Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #81
Anthony

Default Re: Overkill on a Mozambique drill

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
A shot person probably requires immediate first aid, and may have his/her/its situation worsen from the handcuffing.
A person with a gunshot wound that can't wait for long enough to secure the scene (handcuffing is part of that) is probably beyond the capacity of officers in the field to treat anyway.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:37 AM   #82
Comedian

Great, I've been doing this right all along. Although only as a result of my players never taking a do nothing action after being wounded.
Comedian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #83
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comedian View Post
Great, I've been doing this right all along. Although only as a result of my players never taking a do nothing action after being wounded.
Can you explain it to me then? I know that I was wrong, but I'm not sure what the right way is.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #84
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Per p. B380, "If you have zero or fewer HP left . . . You must roll vs. HT each turn to avoid falling unconscious." The current turn isn't excepted. You're supposed to roll on being taken to 0 HP or below. Injury effects are meant to be immediate – you don't wait a beat and then notice that your arm is off or your brains are scrambled.

The offending passage is on p. B419:
"In addition to the above effects, make a HT roll at the start of your next turn, at -1 per full multiple of HP below zero."
which would be clearer as:
"In addition to the above effects, make an immediate HT roll, at -1 per full multiple of HP below zero."
The later text:
Success means you can act normally, but must roll again every turn to continue functioning.
would then be better as:
Success means you can act normally, but must roll again at the start of every turn to continue functioning.
Should I submit this for errata? Have you already done it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Okay, now I am extra confused. When does Do Nothing help? On the turn you take it, or the following turn?
Ok, let's see if I passed my foreign language comprehension check:
  • When you get to 0 or less HP, IF you did anything other than Do Nothing, and didn't attempt active defenses, you must check for consciousness.
  • On later turns, if you pick a maneuver other than Do Nothing, you check for consciousness, or fall unconscious prior to any effects of the maneuver
  • On later turns, if you picked do nothing, and attempt an active defense, you must check for consciousness prior to attempting the active defense, and if you fail, you fall unconscious AND automatically faill your active defense.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:52 AM   #85
Comedian

The way I'm understanding Kromm's postit is as follows.

Turn 1: Player takes damage and falls below 0hp. After taking the damage he immediately rolls against HT. He must also immediately test against HT at a -1 per multiple he went below 0hp.
Turn 2: IF the player is still conscious/alive he may take the Do Nothing maneuver to avoid further testing.

At least, that's how I'm reading it.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:54 AM   #86
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Turn 1: Player takes damage and falls below 0hp. After taking the damage he immediately rolls against HT. He must also immediately test against HT for every multiple of HP he went below 0 at a -1 per multiple.
Turn 2: IF the player is still conscious/alive he may take the Do Nothing maneuver to avoid further testing.
If he takes Do Nothing then he doesn't roll on his next turn? What if he does something else on that turn?

Last edited by sir_pudding; 02-23-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:56 AM   #87
Comedian

On the new turn following taking damage (he's already tested against HT at this point) he tests UNLESS he takes a Do Nothing maneuver.

I edited the the end of turn one description in my original post. The one you quoted isn't correct.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:58 AM   #88
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
On the new turn following taking damage (he's already tested against HT at this point) he tests UNLESS he takes a Do Nothing maneuver.
Yeah, that's what I've always done. I'm not sure then what Kromm is saying that's different. Why the emphasis on "the start of your turn"?
Old 02-23-2011, 12:03 PM   #89
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Yeah, that's what I've always done. I'm not sure then what Kromm is saying that's different. Why the emphasis on "the start of your turn"?
Because if you fail the test, you fall unconscious immediately - you don't get to take your maneuver. If you could roll at any point during your turn, you'd choose to roll at the very end, so you'd be able to actually do something that turn even if you failed your roll.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:04 PM   #90
Comedian

I think it was suggested earlier that you have test at the start of your next turn because the RAW implied that the test occurs before you pick a maneuver. So unless you took the Do Nothing maneuver on the turn you got hit, you took the same tests twice before picking a new maneuver. At least that's what I think. It's easy to get lost in the wording on these things.

Tags
basic, combat, death, tactical shooting