Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-18-2014, 09:29 PM   #1
Shieldbunny

Default Ritual path question

I''ve been looking for a way to use ritual path magic to encase a foe in a frictionless bubble. Any ideas would new welcome because I'm drawing a blank. Thanks.
Shieldbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:28 PM   #2
Humabout

Default Re: Ritual path question

What are the effects of this bubble?

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:51 PM   #3
Shieldbunny

Entrapment. Bad guy slides slides around the inside of it indefinitely, well until the duration runs out anyway. If possible I'd like to be able to alter his trajectory to send him spinning and induce vomiting. Think a really bad roller coaster.

Last edited by Shieldbunny; 04-18-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:17 PM   #4
Anaraxes

Afflict the Retching Condition (B429). Lesser Control Body, per RPM 7. Nausea would be less incapacitating. Since Retching makes you "effectively stunned", the entrapment effect is built in. Unless the bubble has any other effects, it's just cosmetic.

A visible bubble and spinning would call for Greater effects. (It's pretty obviously unnatural, which is something to be avoided in the original intent of RPM.) Greater Control Body lets you "move an entire living being (as if by telekinesis)."
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:02 AM   #5
PK

In my mind, the bubble itself would be a Greater Transform Matter effect -- you're "transforming" the matter around the bubble to make it completely frictionless. I'd make it Greater because that's a weird, complex effect. I'm just going to address that here; being able to control the motion of the bubble is Control Matter as well (I could see calling for Control Body as well, since you're really doing this to move the person around).

I'd require you to add Subject Weight based on how much the bubble can hold. If the bubble was one-subject-only, I'd let you slide on Area of Effect, but I'd charge for it if you want a radius over one yard. Add Duration and Range as needed, of course. I don't think you'd need any other modifiers.

So a bubble that encased one human-shaped target up to 10 yards away for 10 minutes would be:

Greater Transform Matter (8) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + Range, 10 yards (4) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs. (3). 48 energy (16x3).

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:18 AM   #6
Philomath

I did it as afflicting Daze on the target. The actual bubble was a special effect and "pops" when touched because Daze ends when the target is struck. It came out to somewhere in the vicinity of 40 energy.
Unrelatedly, I am now recruiting new players.
Philomath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:17 PM   #7
Shieldbunny

Thanks for the help. 48 is not to bad for the character. I'll forgo the control until skills get higher.

Tags
ritual path magic