Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 10-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #251
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [OCC]: Space Merchant

I will not be able to post much for the next little bit (at least until next sunday). At least I don't anticipate being able to.

Don't worry, we'll pick right back up when I'm back....

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #252
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
"Market research and corporate development. May I ask what the hell you're doing in my personal database?"
Security. The way Pi handles this sort of stuff could easily look suspicious to a system admin.

Or Darklim can withdraw that comment.

Or Hector could be looking over Bell's shoulder.

Play it as you want.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 11-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #253
Darklim

I thought that we all had access to wherever the data is currently being processed. Oops, I guess?

But yeah, I remember asking for the frequencies of communication, and specifying that I toyed around with the ship's systems. So I think it would make some sort of sense that I'm actually aware of what's generally going on in others' computers, since I'm monitoring them.

What do you say, the_matrix_walker ? I could also withdraw my comment since it's based on a misunderstanding, but social interaction between characters is funnier if you want my advice.
Darklim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #254
momothefiddler

Sorry I couldn't post this sooner, but I'm gonna be unable to post for a bit, since I'm currently having health issues. I'm posting this from my phone and definitely can't keep up with games that way. I should be back within a week; almost definitely two. Feel free to take control of my character as necessary. Again, I'm sorry for not letting you know a few days ago. I tried to mention it in all the relevant threads but I didn't have much time before I left, and I've only now gotten the opportunity to use my phone. See you all hopefully soon!

Astrid 14/14HP, 3/10FP buffs
Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT
momothefiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #255
the_matrix_walker

No need to withdraw it, it's a role playing opportunity.

But Bell would certainly be keeping his corporate files and personal notes secure and separate from the ship's dealings. But you wouldn't need to have accessed his database to discover the search. The search he did was on the main computer, so if you were checking his logs and buffers you could certainly find the information, despite it being saved elsewhere... (maybe I'll start having him keep his private files in Pi)
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #256
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by momothefiddler View Post
Sorry I couldn't post this sooner, but I'm gonna be unable to post for a bit, since I'm currently having health issues. I'm posting this from my phone and definitely can't keep up with games that way. I should be back within a week; almost definitely two. Feel free to take control of my character as necessary. Again, I'm sorry for not letting you know a few days ago. I tried to mention it in all the relevant threads but I didn't have much time before I left, and I've only now gotten the opportunity to use my phone. See you all hopefully soon!
Hope you feel better soon!
Old 11-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #257
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

anything else to say or should I bring you into port

I need to know when and what part of the planet each of you wants to visit, and what you will be doing there. there are two main communities in addition to various outposts and of course the actual port.

I will provide more geographical information when I am Not on my cell phone.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:23 AM   #258
the_matrix_walker

Where to go will most likely be determined during our initial meeting, we still know next to nothing about this place.

That we still haven't found any kind of an internet or similar data network is troubling... with our complete lack of information, we're going to have to approach this very carefully!
Old 11-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #259
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The last names have a power distribution ... which is quite normal, but this curve is much steeper than the human norm.
I'm afraid I have no idea what this means.

Quote:
The greeting party is fairly old, but their aides and assistants are almost all 35 or younger ... sometimes much younger.
This is probably VERY common on our stops. With the exodus being 52 years ago, there was probably a gap in the normal distribution until the next generation as most people were getting things in order to set up the colonies rather than focusing on family... People in their 50's are likely pretty rare.
Quote:
You are introduced to the head of the port 'Grandpa Sanderson'. Everyone on board simply calls him Grandpa, and he seems to be the sole owner of the port. He is a portly man with long sideburns, a ruddy face, and almost certainly is one of the origonal settlers.
sure, everyone over 52 is an original settler... everywhere!
Old 11-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #260
momothefiddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
I'm afraid I have no idea what this means.
A power distribution is a distribution represented by a function of the form f(x)=ax^k, such as this, or in this case, probably more like this. Essentially, Eric is saying that there is a small number of very large extended families, very few mid-size extended families, and a lot of very small extended families. I'm guessing this is the result of a power struggle between a few... dynasties, I guess - probably one per major settlement, which is three total - and the lesser families marrying in whenever possible to try to raise their social (and possibly political) status. I get the impression we're dealing with a political mess not unlike Venice at its peak.

(surreptitiously gives Rachel skill in history and politics in order to say all this in character)

Astrid 14/14HP, 3/10FP buffs
Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT

Last edited by momothefiddler; 11-22-2013 at 08:04 PM.
momothefiddler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
space merchant