Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 11-18-2019, 09:58 AM   #21
larsdangly

Default Re: shifting while engaged to multiple enemies

Here's a question on this topic that I'm not sure I know the answer to. In fact, I can't think of a passage in the rules that directly addresses it.

Consider a 3 hex figure who is engaged by two 1 hex figures. Thus, the larger figure is considered 'engaged' and is subject to all of the relevant restrictions on movement (though he/she/it can still 'push back' at the end of the movement phase). I think the rules imply that the 3 hex figure cannot use a a shift to simultaneously disengage from both figures, but can it use a shift to disengage from one while remaining engaged with the other? The conservative reading of the rules would say 'no', but I feel like an exception might be made because the 3 hex figure is not engaged by any one of the two individuals, only by the combination of the two. And the end result would be more realistic feeling.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:30 AM   #22
hcobb

ITL 103: "However, the shift may carry it onto one or more one-hex figures and/or away from one-hex figures with which it was engaged."

Note that it may move away from both figures as per the plural above.

I.e. the warhorse shifts away from both of the two men at arms on foot and then the rider declares standing charge attack response with his lance when these step up to him the next turn.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:37 AM   #23
larsdangly

Nice! I am not crazy about the interpretation that the shift can move you away from all engaging figures, as that would amount to saying you were never engaged in the first place. But perhaps the intent is that you are only sort of engaged - unable to initiate a multi-hex move, but able to freely shift 1 hex, however you want?
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:44 AM   #24
hcobb

Note that the shift-disengage requires control of initiative to force the other side to move first (while they are engaged). If done as a move-first then the other side would just run behind you and use the +4 DX adjustment for the rear hex to strike first.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:41 AM   #25
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Nice! I am not crazy about the interpretation that the shift can move you away from all engaging figures, as that would amount to saying you were never engaged in the first place. But perhaps the intent is that you are only sort of engaged - unable to initiate a multi-hex move, but able to freely shift 1 hex, however you want?
Yes, it means you can move one hex away, but not continue moving. It's very different from not being engaged at all, both because of that, and because of what hcobb just wrote above.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:48 AM   #26
hcobb

If on the next turn the knight is forced to move first then he should back up 18 hexes to setup for the next charge.

ST 36 MA 24 Warhorse (ITL 88) is at less than 6x ST while carrying 150 pound knight with 50 pounds or so of gear, which is -6 MA (ITL 130). And so can take a full move of 18 hexes backwards.