Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-09-2018, 06:52 AM   #2011
Bruno

Default Re: Ravens N' Pennies - GURPS Content Posts

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Christopher knows the subject matter and isn't going to be making the usual clangingly-ignorant errors.

Which is a refreshing change from when the average non-SJG company tries to do anything non-European, but really we're used to a high level of quality in GURPSdom. SJG have spoiled us. Christopher is very much of this quality :)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:02 AM   #2012
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
I'd like to see Amerindians that don't mix Iroquois, Sioux, Pueblo, and Pacific Northwest tribes into one culture. No woodlands tribes with tipis (they were more likely to use wigwams or in the case of Cherokee 2-room houses) or Plains tribes with longhouses, all decorated in bead rugs covered in southwest desert symbology, please. Pre- and even Post-Columbian Amerindian culture wasn't monolithic; why should any fictional portrayal be? (My Iroquois ancestry tends to be offended at such portrayals; sorry for the rant.)

Personally, I'd be tempted to describe an Iroquois-Cahokia War fought along the Ohio and Allegheny Rivers (or fictional counterparts).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Christopher knows the subject matter and isn't going to be making the usual clangingly-ignorant errors.

Which is a refreshing change from when the average non-SJG company tries to do anything non-European, but really we're used to a high level of quality in GURPSdom. SJG have spoiled us. Christopher is very much of this quality :)
Well, considering I'm of Cherokee descent (a paternal grandmother who was a full-blood and two maternal great-grandmothers who were full-blood) who grew up on stories on the People and visited cousins on the rez. . . So yeah, I think I can handle it.

This is probably going to be a Patreon thing. I might get inspired to toss something into Pyramid at some point, but that is always a bit of a hassle because of research.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!

Last edited by Christopher R. Rice; 05-09-2018 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Grammar
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:36 AM   #2013
Christopher R. Rice

Gamemaster's Guidepost: When to Follow, Make, Ignore, Bend, or Break Rules

Today is GURPSday so I'm going to chat about rules. In my experience you need to not only know the rules, but know when to modify them (or leave them alone). You may come up with the bestest most realistic amazing rule evar . . . but it's impossible to use in play. Or maybe you want to ignore a rule, but then realize it causes problems with other mechanics. Whatever you're doing, I got a few bits of sage advice to pass on . . .

Become a Patron!
Old 05-15-2018, 09:29 PM   #2014
Christopher R. Rice

GURPS101: Intermediate Range Modifiers

A bit of toying around with Range Modifiers in GURPS.

Become a Patron!
Old 05-17-2018, 12:06 PM   #2015
Christopher R. Rice

Gamemaster's Guidepost: The Soul and Your Game

Today is GURPSDay and today Emily Smirle aka "Bruno" is talking about the concept of a soul and how it can fit in your campaign.

Become a Patron!
Old 05-22-2018, 08:55 PM   #2016
Christopher R. Rice

Dungeon Fantasy Aersalus - B-Team - Session 8

Another session report from my DF campaign - this time the B-Team.

Become a Patron!
Old 05-24-2018, 12:52 AM   #2017
Christopher R. Rice

GURPS101: Deconstructing Enhanced Time Sense

Today is GURPSday and today and I'm deconstructing a new advantage: Enhanced Time Sense.

Become a Patron!
Old 05-24-2018, 01:25 PM   #2018
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
GURPS101: Deconstructing Enhanced Time Sense

Today is GURPSday and today and I'm deconstructing a new advantage: Enhanced Time Sense.
Some thoughts.

Imperceptible Perceptions, +75% comes to 34 points for a variant form of Precognition [25] so seems a bit expensive, even with auto success on Danger Senses Per roll.
Combat Perceptions: looks good but should list whether it stacks with the penalty reduction of Trained By a Master. I think it probably shouldnt but like it as a way to counter those penalties without getting TbaM
Universal Perceptions: is also in my opinion priced to high. At +450% that makes it 202 points for a limited +5 Per. Ok its not very limited but thats still pricey compared to +5 Per [25].
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 05-24-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:02 PM   #2019
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Imperceptible Perceptions, +75% comes to 34 points for a variant form of Precognition [25] so seems a bit expensive, even with auto success on Danger Senses Per roll.
It's basically Danger Sense + Cosmic No Die Roll Required + Reliable - it's pretty cheap comparatively.

Quote:
Combat Perceptions: looks good but should list whether it stacks with the penalty reduction of Trained By a Master. I think it probably shouldnt but like it as a way to counter those penalties without getting TbaM
It doesn't. The only stacking effect for that is with a fencing weapon. I could have made it clearer.

Quote:
Universal Perceptions: is also in my opinion priced to high. At +450% that makes it 202 points for a limited +5 Per. Ok its not very limited but thats still pricey compared to +5 Per [25].
It's not +5 to just Perception rolls - it's +5 to any roll you could conceivably benefit from being able to see things in "slow mo." That's DX, IQ, Perception, whatever. I might even let it benefit combat rolls to notice weak points in a foe when targeting chinks. Basically, combine this with Visualization and you get a task-modeling AI that's REALLY good at its job. Or using a magical do-hickey to see millions of multiple possible outcomes in just a few seconds.

Become a Patron!
Old 05-24-2018, 03:51 PM   #2020
Refplace

Quote:
It's basically Danger Sense + Cosmic No Die Roll Required + Reliable - it's pretty cheap comparatively.
Ah, that works. I was thinking the no nuisance perk and maybe some Reliable but that Cosmic lets the charecter get away with more.

Quote:
It's not +5 to just Perception rolls - it's +5 to any roll you could conceivably benefit from being able to see things in "slow mo." That's DX, IQ, Perception, whatever. I might even let it benefit combat rolls to notice weak points in a foe when targeting chinks. Basically, combine this with Visualization and you get a task-modeling AI that's REALLY good at its job. Or using a magical do-hickey to see millions of multiple possible outcomes in just a few seconds.
Ah, sorry misread that the first time.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blogs