Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 05-22-2020, 12:18 PM   #1
the-croupier

Default Point values for Skills won't display

Odd problem I'm having that doesn't seem to be in the FAQ, and I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this. Basically whenever I try to add points to raise the value of a Skill, the field value remains at '0' and the sheet won't update to the value I'm trying to add.

I'm running GCA4 on Windows 10, version 1903
  • I'm only using Skills from the Character core book.
  • The problem only occurs with Skills. If I try to change the Level of an Advantage or Disadvantage, that works fine. Perks and Quirks also seem to be ok.
  • The data files appear to be installed in the app. When I look at the "Full Edit Window" for that Skill, the data file values seem to be there. And the Skill does show up on the Skill list on the character sheet, but Level shows only '0' and the 'Relative Level' field is blank.

At first I thought this might be some kind of problem involving Windows 10/Defender permissions, but I've added every exe file associated with GCA to the Controlled Folder Access list, and I even tried running GCA as an administrator. So if the problem does involve permissions, I'm not sure where it could be happening in the flow.

So maybe I'm wrong about it being a permissions problem. Maybe the data files for skills aren't actually loading properly? I was hoping someone here might have run into a similar problem and might have some suggestions. I'd appreciate any help. Thank you!
the-croupier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 12:49 PM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: Point values for Skills won't display

Skills not updating like that is something that happens when the Character is built with skill types that don't exist in the data--such as when using the 4th Edition file with a 3rd Edition character.

* Make sure you're loading the GURPS Basic Set 4th Ed.--Characters.gdf data file first. That file includes all the needed info on how skills work, and without it, nothing works right.
* Make sure your character was built with 4th Edition files. If you add a new skill to the character, and it still has this weirdness, it's probably built with 3rd Edition files, or no Basic Set at all.
* You can fix a character to use the current files by doing a Resync. Once you're sure you're loading the right files, click on Tools > Resynchronize. You should be good to go with everything on the right side checked. Click OK. GCA will Resync the character (copy Data File data into the Character). Skills should then work. If you're good, Save the character.

If that doesn't help, we'll need to get into the weeds about exactly what you're loading and what happens with new characters and such.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:38 PM   #3
the-croupier

Thank you for getting back to me so fast.

I tried uninstalling all of the data files, and then followed your advice and started again just with GURPS Basic Set 4th Ed.--Characters.gdf

That fixed it! Everything seems to be working perfectly now. I'll be a little more careful this time installing the data files and make sure I do them in order.

Thanks again for the help!
the-croupier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:45 PM   #4
Armin
GCA Prime

You're welcome. Glad you're working!