Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-17-2006, 04:31 PM   #101
Big Bear

Default Re: Some licensed properties I would like to see SJG get for GURPS (but they won't)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnifex
Is this a reference to the book by Nietzsche, or some world background/exisiting storyline that I'm not aware of? 'Cause it opens an interesting question: what is the GURPS template for the overman?
I think they meant Beyond Good and Evil, the video game :)
However, the Uberman template would be of great usefulness...
Old 03-17-2006, 04:39 PM   #102
CSstardriver

Default Re: Some licensed properties I would like to see SJG get for GURPS (but they won't)

First, a little rant. I'm tired of the new BSG. The mini-series was awesome. The first season was pretty good; the second season was ever constricting concentric circles down the toilet. I'm just tired of such downbeat shows.
OK rant over.

Here's some ideas:
GURPS: G.I. Joe (the 80's version. The best!)
GURPS: Transformers (the original 80's version.)
GURPS: Ender's Game
GURPS: Robotech
GURPS: Jurassic Park
GURPS: Independence Day (As in the movie)

I'll also second a vote for...
GURPS: Brisco County Jr.
GURPS: BSG (The old.)
GURPS: Star Wars
GURPS: Foundation
CSstardriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:27 PM   #103
Mgellis

Actually, Little House wouldn't be such a bad campaign world. It's basically, "Old West, Volume 2," focusing on homesteading and small town intrigue in Minnesota and South Dakota.

The campaign world would get its "flavor" by providing a detailed look at a particular society (one of the advantages of all the GURPS historical books).

Now, since homesteading isn't especially exciting as the main action of a campaign ("Roll 3d6." "11!" "Another day of tedious physical labor, but at least there were no tornados or locusts.") you have to figure out something else to do. Even if you do throw in natural disasters, it probably won't be very exciting for very long.

One way to do it would be to handle small town mysteries and intrigues, perhaps with children as PCs, which means the players wouldn't be able to rely on heavy firepower--they'd have to THINK. In other words, play it as "Little Nancy Drew on the Prairie." You could do this with a realistic version of Walnut Grove or one in which magic worked and monsters were real. In the latter case, of course, you could make the fantastic elements subtle, ending up with something like "Little Faerie on the Prairie" or hardcore, in which case you would get to enjoy the violence and nightmarish terror of "Little House on the Deadlands."

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr

Even more bad ideas:

PB:GURPS Little House on the Prarie
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:41 PM   #104
Azmenon

May or may not be in any specific order...

GURPS Iron Kingdoms
GURPS Barsoom
GURPS My Dad the Rock Star
=)
Old 03-17-2006, 07:09 PM   #105
Gaming_Bird

I've seen both GURPS Redwall and GURPS Anthropomorphics mentioned, and that reminds me of one of my favorite gaming/fandom rants:

Why do furry fans, who want to make anthropomorphic characters, seem to gravitate to D&D/D20, which is the WORST system for that sort of thing? When there is not only GURPS, but several RPG's written BY furry fans and designed specifically FOR anthropomorphic characters, games like Albedo, Ironclaw, Furry Pirates and Dragonstorm, why do the furry fans flock to the pidgeon hole 'class and level' system of D&D/D20.

Oh, to get this on topic, here's a licence I'd like to see: GURPS Warhammer 40,000. It'd be nive if SOMEONE came up with some good rules for that wonderful background, and possibly explain the reason for shells with depleted deuterium (deuterium is a hydrogen isotope, and it decays or depletes, into hydrogen, noy hydrogen will react violently in the presence of oxygen and heat, but it's not really something you would put into a bullet to make it armor peircing).
Gaming_Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:12 PM   #106
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Oooh, I could get behind a PB:GURPS Iron Kingdoms book. I hate Tolkienesque fantasy, not all fantasy across the board.

I'd like to see:
PB:GURPS H2G2
PB:GURPS League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (more about how to write huge, world-spanning epic problems, to be dealt with on a regular basis).
PB:GURPS Illegal Aliens
PB:GURPS Sunday Funnies
PB:GURPS Half-Life

I don't want to see:
PB:GURPS Supermegatopia
PB:GURPS Solitare
PB:GURPS Doom
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:34 PM   #107
Mgellis

Some more ideas...

GURPS World of Anne Rice <-- cool setting with a very distinct flavor, lots of campaign options at various power levels

GURPS Known Space <-- Larry Niven's sf universe

GURPS Hornblower <-- naval adventures in the Age of Napoleon

GURPS Smallville <-- fun show, very interesting take on the Superman myth, with a Superman/Clark Kent who is probably only a 1,000-point character

GURPS Godzilla <-- adventures in a world where giant monsters, aliens, etc. occasionally show up and wreck havoc...someone put together an excellent web site about this setting

GURPS Pitch Black <-- the galactic civilization implied in the movie (and its sequel) might make for a good rpg setting...lots of interesting worlds, etc.

GURPS 8th Man <-- who needs Speed Racer when you can help Tobor fight crime, monsters, and natural disasters?

GURPS American Gods <-- very cool setting with lots of possibilities

That's all for now.

Mark
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:02 PM   #108
AOTA

I would love to see 4th edition GURPS versions of:

Wildcards
Humanx
The Garrett files
Cliffhangers
Barsoom
Chronicles of Riddick (I thought it was a cool universe)
Lord Darcy
Discworld
Ringworld/Known Space
Illuminati University
Bunnies and Burrows
Farscape
Babylon 5
Stargate SG-1
UFO
Space 1999 (I'd write it)
Ghost in the Shell stand alone complex
and many others I can't think of right now but when I saw them thought,
"This would make a great GURPS campaign."
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:47 PM   #109
MwazaUmoj

GURPS: Fallout

This has an interesting story actually, on Gamespot in their article on Fallout being one of the Greatest games of all time, they mention GURPS was abandoned because SJ didn't like the content of the game. Fallout was a bit raw.

And really, can you imagine having the template for a Slaver? Figuring out what to roll for your withdrawl from Jet? SJ games, imho, aren't dark enough to really do fallout properly. I could see white-wolf putting out a game like that, but not really SJ.

Ofcourse I've never read Cthulhupunk or any of the like.

I also agree that Starcontrol and Starflight would be excellent.
MwazaUmoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:06 PM   #110
Almafeta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr
I don't want to see:
PB:GURPS Supermegatopia
PB:GURPS Solitare
PB:GURPS Doom
I would like to see GURPS Doom, myself. (I still have the layout document somewhere from when I tried to merge GURPS Lite for 3e and the GURPSnet Doom conversion together...)

And as to GURPS Supermegatopia... please, please don't condemn fans of it like me to the awful system that is the current RPG. =p
Almafeta is offline   Reply With Quote