Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-02-2015, 09:10 AM   #1
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.
Default Perks: is there anything like a wildcard perk?

That is, an official way to price a perk which usually applies requires specialization by skill but you want to apply to all your skills without taking loads of perks?

Ambidexterity is effectively this for Off-Hand Training, which implies that [5] might be a reasonable price.

Bonus question; does Equipment / Weapon Bond apply to all skills used with the item, or only one skill? For example, if I have Weapon Bond with my pistol, do I get +1 to Fast-Draw and Armoury rolls when I apply those skills to it, or just to Guns?
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:17 AM   #2
malloyd

Default Re: Perks: is there anything like a wildcard perk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Organism View Post
That is, an official way to price a perk which usually applies requires specialization by skill but you want to apply to all your skills without taking loads of perks?
No. And there probably should not be, simply because perks that require specialization require it for different kinds of things. If you were to write a rule, it would need to take into account whether a perk was specialized by skill or terrain type or species or any number of other options. That said, [5] should be a reasonably fair cost for stuff that requires specialization to one of between a handful and a couple dozen options.

Quote:
Bonus question; does Equipment / Weapon Bond apply to all skills used with the item, or only one skill? For example, if I have Weapon Bond with my pistol, do I get +1 to Fast-Draw and Armoury rolls when I apply those skills to it, or just to Guns?
It's per skill. Think of it as +1 skill [4] with -75% worth of Gadget limitations, starting with Unique.

Though I don't know that including Fast Draw would be a serious problem, it probably ought to be a technique of the combat skill anyway. Something that actually requires Armoury is out though, repairing your gun isn't something you are using your gun *for*, it's something you are doing to it. For that matter I wouldn't let you have, say, an Equipment Bonded screwdriver that gave you a +1 to build, maintain or repair rolls on anything that happened to have a screw on it somewhere either. Ordinarily you need something that's pretty specific to, and critical to that majority of uses of, a single skill before Equipment Bond really makes sense.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:38 AM   #3
Anders

Modular Ability: Cosmic (Perks only -20%; Physical +50%; Reduced Time 1 +20%) [15]

For a single perk I'd allow it to be modified with Cosmic (+300%) for a total of 4 points.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:17 PM   #4
Randover

Higher Purpose?
Randover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:24 PM   #5
Edges

Quote:
Technically, it only applies to the weapon skill and techniques based off of the weapon skill. But as a house rule, I would allow it to apply to Armory rolls to clear a jam, etc. As for Fast-Draw, I agree that it really should be a technique. But if one were to keep Fast-Draw as a skill, it would make sense to have Weapon Bond (F-D) as an additional perk.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:43 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

I noodled with this before in a blog post.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:55 AM   #7
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:

Ambidexterity is effectively this for Off-Hand Training, which implies that [5] might be a reasonable price.
As a GM I'd have to look very hard at such a Perk!, make sure it fits a theme and that the skills covered fit the theme.

But I'd probably allow it at 5CP.

Quote:
I'd allow it. I haven't seen Weapon Bond taken in my games, but then Perks are largely overlooked by my Players.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:56 AM   #8
weby

A perk that applies to several normal(non wildcard) skills. Say akimbo(all weapons), yes it might allow such in some settings, but do not have any suitable pricing idea, though the 5-10 point range sounds right. The problem for me in such is the perk limits, as in how many perk slots such would take, as I tend to limit the number of perks based on points in skills.

In the current game I allow/require Perk! to go with Skills! (only). A wildcard perk takes up 3 perk slots and costs 3 points. Such a perk will affect all uses of the wildcard skill, a normal perk that is skill limited would only cover one type use.

All the PCs in the current game have a single wildcard skill, and some have wildcard perks for them. As example the Faceman! has Efficient! Faceman! wildcard perk.

Bonus answer: I have modified the weapon/equipment bonds to be more powerful and include all rolls with that gear: Fast draw, repairing it, using it and so on. But by RAW it seems to be limited to only its normal use.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:05 AM   #9
Ashtagon

Isn't a Perk that applies to several skills just a variation on the Talent theme?
Ashtagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perks