Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-30-2014, 04:48 PM   #1
ajardoor

Default [RPM/Character Creation] What kind of traits should this character have?

Okay, I got a basic concept for a modern day RPM Mage and I was wondering how I should build him - skills, advantages, disadvantages, spells and so on.

Basic idea is; a mercenary in the occult underground (RPM is the magic system) who officially works as an electrian (got a degree in engineering?). He is an extreme cynic, to the point of suspecting everyone of being corrupt, insane, flawed, dangerous, misinformed, stupid, unlucky and whatever (think of Thomas Hobbes and his book Leviathan for his general philosophy on humanity?) - perhaps that counts as Paranoia? The fact he has learned magic exists - and can thus summon demons, read minds, kill from a distance and stuff - didn't help his trust issues.

So he is obsessed with security - what kind of gear should he have? Probably triple locks his door and changes his passwords monthly. Collects hair and blood samples from people he engages heavily with - covertly if need be (going through trash, picking through brushes in the bathroom...). Any good TL8 security measures and tricks to combine with magic?

Skills? Stealth. Observation. Filch, Scourging, Sleight of Hand, Holdout, Lockpicking and Search to collect "insurance" materials. Electronic Operations. Electrician. Detect Lies.

Rituals? Scry wards, of course. Spirit magic to summon eavesdroppers. Mind or Body magic to give him 360 Vision. Chance magic for general penalties to fool or infiltrate him.

Standard Operating Procedures? Plenty of stuff from Tactical Shooting.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:06 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: [RPM/Character Creation] What kind of traits should this character have?

Chance is good for keeping people from figuring out your passwords or finding personal items to use against you.
Energy is good for combat but could help with work as an Electrcian and oh yeah spot those hidden microphones...
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:53 PM   #3
Kalzazz

Default Re: [RPM/Character Creation] What kind of traits should this character have?

I've been an electricians minion as one of my not so many jobs and one of my good friends is an electrician, so, some thoughts

Many electricians work for themselves and others, and as such must keep track of their own books and deal with myriad expenses like union fees, tools, vehicles, gas and so forth, so Accounting is a very viable skill. Also useful for laundering adventuring gains in IRS friendly fashion. (You installed sun lamps for the vampire lord, heres the invoice)

The big white service van could easily hold a workspace along with your electricians tools and no reason it couldn't be consecrated I'd think . . . . . you could also fit an entire party of adventurers in the back, though it wouldn't be comfortable and they'd lack seat belts. ANd a big white service van blends in.

Electricians frequently must somehow wriggle themselves into places man was not meant to go and also often have to clamber all about ladders and scaffolding, so, Escape and Climbing are both easy to see an Electrician hero having

Electricians often drive big service vans and bucket trucks which are not the most convenient of vehicles, and acrobatic feats of driving are often needed to get the bucket truck where it needs to go, so, Driving is a good skill

Due to their tendency to pull wires, clamber up and down things hefting heavy tools and reach out and manipulate things at odd angles, it isn't uncommon for electricians to suffer from Bad Back

The same tendency to engage in heavy physical labor (and oftentimes work long hours during outages or when work is available) easily justifies learning Extra FP and Less Sleep. Due to the constant exertion many also have hearty appetites for Increased Consumption.

Ah! Stabilizing Skill is mentioned in Pyramid 66, you might consider looking into that to use Electrician for it.
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:55 PM   #4
Kalzazz

As for actually building, well.

You want high IQ and Luck, since all your RPM skills and many Electrician type skills are IQ based. And Luck is very nice for avoiding some big spell go boom unpleasantness.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:03 PM   #5
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
The big white service van could easily hold a workspace along with your electricians tools and no reason it couldn't be consecrated I'd think . . . . . you could also fit an entire party of adventurers in the back, though it wouldn't be comfortable and they'd lack seat belts. ANd a big white service van blends in.
I don't think a van could qualify as a consecrated space. It could certainly transport a Charm Workshop Kit, but anything bigger than the basic model would likely need to be unpacked to be used. Still, that means you can park the van somewhere, spend 1d6 minutes to perform a quick consecration, then prepare charms at only -1 to skill. Passersby might wonder at the ceremonial candles and chalk circle around the vehicle though.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:11 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajardoor View Post
Okay, I got a basic concept for a modern day RPM Mage and I was wondering how I should build him - skills, advantages, disadvantages, spells and so on.
Cool.

Quote:
Basic idea is; a mercenary in the occult underground (RPM is the magic system) who officially works as an electrian (got a degree in engineering?). He is an extreme cynic, to the point of suspecting everyone of being corrupt, insane, flawed, dangerous, misinformed, stupid, unlucky and whatever (think of Thomas Hobbes and his book Leviathan for his general philosophy on humanity?) - perhaps that counts as Paranoia? The fact he has learned magic exists - and can thus summon demons, read minds, kill from a distance and stuff - didn't help his trust issues.
Odious Personal Habit (Cynical) for one, possibly Paranoia. If you can use your Paranoia in a good way, Controllable Disadvantage (Paranoia). Remember, sometimes everyone is out to get you. I suggest you use the Conduit Caster Talent from Pyramid #3/66: The Laws of Magic (p. 19) as it gives a bonus to Path of Energy and Path of Matter as well as Electrician.

Quote:
So he is obsessed with security - what kind of gear should he have? Probably triple locks his door and changes his passwords monthly. Collects hair and blood samples from people he engages heavily with - covertly if need be (going through trash, picking through brushes in the bathroom...). Any good TL8 security measures and tricks to combine with magic?
I'd give him whatever he could afford electronics wise, lots of bugs, a good lockpick kit, etc. Anything that's in the Security section of GURPS High-Tech should be up for grabs. A simple Lesser Destroy Matter effect will kill all traces of DNA and evidence in a area. A Lesser Control Matter (or Crossroads) effect will let you pop open a lock or give a bonus to rolls to open it. Greater Control Energy could give you a visual (holographic) replay of the events that happened in a particular area. Lesser Destroy Energy could stomp out bugs and other listening devices. Lesser Destroy Mind could give others a penalty to recognize you. Greater Control Mind could let you read another's mind, a Lesser version might let you read a object (aka psychometry). Consider buying Resistant to Electric Shocks (+3 or +8), maybe with the Magic modifier.

Quote:
Skills? Stealth. Observation. Filch, Scourging, Sleight of Hand, Holdout, Lockpicking and Search to collect "insurance" materials. Electronic Operations. Electrician. Detect Lies.
Architecture and Urban Survival are useful for knowing the lay out of urban environments. Traps if you're going to be disarming them or using claymores as deterrents for your front door. Explosives is always useful to the paranoid mind. Pickpocket too. You'll want Observation that's high or a even higher Perception. Streetwise or Savoir-Faire (Mafia) wouldn't hurt either. Hidden Lore (Tricks) covers confidence games, matchstickery, and other scams and might be a good investment. Engineer (Electrical) is probably a must if your character has a degree.

Quote:
Rituals? Scry wards, of course. Spirit magic to summon eavesdroppers. Mind or Body magic to give him 360 Vision. Chance magic for general penalties to fool or infiltrate him.
Yeah. That works. Lesser Destroy Energy would make it hard for others to hear what you're saying even if they are standing next to you.

Quote:
Standard Operating Procedures? Plenty of stuff from Tactical Shooting.
As many as you can buy. Consider Combat Reflexes + Deep Sleeper + SOP (Sleep With One Eye Open) so even if you're asleep you WILL wake up given the slightest noise.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:13 PM   #7
Kalzazz

Van can be consecrated, check out this post by PK (post 15 in this thread)

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...am#post1181983

Tags
character building, character creation, ritual path magic, rpm