Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-14-2009, 09:42 AM   #1
EGerbil

Default [Spaceships] Re-entry and armour systems

I'm sure I read somewhere in Spaceships a rule about the armour that a ship has to have to make re-entry in a given atmosphere, but for the life of me I can't find reference to it now. Could anyone let me know where the rule's written, or if my mind's just playing tricks on me and no such rule actually exists?
EGerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: [Spaceships] Re-entry and armour systems

I don't think there's one in any published Spaceships PDF.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:26 AM   #3
nerdvana

Perhaps you are thinking of "A streamlined spacecraft must be given at least one armor system on its front or central hull." on p10? Not really what you were mentioning but I could see a mistaken connection forming there...
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:33 AM   #4
SuedodeuS

Is there any official GURPS ruling on how much damage per second re-entry causes? I suspect it would be a formula using velocity and atmospheric pressure. Once you've figured that out, you can figure out how much armor your craft needs.

I suspect, however, that one armor system is sufficient once you get into TL8+ military grade armor.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:44 AM   #5
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedodeuS View Post
I suspect, however, that one armor system is sufficient once you get into TL8+ military grade armor.
Maybe...depending on just how fast you intend to re-enter! If you can get away with it, you could save some fuel by re-entering at full interplanetary speed...
Old 10-14-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
EGerbil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post
Perhaps you are thinking of "A streamlined spacecraft must be given at least one armor system on its front or central hull." on p10? Not really what you were mentioning but I could see a mistaken connection forming there...
I suspect you're right, and since the last time I went through the PDF I mistakenly made the connection between that and re-entry. Thanks for clearing it up.
EGerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:55 PM   #7
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGerbil View Post
I suspect you're right, and since the last time I went through the PDF I mistakenly made the connection between that and re-entry. Thanks for clearing it up.
It's not mistaken. That's the reason why streamlined craft need an armor system.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:13 PM   #8
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
It's not mistaken. That's the reason why streamlined craft need an armor system.
I hope not, since that's something that would have been easy and valuable to state if true.

Plus, not all streamlined craft need to reenter and some unstreamlined craft can reenter (and not just ones with soft landing systems).
Old 10-14-2009, 03:36 PM   #9
nerdvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I hope not, since that's something that would have been easy and valuable to state if true.

Plus, not all streamlined craft need to reenter and some unstreamlined craft can reenter (and not just ones with soft landing systems).
I have to agree here. I've never seen any rules that stated that unstreamlined craft cannot perform reentry maneuvers (although I conceed that obviously it would be harder for them)
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:13 PM   #10
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Can you think of another reason for such a requirement?
Quote:
What other use would there be for a streamlined spacecraft except to go in and out of atmosphere?
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote