Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
frofrog

Default Making the two player game more interesting..

Dear all,

does anyone have a suggestion on how to make the two-player Munchkin game more interesting. I've been playing alot of two-player with my girlfriend and we love Munchkin! But it seems that the combat is uneventful (in two-player).

I have thought about this and I wonder if anyone has tried this:

(It is assumed that you are playing against someone who has none or little card on the hand, so it is clear that he/she won't interfere with your combat much. This rule makes it a bit harder for the top level munchkin, while the other player play with the regular rules.)

In battle with a monster, can you beat it?
Say: A Nurse Shark, Level 9..
Yes!
Are you the top level munchkin?
Yes!
Turn over a treasure card and add that weapon (or item or usable once attack bonus) to the monster.
Say: A Nurse Shark with a Hook, Level 9+3=12
Can you still beat it?
Yes! Then you get the Hook and two other treasures (the Nurse Shark gives three)!
Otherwise the shark wins and you discard it and the hook and roll to run away..

I think this adds some randomness in a good way (not throwing a die!) and it keeps the Munchkin spirit, because you are fighting a fun monster.. now with a fun weapon, which you can get by killing it!

Please tell me if you've had a similar idea or if you want to try this!

PS: Showing the first of treasure might also make the asking for help phase more fun (between the two players)!

PSS: There is no need for this in a game with more that two-players, right?!

Marcus

Last edited by frofrog; 03-04-2010 at 12:44 PM. Reason: I forgot to say that it should be the highest level munchkin that gets attacked by the monster with the weapon (not tie)!
Old 03-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
Hiro Protagonist

Default Re: Making the two player game more interesting..

Sometimes my gf and I fight 2 monsters at a time. If you draw a Level 9 Creature from the Pink Lagoon and a Monster Enhancer (say +10), it becomes a (9+10) Level 19 monster. But the item enhancer idea you had sounds cool too, I'm gonna try it!
Old 03-03-2010, 12:36 AM   #3
frofrog

Using two door cards sounds abit like the epic rules, does that not make the monsters too difficult to beat?
Old 03-03-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
Elite

I have been playing a lot of two player, and the biggest problem we have is "One-Sidedness." In which, one player has a massive lead before anyone even gets to level 6 or 7.

I actually have a post under "House Rules" that is a suggestion to even out the playing field. Check it out here:

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...=37474&page=17

And I appreciate feedback, as I have not had a chance to try it out yet.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:56 PM   #5
Yukimura

Hey frofrog!

I just tested your rules in a 2 player game. I have to say that I really like them. The only thing I don't like is that when you start the game, both players are automatically tied for the highest, so the first person to find a monster will have a stronger monster, since the treasure will add up to it's level. But except of that, the rules are really funny! :)
Surrender or fight, there is no return,
Under Jolly Roger!
Old 03-04-2010, 12:26 AM   #6
frofrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukimura View Post

The only thing I don't like is that when you start the game, both players are automatically tied for the highest :)
So you suggest that the monster should only attack with a treasure IF you are the top munchkin. And NOT if you are in tie. I agree, making the game more difficult in the very first phase is bad. I'll edit my post about this. Thank you!
Old 03-04-2010, 03:25 AM   #7
Yukimura

Well it is perfectly good with ties, but it is really bad in the first phase as both are Level 1. Maybe edit it to "After someone reaches level 2" or something like that. When the game gets running it is okay, even with ties, but in the early game it's a bit difficult. But still: Your rules suggestion is really nice and funny to play with. :) Nice idea.

Cheers,
Yukimura
Surrender or fight, there is no return,
Under Jolly Roger!
Old 03-04-2010, 08:15 AM   #8
RevBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by frofrog View Post
Are you the top level munchkin?
Yes!
Turn over a treasure card and add that weapon (or item) to the monster.
Say: A Nurse Shark with a Hook, Level 9+3=12
Can you still beat it?
Yes! Then you get the Hook and two other treasures (the Nurse Shark gives three)!
So what do you do if the treasure card you turn over is a GUAL, Hoard, or some other non-item?

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:29 AM   #9
frofrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBob View Post
So what do you do if the treasure card you turn over is a GUAL, Hoard, or some other non-item?
A GUAL card will level up the monster! Essentially the same as if it got a +1 bonus weapon. But now your fellow munchkin is more likely to want to help you - if he/she gets that card upon combined victory.

The special cards like Hoard, reloaded die or mirage: can't affect the monster or the battle in general. But Usable Once cards like Demon Rum which gives +4 to either side adds to monster.

Say: You battle a Sea lawyer that throws a demon rum (10+4=14).
If the top munchkin is buff enough, then he will pick up the flying demon rum in the air (along with another 2 treasures)!

If you want an extremely balanced game, you can let the monster take as many treasures as the level difference is between the two players (but never more than the monster's maximal number of treasures). This might make the game too balanced and almost fair >_<

Last edited by frofrog; 03-04-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Closed Thread