Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 12-01-2010, 10:11 PM   #1
PenitentDemon

Default Interventions when your both on the same side.

Lets suppose that a Servant of Eli, is cornered by a servant of Dominic.

or that A Lilm is being pursue by some servants of the game

or that your in Hell, and this will happen every day in a thousand different ways every day, just look at baals constant wargames.

Basic Question, in such a circumstance, Does the intervention help or hurt both of you, since your both on the same side... does it help or hurt the one who rolled it?

I know its easy in some cases to say one sides the one who TRULY represents the interest of heaven or hell.

but when neither side is morally gray to any great degree how do you do things?

and is this addressed somewhere explicitly?
PenitentDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: Interventions when your both on the same side.

The Intervention helps or hurts the person who rolled it. So if a Creation angel rolls a Divine Intervention while a Judgment Triad is pursuing, some stroke of good fortune or divine favor helps with his escape. It doesn't matter that both are on the same side.

Likewise, if a Lilim rolls a Divine Intervention while fleeing the Game, the Game truly is up. :)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:01 PM   #3
tbug

I always do interventions in character. I figure that the dice are telling me (as GM) that a higher power is choosing to intervene in the situation. I think things through in character as that higher power, then act accordingly. So who does the Holy Spirit want to succeed: the Inquisition or the Eliite?

Having an angel roll 666 and then have things go really well inspires the greatest facial expressions, incidentally. *eg*
Old 12-02-2010, 12:10 AM   #4
ISNorden

Of course, in a campaign that allows Ethereal Interventions, the "same side" issue isn't that clear; unlike Heaven and Hell, the Marches don't acknowledge one central power that governs all ethereal Domains. So--what would I do in a battle involving only ethereals and/or pagan Soldiers, if both sides rolled 333?
Old 12-02-2010, 12:11 AM   #5
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
The Intervention helps or hurts the person who rolled it.
Agreed -- but the "help" may not come in the form that the recipient expects.

Take the example again of the Servitor of Judgment cornering the Servitor of Creation. If the Servitor of Creation is innocent of the alleged crime and rolls 111, then he might get help escaping -- but a better result might be one in which the Judge is somehow convinced by his words or actions that he's innocent. Likewise, if the Judge is truly just in her intentions, and she rolls a 111, I don't imagine she'd just catch the escaping Creationer -- she'd have some divinely inspired insight convincing her of the Truth of his innocence. A very subtle 666 roll in this situation might actually be one that makes the Creationer stumble so as to be caught (or even killed) by the Judge.

In other words, an Intervention roll isn't necessarily just a "critical success" or "critical failure" at the immediate task at hand, but a reflection of how a situation fits into the broader needs of Heaven/Hell.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:54 AM   #6
PenitentDemon

one picture I have in my head... for some reason, is an angel, trying to lie to their superior in some desperate sitch and rolling a Infernal intervention, and isntead ogetting seen throuh immediately, actualy paints a fully plausible lie, for the time being, but has compromised himself, and while he may have lost an attunement or distinctio nbefore, now its likely he'll be annihilated if hes found out. (I doubt any but MAYBE Eli would forgive LIEING to them to their face)
PenitentDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:49 AM   #7
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbug View Post
I always do interventions in character. [...]
Having an angel roll 666 and then have things go really well inspires the greatest facial expressions, incidentally. *eg*
I tend to go for the "in-character" mode as well, though with a bias towards the person who rolled the favorable one.

And giving demons good results with 111s is also a delight. (Though I like to give after-effects as well -- such as poor Liriel's wings slowly becoming more and more Malakite-like after she kept rolling 111s... in the Marches... to help Malakim... Okay, she only did that twice, but STILL! *beth giggles disturbingly to herself*)
Old 12-14-2010, 04:38 PM   #8
Andygal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth View Post
I tend to go for the "in-character" mode as well, though with a bias towards the person who rolled the favorable one.

And giving demons good results with 111s is also a delight. (Though I like to give after-effects as well -- such as poor Liriel's wings slowly becoming more and more Malakite-like after she kept rolling 111s... in the Marches... to help Malakim... Okay, she only did that twice, but STILL! *beth giggles disturbingly to herself*)
that was HILARIOUS. And evil,.

Tags
rules