Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-23-2015, 05:10 AM   #11
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Telegraphic Attack and Feint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Azagthoth View Post
Benefit? I was thinking of at least a quirk, if not even a disadvantage. In a real fight, telegraphing your attack is a major disadvantage. You lose fights because of that. Opponents simply evade your attack without effort even before your attack even comes near.
What does a quirk have to do with choosing one of the possible attack options when it seems beneficial?
Old 02-23-2015, 05:21 AM   #12
Lord Azagthoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
Which is why Telegraphic Attacks, in practice, are used to hit people from behind, as finishers against overwhelmed foes who have no good defenses less or who were foolish enough to All-Out Attack, or by extremely unskilled people who need every bonus just to hit.

People do throw haymakers in real life fights. It's not a bad idea if the foe is already down on one knee and trying to shake off the last punch, and you want a hard hit to finish him off before he gets back up.
In MA113, it is said that fighters choose to make a Telegraphic Attack. Well, fighters don't choose it. They are overwhelmed by the fight, think they are winning, or are getting fatigued themselves and may start throwing a haymaker, even skilled fighters. Only fighters with a strong Will who resist the temptation of going "wild" don't make the Telegraphic Attacks.

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG
Lord Azagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:36 AM   #13
Anders

I think you're confusing the real-world meaning "telegraphed attack" with the in-game option "Telegraphed Attack". The former is a mistake, the latter is an option you choose when you can take your time and line up your attack because your opponent is otherwise occupied.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:01 AM   #14
evileeyore
Banned

Or if they've taken a hit and have harsh penalties, Telegraphed Attack might seem a better option than All-Out-Defense (or nothing).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:05 AM   #15
Lord Azagthoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I think you're confusing the real-world meaning "telegraphed attack" with the in-game option "Telegraphed Attack". The former is a mistake, the latter is an option you choose when you can take your time and line up your attack because your opponent is otherwise occupied.
Ah, I thought they meant the real world Telegraphed Attack but put in a wrong description as if it was a special kind of attack option.

I will change my house-rule version in to Telegraphed Attack (instead of Telegraphic Attack). It might confuse my players. ;)

An I'm still confused why they choose this term.

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG
Lord Azagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:14 AM   #16
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Azagthoth View Post
Ah, I thought they meant the real world Telegraphed Attack but put in a wrong description as if it was a special kind of attack option.

I will change my house-rule version in to Telegraphed Attack (instead of Telegraphic Attack). It might confuse my players. ;)

An I'm still confused why they choose this term.
Terms are used differently in different schools. E.g. take a look at the whole cloud of riposte, counter-attack, in-time attack, double-time attack etc.
Telegraphic Attack is the term chosen for when a character lines up an attack more accurately at the cost of making it more predictable.

Tags
feint, melee combat