Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-16-2016, 04:40 PM   #181
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 19: Incantation Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
I disagree, but only because Talents don't usually work that way, especially in a prescriptive setting like DF. If this were a normal Talent, I could see an argument for splitting it into the "normal version" and an "infusion variant," but that's not possible with a racial Talent.

As such, my inclination would be to say that Elder Gift applies to both specialties, mainly because there's not much synergy between the two, so it's not like someone is going to abuse things if they pursue both uses of Alchemy. Doing so also keeps the squiddies flexible, and I like keeping races as open as possible. However, this isn't me stepping in and overruling this; it's just me adding my opinion to the conversation.
My thought process here is that while they are similiar, one is likely to be more alien than the other. I suppose if you had a power-up that let you take both magic systems or had a multi-profession lens then it'd apply to both. Hmmm. Yeah, I'mma revise my opinion: If you get Alchemy as a part of a Talent it applies to both magic types - but you still can't actually use Alchemy (Infusion) without Incantation Gift/UB (Incantor).

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:57 PM   #182
Kalzazz

I've actually in the past experimented with folding Alchemy (RPM) and Alchemy (Magic) together without noticing much ill effect. So whenever I get to playing with Incantation Magic I might try that and see what happens

My current approach to Alchemy (RPM) and Alchemy (Magic) is they default at -4, but if someone so desires they can burn a CP on a skill adaptation perk to make them default at 0
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:14 PM   #183
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Yeah, I'mma revise my opinion: If you get Alchemy as a part of a Talent it applies to both magic types - but you still can't actually use Alchemy (Infusion) without Incantation Gift/UB (Incantor).
I'm not sure what you mean by "if you get Alchemy as part of a Talent"; Talents only add bonuses to existing skills (and to defaults, but Alchemy has none).

So a Talent like Elder Gift would only improve the Alchemy skill that you already had -- and Alchemy (Infusions) is already noted as being explicitly for incanters only. Being a human vs. being a squiddy wouldn't change that.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:27 PM   #184
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "if you get Alchemy as part of a Talent"; Talents only add bonuses to existing skills (and to defaults, but Alchemy has none).

So a Talent like Elder Gift would only improve the Alchemy skill that you already had -- and Alchemy (Infusions) is already noted as being explicitly for incanters only. Being a human vs. being a squiddy wouldn't change that.
Pretty much that. I didn't get much sleep last night and I ended up getting woke up early. I think a nap is in order at this point.

Become a Patron!
Old 09-17-2016, 02:54 PM   #185
Anders

So I'm thinking about combining Incantation Magic with Threshold Magic, because I love that system. Only spells cast on the fly would cost Threshold points - I'm thinking 150 Threshold points and Recovery 20. So a caster can use improvised magic once or twice, but then they'll have to rest for a long time before they can do it safely again. What do you think?

Last edited by Anders; 09-17-2016 at 03:00 PM.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:02 PM   #186
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
So I'm thinking about combining Incantation Magic with Threshold Magic, because I love that system. Only spells cast on the fly would cost Threshold points - I'm thinking 150 Threshold points and Recovery 20. So a caster can use improvised magic once or twice, but then they'll have to rest for a long time before they can do it safely again. What do you think?
You could do the same with Spirit Assisted or Corruption as well.
Good idea.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:46 PM   #187
TTiger97

Question. Does having the field caster power-up enable one to prepare incantations outside of town? I'm looking for a way to dodge that requirement.
TTiger97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:49 PM   #188
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTiger97 View Post
Question. Does having the field caster power-up enable one to prepare incantations outside of town? I'm looking for a way to dodge that requirement.
You need a portable workspace kit to prepare incantations outside of town, no power-up required. Now, in town, you have access to better tools so you might get a bonus (if you pay extra) instead of the penalty you get with a portable workspace kit.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:41 PM   #189
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
That seems workable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
You could do the same with Spirit Assisted or Corruption as well.
Good idea.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTiger97 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
You need a portable workspace kit to prepare incantations outside of town, no power-up required. Now, in town, you have access to better tools so you might get a bonus (if you pay extra) instead of the penalty you get with a portable workspace kit.
Right. Field Caster just lets you cast a spell on the spot. This is a conceit of Incantation Magic and is one of the things we changed for Dungeon Fantasy from the base Ritual Path Magic system.

Become a Patron!
Old 09-18-2016, 07:26 AM   #190
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Basically, DF19 revises the Alchemy skill slightly such that there is a required specialty, not an optional one. One is the "vanilla" version which doesn't have an official name, one is the Infusions version.
I'd retroactively apply the title Alchemy (Elixirs) to distinguish from Alchemy (Infusions)

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fantasy