBookShelf.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:29 PM   #122
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodGame
As a GURPS-only fan, I want to say thanks for the radical redesign of Pyramid, though I'm sorry it's in the red.
As an alternate view, I'm fairly unsurprised at Pyramid being in the red. I subscribed to Pyramid for three reasons: playtesting, the bulletin boards, and pyramoo; the articles were not quite zero value for me, but came close (this isn't limited to Pyramid; gaming magazines in general don't do much for me). As such, the reduced number of playtests and the rise of the free forums had already pushed Pyramid well down my priority list, and the format change pushed Pyramid into the 'not worth paying for' column. The issues of new Pyramid I've seen have actually been pretty solid, but probably not interesting enough for me to resub.

I don't know how typical I am, but I doubt I'm unique.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:06 PM   #123
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company

The real question is whether or not anyone's willing to pay for that space.
Yep. I'm quite sure that we could accommodate someone's sordid desire to pay for advertising space . . .
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:26 PM   #124
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
As an alternate view, I'm fairly unsurprised at Pyramid being in the red. I subscribed to Pyramid for three reasons: playtesting, the bulletin boards, and pyramoo; the articles were not quite zero value for me, but came close (this isn't limited to Pyramid; gaming magazines in general don't do much for me). As such, the reduced number of playtests and the rise of the free forums had already pushed Pyramid well down my priority list, and the format change pushed Pyramid into the 'not worth paying for' column. The issues of new Pyramid I've seen have actually been pretty solid, but probably not interesting enough for me to resub.

*Shrug*

I subscribed for playtests and then discovered that the archives were more than worth the cost alone. The new issues were usually not interesting and without archive access*, I doubt I'll resubscribe.

Unless I do it just to support SJ Games, which is my reason for buying a lot of stuff that I know I'll never use.

*Thanks for making them available to me, btw. I don't think the search function is as robust, but something is better than nothing.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:02 PM   #125
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

I think of it as a very good thing that we have readers/users/players all over the planet, and paid contributors over a large part of it. Global economy, right?
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:38 PM   #126
c2h5oh

You wouldn't be alone in this thought. I recently read a history of the British Empire (from pirates in the 17th century to dissolution in the '50s) that painted globalisation in terms of free movement of labor to the most rewarding markets as being a major factor in equalising wealth between countries, and pointing out that since labor movement has been restricted disparities have increased. International contributors and purchasers should be equivalent to free movement of labor, but without all that nasty travel in either climate wrecking jets or leaky, slow, poorly constructed sailing ships.

I shall stop here, since I think that this posting is now getting wildly off topic.

My apologies.
c2h5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:03 PM   #127
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony

Personally I would probably have been willing to pay CA$40/year for the archives and articles. I was surprised that Pyramid was barely breaking even, although the news did explain some things. I don't know how many issues of the new version I'll buy because my interests are somewhat specialized (I have no interest in supers and little in the post-apocalyptic genre, for example, although I'm more interested in the latter after reading Pyramid issue 2).

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:33 PM   #128
walkir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson
Foreign sales of PDFs: I don't know! And I would like to. We'll see how well that is tracked. Thank you for the question.
Did you find out anything about this?
walkir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:51 AM   #129
DeDiceManCometh

Hey, where's the new report? It's Jan. 3rd already! Three whole days to whip one up. Isn't the new "maximum delegation business model" supposed to free SJ up, or something?

;)

Happy New Year!
Old 01-03-2010, 10:22 AM   #130
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDiceManCometh View Post
Hey, where's the new report? It's Jan. 3rd already! Three whole days to whip one up. Isn't the new "maximum delegation business model" supposed to free SJ up, or something?

;)

Happy New Year!
Patience, Jedi. February, the tradition is. Always, you look to the future, to the horizon; never your mind on where ....

Ahem.

Sorry. That resolution was supposed to be to learn how to "yodel," I swear ....

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote