Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-21-2009, 03:18 PM   #11
aesir23

Default Re: Popular Character Creation House Rules

This is someone elses from the Favorite House Rules thread, but it's one of my favorites now:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW
I thought of another that I often use. The disadvantage limit is 30+1: 30 points, plus one disadvantage (or group of very closely related disadvantages) of any value.

This is somewhat self-policing, since a big trait that gives lots of points tends to dominate the character concept. Few people want to stick Blind or a heap of disadvantages that together represent PTSD on a character unless their goal is to play a Blind or PTSD character.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:38 PM   #12
sgtcallistan

Not really: we mostly use RAW.
Sometimes we use (in cinematic genre games) the 'hero point' mechanic from the old Star Wars game (pre-D20). GDW?

It's essentially the GURPS 3rd 'gizmo' rule with single-use hp's (usually accounted for by had-drawn cards actually played to modify or dictate a roll, or to 'activate' as below) that permit any action that can be described in a single sentence (with one 'and' word).
This then happens, often in an action scene that plays like a video-game 'cut-scene'; once activated, it's played out to it's end.

e.g. 'I grab the girls and get them back to the ship'.

If carefully eplained, they are rarely abused, and then usually for selfish character protection.
The GM may reward non-selfish actions with another Hero Card / point.
All characters begin a session with a least one, and may put their character's life on the line as a substitute hero point.
sgtcallistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:47 PM   #13
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

I can't find the thread, but someone had instituted a Hero/Drama Points thing that gave a single use of luck, with no more than two uses a scene. You got 4 at the start of each session and voluntarily failing a self-control roll on a disadvantage gave you one back.

It encourages players to roleplay their disadvantages instead of hoping that they'll manage to NOT do whatever it was they got points for promising to occasionally do.

EDIT: I guess I was misremembering Mailanka and Bookman said.

Semper Fi

Last edited by Crakkerjakk; 05-09-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:20 PM   #14
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJA
Magery costs 4+ cost 10p additional each (doubling the cost)
IIRC that's not a house rule, but an optional rule from GURPS Banestorm.

When it comes to UB-limiting Magery, I think there is much more merit to the optional rule from GURPS Thaumatology, where the limit is on points in Magery, e.g. up to 40 points is normal cost, anything above that there's a 1:1 UB "tax". Or up to 32, 37, 45 or whatever else the world builder thinks is good.

That way, each character creator is free to choose between what kind of Magery he wants for his character: Low but general power, high limited power (Magery limited to 2-3 Colleges), very high very specialized Power (One-College Magery), or even something exotic, such as Limiting his Magery with a Gadget (Staff would be in-genre) or with some of the Limitations (or Enhancements) from GURPS Thaumatology. Also, of course, those options can stack. Buying one level of non-Limited Magery is probably often a good idea.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:14 AM   #15
JanMaster

Thank you very much.
Quote:
If you have an advantage that would normally remain on indefinitely, you can take "Costs 1 FP per 10 seconds" for -20% or "Costs 1 FP per second" for -40%"-Quote MyGURPS.com
I needed this for my upcoming game and decided to look for it today. Now there is no need. So thanks.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:24 AM   #16
RedMattis

Bumpidy Bump!

I've looked up numerous old house rules from the forums and updated the second post.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #17
Humabout

Leg ST [3/level] - Add Leg ST to your base ST when calculating encumbrance limits, ST-based jumping distance, and kicking damage.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=54736

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.

Last edited by Humabout; 05-09-2009 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Added Link
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:38 PM   #18
Sense of Duty (Kittens)

Single Minded may coexist with Attentive, but this means the advantage activates whenever the quirk does.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:52 PM   #19
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin
There is the effect of Regrowth on Eyes but that's a really rare loss to occur in game. IT: No Eyes (crippling only) would be a big discount to a 5 pt Ad.
For what it's worth, my minotaur's been blinded in an eye twice, in the same fight no less, and only escaped loosing an eye in an earlier fight (same adventure) by the attacker rolling low.

Anyways, back to the house rules for character creation concept - An opposite to spitting IQ is merging ST and HT for a 20/level stat (Body?) - this is compatable with the repricing of ST, although I'd leave the base attribute at 20/level still - that therefore raises the cost of HT! which apparently annoys some folks.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:27 PM   #20
RedMattis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
For what it's worth, my minotaur's been blinded in an eye twice, in the same fight no less, and only escaped loosing an eye in an earlier fight (same adventure) by the attacker rolling low.

Anyways, back to the house rules for character creation concept - An opposite to spitting IQ is merging ST and HT for a 20/level stat (Body?) - this is compatable with the repricing of ST, although I'd leave the base attribute at 20/level still - that therefore raises the cost of HT! which apparently annoys some folks.
Do you have a link to a where this was discussed? (I'd prefer not to have any long discussions here. If there is none, let's create one. :) )

Tags
character creation, chargen, faq, house rule, house rules, popular