Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 04-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
Udeliens

Default Discarding Cards

Q. The rules say that cards in play must be traded or discarded. When can I discard them?
A. This depends on the type of card. First, it must be in play in front of you (no discarding other people's cards, silly). Race and Class cards (including Half-Breed and Super Munchkin) can be discarded at any time, including to power a special ability, but not an ability for the discarded Race or Class (unless the ability requires discarding that particular Race or Class).

I would like to know if you can discard to power a special ability cards such as: Master, Dark, High, Poison, Air-Cooler, Reinforced, Cheat... , that is to say, these cards that are attached to another card, can I discard just the attachment to power an ability? And if I discard the Card that have an Attachment does it counts as 1 discarded card or 2 cards???
Old 04-25-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
Mister Ed

Default Re: Discarding Cards

I know High, Dark, and Master can be discarded independently. That's in the FAQ (in the Reloaded! section).
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
Brf

Cheat cannot be detached from the card it is played on. If you discard both cards, it would be counted as two cards.
Brf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
Clipper

Yeah, the Race and Class Enhancers are different to the Item-based Enhancers. Cheat! and the Item Enhancers you mention can't be separated from their attached items to discard them. In order to discard them, you need to discard the Item they are attached to as well.

You can only count this as multiple discards for powers that are worded to allow you to discard multiple cards at once. For example, if you had an Air-Cooled Horny Helmet as a Warrior, you can discard the pair to get a +2 in combat. Yet, if you were a Thief, you would only get one theft attempt by discarding the combo as the Theft text specifically says to discard one card then roll to steal.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
Udeliens

So I can discard Master, Dark and other Race/class enhancers to power up an ability, but i can't do that with item enhancers and the cheat card?

I still feel that u could discard them too... since a cheated item for instance, will not disappear, u just won't be able to use it anymore...
And if u see the REINFORCED card, they'r pillows attached into your armor... why can't you just take the pillows off?
Old 04-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #6
Clipper

It's not covered in the rules nor in the current version of the FAQ, I believe, but MunchkinMan addresses it in my following quote and he has may similar posts saying the same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Hmmmmm. . . Any time a card is permanently attached to another, discarding one would force the discard of the other. That's 2 cards you're discarding, and I don't see that they count as anything else. We are talking about cards, and not Items or Races that you are specifically discarding, yes? If the ability you are using says to discard an Item, than anything attached to an Item would go, but it's still one Item.
One problem with that post is that he does define Class and Race Enhancers as permanently attached as well later in that thread, which is in direct conflict with the statement from the FAQ. Hopefully we'll get some confirmation on the matter soon.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:33 AM   #7
thedag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
Yeah, the Race and Class Enhancers are different to the Item-based Enhancers. Cheat! and the Item Enhancers you mention can't be separated from their attached items to discard them. In order to discard them, you need to discard the Item they are attached to as well.

You can only count this as multiple discards for powers that are worded to allow you to discard multiple cards at once. For example, if you had an Air-Cooled Horny Helmet as a Warrior, you can discard the pair to get a +2 in combat. Yet, if you were a Thief, you would only get one theft attempt by discarding the combo as the Theft text specifically says to discard one card then roll to steal.
maybe it is just me but ifinstructed to discard one card to power an ability i would not allow the discarding of two cards. So an item with cheat on it would not be allowed. i haven't looked at the other thread you quoted so I may be entering into house rule territory
Old 04-26-2012, 01:43 AM   #8
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedag View Post
maybe it is just me but ifinstructed to discard one card to power an ability i would not allow the discarding of two cards. So an item with cheat on it would not be allowed. i haven't looked at the other thread you quoted so I may be entering into house rule territory
I take it that you can discard the one item to power the ability, but the attachment goes with it meaning you can essentially choose whether it counts as one or two discards. Otherwise you'd run into problems with curses that say stuff like 'discard one Item of your choice'. If your only item is, say, a steed with a steed enhancer attached, you can't say 'It's protected because to discard it I'd need to discard two items'.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:05 AM   #9
MunchkinMan

Quote:
It's not covered in the rules nor in the current version of the FAQ, I believe, but MunchkinMan addresses it in my following quote and he has may similar posts saying the same thing.

One problem with that post is that he does define Class and Race Enhancers as permanently attached as well later in that thread, which is in direct conflict with the statement from the FAQ. Hopefully we'll get some confirmation on the matter soon.
If you're going to quote me, then point out an issue with further, unquoted, information in the post quoted, how about providing a link so that I can go back and look at it and see where the disconnect is coming from and when the post was written. It's more than a little unfair to hold me to a FAQ entry that might not have even been written yet, and it's never a good idea to quote out of context. I've seen enough people do that here and take something so out of context in order to prove that night is day. In this case, it seems, without the question, the answer might not mean what you think it means.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:21 AM   #10
thedag

Quote:
I take it that you can discard the one item to power the ability, but the attachment goes with it meaning you can essentially choose whether it counts as one or two discards. Otherwise you'd run into problems with curses that say stuff like 'discard one Item of your choice'. If your only item is, say, a steed with a steed enhancer attached, you can't say 'It's protected because to discard it I'd need to discard two items'.
yeah thats a good point. although now i remember that is why i specified powering an ability (IOW a voluntary discard) as opposed to curses/traps.

Tags
discard