Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-16-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
Threshold

Default New here and new to GURPS

Hello, I am new to GURPS and new to the forum.

I was looking for a new RPG to try -- I am bored of the D20 system and now that Star Wars is leaving WotC, I don't feel compelled to stay there...

I purchased GURPS after looking at a bunch of alternatives and hope it will suit my needs.

I am halfway done with the Advantages chapter and really like how flexible the system is -- granted, it could be very confusing to some of my newer players.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: New here and new to GURPS

Welcome,and I hope it meets your needs as well as it meets mine.

One advice I would, unless the NPC is meant to become an Ally/Dependent there is no need to make a full character sheet for every NPC you use.

that points has no bearing on 'Challenge rating'
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
Hello
Hey.

Quote:
I am new to GURPS and new to the forum.

I was looking for a new RPG to try -- I am bored of the D20 system and now that Star Wars is leaving WotC, I don't feel compelled to stay there...

I purchased GURPS after looking at a bunch of alternatives and hope it will suit my needs.
Congratulations for choosing GURPS!

Quote:
I am halfway done with the Advantages chapter and really like how flexible the system is -- granted, it could be very confusing to some of my newer players.
Yeah, it can be a good idea to prepare a setting "cheat sheet" for newer players, listing only the options that will be available in a specific game, rather than throwing the entire book at them and scaring the crap out of them. Good luck!
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
Threshold

Thank you both for your advice -- it all sounds good! :)

My only fear right now is if I can learn the rules quickly enough to be able to run the game soon... ...but as I have said, I am still on the Character book's Advantages area -- so I have a lot of reading to do!

When I get that far, I am looking to begin the game in a Tolkein-like universe... I may toss in some opponents from other genres -- but it will mainly be LotR-ish. :)
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #5
Anaraxes

You're right in that flexibility is a GURPS hallmark. The system is popular with people that like to build worlds and games. People that want lots of pre-written and -statted material tends to complain about the relative lack thereof.

You might want to head to e23 and download the free "GURPS Lite". You've already got the core books, but you can read Lite a lot faster. It will hit the high points and give you a framework to hang the other details on when you go back and read the full books. Similarly, your players can get copies of Lite just to have some small reference.

Other common "big picture" advice:

- Not every rule is meant to be used in every game. Obviously you don't put Ultra-Tech equipment in your Tolkien game, but the point applies to individual traits as well. If the Advantages or Disadvantages seem like they're giving your world the wrong feel, leave them out.

- Build characters starting with a concept, not by treating the rules as a shopping list. It's much easier to flip around and find traits that suit an existing idea than it is to try to pick things that look powerful at random. Describe the character's role, what cool things they're expected to do; then find abilities that fit. Personality and background suggest other sorts of Ads/Disads.

- Start small and work your way up. There's a lot of detail in the combat rules, for instance. And you need some of that to really make the system work properly (Deceptive Attack, for instance). But it can be overwhelming at first. Add detail as you have the basics down pat. As with any system, keep it fun. Rather than bog down the game looking stuff up, make a temporary ruling to keep the game going, and look it up later.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #6
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Oh, and the Task Difficulty Modifiers on p.345-346 are your friends. You don't /need/ to know the exact modifier formed from all options you only really need is an idea just how had the task is meant not be and that table will help.

it is very useful for a fast moving 'Roll and shout' game.

But yes Throw GURPS Lite at you players to read as their intro.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:10 PM   #7
Kage2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Build characters starting with a concept, not by treating the rules as a shopping list. It's much easier to flip around and find traits that suit an existing idea than it is to try to pick things that look powerful at random. Describe the character's role, what cool things they're expected to do; then find abilities that fit. Personality and background suggest other sorts of Ads/Disads.
All solid advice, but this one gets a "+1" from me.

If you head over to places like RPG.net one of the common things that you're going to see is people complaining about the "huge lists" of things in GURPS, be they advantages, disadvantages, or skills. It always gets a raised eyebrow from me since filtering these things through the character concept seems like such an obvious thing, but it seems that people are still approaching it as a laundry list that you have to sort through to get to the fun. Strange.

With that said, it's one of the reasons that I personally use an "overlay" of FUDGE with its adjective ladder. It works for people familiar with the system and those unfamiliar with the system and has the added advantage of making people think about their concept and what their character can actually do.

With that said, welcome to the world of GURPS and the SJGames forum. The former is a big, wide place, while the latter is a rather friendly place that will make you feel like a newbie from now until the end of time. ;)
Kage2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:32 PM   #8
Novembermike

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...8&postcount=22

Read this. It's a list of skills that every character should have. One of the problems with GURPS is that it's easy to make a character who's functionally retarded even at higher levels because he can't drive a car or talk to people. Anyone with these skills should have options.
Novembermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:52 PM   #9
Faolyn

Most of the GURPS books (especially the world books and campaign genre books) have templates and lenses that would make character creation a lot easier for your players. If you don't own these books and don't feel like/can't getting them, then you may wish to make your own.
Faolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:08 PM   #10
NorphTehDwarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post

Yeah, it can be a good idea to prepare a setting "cheat sheet" for newer players, listing only the options that will be available in a specific game, rather than throwing the entire book at them and scaring the crap out of them. Good luck!
one thing a GM I had did was actually copy the relevant skills and (dis)advantages from the PDF and print 'em out along with a setting description. It worked pretty well, but I've never tried it because I only have the print editions.
NorphTehDwarf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new gm, new guy