Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin Collectible Card Game

Old 02-21-2018, 01:26 PM   #11
Ulairi

Default Re: Rarity level of cards and distrubution thereof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bithlord View Post
https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...ges-2008-06-02

"We will also be replacing one common card in each booster pack with a basic land card. The expected composition of a booster pack will now be 1 rare, 3 uncommons, 10 commons, 1 basic land, and 1 tip card or token (with the mythic rare replacing the rare in approximately 1 out of every 8 packs)."

That is the level of detail I was hoping for. It's even more important* the more rarities you add.

*to me obviously. I can't speak for everyone :).
It's important to me, too.

I know it's important to help build a thriving singles after market which helps drive the collectability aspect of the game.
Ulairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:43 PM   #12
Bithlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
I know it's important to help build a thriving singles after market which helps drive the collectability aspect of the game.
Yea, for any store that wants to sell singles it seems like it would be essential information. "how many boxes do I need to open, and what does my average R, X, V, etc. need to cost to cover that with a profit."
Bithlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:01 PM   #13
thor0298

I just opened a box and the three packs that came in my starter. There were a lot of V,W,X cards in total. I was more than pleasantly surprised
thor0298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:16 PM   #14
Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor0298 View Post
I just opened a box and the three packs that came in my starter. There were a lot of V,W,X cards in total. I was more than pleasantly surprised
I opened two boxes and got no v and w cards.
Ulairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:17 PM   #15
thor0298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
I opened two boxes and got no v and w cards.

I will have to look later on quantity... I know there was just 1 w. I forget how many v's. It was mostly x's.
thor0298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:28 PM   #16
sain9510

If it helps at all I have only opened one box so far. And here is my brake down of what I obtained.

24 R - There was one in every pack, even ones that contained an X, V, or W.
3 V
1 W - School of Badassery in case you were wondering
15 X - One was Ace of Spades thankfully!
245 C and U

So My guess is every booster gets 7C, 3U, 1R, and 1Random (C,U,R,V,X,W). Again, I only have my single box to go off of, but it seems that the Random slot is geared more towards X, V, and W. But hopefully someone will start a spreadsheet and the numbers can be crunched soon!!
sain9510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:27 AM   #17
Bithlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sain9510 View Post
So My guess is every booster gets 7C, 3U, 1R, and 1Random (C,U,R,V,X,W). Again, I only have my single box to go off of, but it seems that the Random slot is geared more towards X, V, and W. But hopefully someone will start a spreadsheet and the numbers can be crunched soon!!
Thanks! This is the type of breakdown I would love to see from the official source. In an ideal world, we'd see something like the following:

Every booster has 7C, 3U and 1R/V/X/W, and a flex slot. The flex slot is randomly filled with all rarities, meaning packs can include 8 commons, 4 uncommon or 2 Rare or betters. The V rarity occurs in approximately 1 out of every __ rare slots, the W rarity occurs in approximately 1 out of every __ rare slots, and the X rarity occurs a variable amount, with non-alt art X rares occurring approximately 1 out of every __ rare slots.

Can fans put together spreadshets to try and figure this information out? Sure, I guess. But it is literally information that SJG has, and could *easily* give out. I don't see any benefit to them in hiding it, but apparently they think there's some benefit to obscuring rarities and pinky promising that its not a bad thing.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:39 AM   #18
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
But it is literally information that SJG has, and could *easily* give out.
Not exactly. We would need to provide odds for each card in the set.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:13 PM   #19
Bithlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Not exactly. We would need to provide odds for each card in the set.
At the *very least* the expected composition of a pack is information that you have. I understand* that you don't want to give out specific rarities, but there's no way you don't know what the card slots in a pack are. Even as much as "you should expect to see X commons, Y uncommons, and Z rare or betters, with some chance of a higher rarity replacing one of the commons" or something like that.

*I don't understand why you don't, but I do understand that you don't. But, either way you aren't providing it and I'm not asking for it since you've made it clear it aint gonna happen.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:08 PM   #20
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
At the *very least* the expected composition of a pack is information that you have. I understand* that you don't want to give out specific rarities, but there's no way you don't know what the card slots in a pack are.
We don’t guarantee a specific mix because it’s not a consistent mix across all boosters. There’s at least one rare or higher rarity card per pack. After that, common and uncommon card slots _may_ be replaced with a different rarity.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote