Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 04-15-2019, 08:57 AM   #131
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: A Challenger Appears! Green versus Red

Quote:
Recover AP 10 (HT) -1 (FP loss) +4 (do nothing) = 13
3d6
1 + 1 + 5 = 7
Red recovers 2 AP bringing his total up to 7/10 AP.

Red will do nothing again.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:32 PM   #132
Plane

I rolled a 5, MoS 10 from 15 means I get 2 bonus (3 AP recovered total) bringing me up to 7/12 AP.

I am taking AOD:Double maneuver, using my free step to move further away from you (4 yards becomes 5 yards apart)
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:51 AM   #133
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Recover AP 10 (HT) -1 (FP loss) +4 (do nothing) = 13

3d6
4 + 1 + 2 = 7
That's 9 AP.

Red will evaluate and step closer one yard, unsure of why his foe is taking so long to get up.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 04-18-2019, 10:55 AM   #134
Plane

taking a Ready maneuver to remove my left shoe, using free step to widen distance back to 5 yards.

roll for AP recovery again, choose next maneuver
Old 04-19-2019, 09:35 AM   #135
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Is removing a shoe really a single ready?

Also, You made me laugh!

Old 04-19-2019, 10:01 PM   #136
Plane

B286 originally had a generic "three seconds per piece to don or remove most armor"

Low-Tech 102 modified equivalent times with "Time to remove the armor is halved."

Also rather than 3-per-piece, LT110 introduced varying "Don" totals for different suits, ranging from 15 (padded cloth or light mail) to 45 (plate), 102 instructs "Calculate times to armor other body parts using the percentages on the
Armor Locations Table (p. 100)."

LT100 lists extremeties like hands/feet as 10%, but that's collectively so they're actually 5% apiece like the neck or groin. Taking 1/20 the time means it could vary from 0.75 to 2.25 seconds to Don those locations, and 0.375 to 1.125 to un-Don them. SUPER fast.

"Instant Armor" appears to have gone back on that, "Gloves and Footwear" (pg 15-16) boosts that up to either 6 or 10, meaning 3 or 5 individual Dons, or 1.5 to 2.5 un-Dons.

Despite B9's "Round down for character feats" I think it would make more sense to round up in this case, so I'd probably need a 2nd to fully remove it, but I'd say there would be enough time left over to do a 1/2 secon'ds worth of another shoe in that time so that it would only need a 3rd second to un-don the pair.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:29 AM   #137
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

And I waste a critical regaining 2 FP. 9/10.

Red takes all out defense (dodge), and steps forward one.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:50 AM   #138
Plane

using 2nd ready, shoe is now completely off and in hand, using free step to widen the distance. Roll AP again.

(Pyramid seems to imply that Readies might take 0 AP or 1 AP depending on how strenuous... I'm thinking that untying shoes might be less strenuous than readying a weapon, your input?)
Old 04-23-2019, 05:56 AM   #139
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
using 2nd ready, shoe is now completely off and in hand, using free step to widen the distance. Roll AP again.

(Pyramid seems to imply that Readies might take 0 AP or 1 AP depending on how strenuous... I'm thinking that untying shoes might be less strenuous than readying a weapon, your input?)
If I believed that you were actually untying your shoes, sure, but taking a shoe off in two seconds doesn't feel like untying it to me. It feels like vigorously ripping it off. I played around with how fast I could remove my shoes, and found that if I was using my hands, it was a bit strenuous. It was easier with my feet, but then my shoe wasn't in my hand.

EDIT: oh, its if it costs FP or not, not if you can recover. My feelings are much more mixed on that.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:32 PM   #140
Plane

I dunno about you but I could totally just pull on my aglets and have it untied in a second or less and spend a 2nd to tear it off. I figure a Don time of 6 for shows (3 per second to put them on) and halve that (3/1.5) pretty much assumes laces...

Of course it might work better as a baseline time if there was some kind of skill roll involved, and then people could multiply the time to get a bonus or lessen it by taking a penalty.

I think part of what makes shoe removal more time consuming is you might be assuming you're standing up and bending over to take it off? I'd certainly require that to use the hands, but since green is already in a lying posture, it would be easier to remove the shoe (no need to balance on one foot) than while standing.

Removal by foot is a good point, I do that hands-free as well, though putting them on that way would be harder. I'd say if we were to incorporate some kind of DX roll that removal would get a large basic bonus (thus able to absorb the -2 to DX doing grappling with feet incurs) whereas putting on would not, so people would use the hands.

Part of the problem I think is to put on a shoe you grip and pull it toward (hand-focused) but with removal, you can simply push it away from the ankle, not needing a fine manipulator...

Readies are never a recovery action, but much like attack they can cost 1 AP or 0 AP depending on severity.

Maybe a compromise is to have it cost 1 AP spread across these 2 actions, rather than 0 or 2? I don't think removing a shoe would cost more AP than drawing a sword, for comparison.