Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
Fred Brackin

Default Magitech-Fluid Steel Arms & Armor

Sequeing off of a recent sub-thread about whether or not tL5 steel made ofr superior results to TL4- we will now proceed one step beyond that.

The premise is that through magic or soem fucntional equivalant an otherwise pre-industrial society is actually melting its' iron ore and producing "fluid steel" without slag, inclusions or significant impurities. Appropriate heat-treating and other finishing techniques are also assumed.

There are multiple ways this could be done with the default Gurps Magic system,

So how ogood si this stuff. I assume this is the tech that changes the normal weapon quality from "Good" to "Fine" for no extra expense (though I am prepared to learn differently) but what does it do to the DR and weight of armor (and anything else anybody can think of)?
Old 02-12-2012, 12:25 AM   #2
starslayer

Default Re: Magitech-Fluid Steel Arms & Armor

Assuming they have access to a good selection of the spells in GURPS magic (and not counting the essential spells/earth->stone spells)- then it would be possible for a mage/smith to produce steel alloys of quality at least on par with TL8 (Shape metal, destroy air, heat, protection from heat/fire being the most important ones that I can see).

They would further be able to make use of manufacturing abilities that are equivalent to late TL8 (Shape metal will allow you to get results that could only be achieved in the real world with high end CNC cutting and 3d printing).

As for actual game effects- I think I would just let a society that has lots of mage/smiths produce items as if they were TL8, but only from materials and metallurgical concepts that are available at there base TL (So they can make TL8 steels, but not TL8 transparent aluminum, and not ceramic trauma plates)
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:32 AM   #3
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
As for actual game effects- I think I would just let a society that has lots of mage/smiths produce items as if they were TL8, but only from materials and metallurgical concepts that are available at there base TL (So they can make TL8 steels, but not TL8 transparent aluminum, and not ceramic trauma plates)
The mark of TL6+ manufacturing is the production line, which uses specialization and mechanization to drive down costs. While a TL4^+ Magitech society could produce goods of equal quality, whether they could produce them for that same cost remains a doubt in my mind. Part of this depends on how common Magery is in the specific campaign world, and what scale of mana-powered manufacturing infrastructure is set up.

It probably is simplest to do as you suggest, and just let them make TL8 quality/cost versions of TL4 equipment.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:46 AM   #4
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
Assuming they have access to a good selection of the spells in GURPS magic (and not counting the essential spells/earth->stone spells)- then it would be possible for a mage/smith to produce steel alloys of quality at least on par with TL8 (Shape metal, destroy air, heat, protection from heat/fire being the most important ones that I can see).
If, that is, they had the requisite metallurgical knowledge in addition to the spells.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:22 AM   #5
DanHoward

All you are going to do is reproduce the best quality TL4 steel. Without modern alloys and high-tech hardening technology you won't get anything better.
DanHoward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:30 AM   #6
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
All you are going to do is reproduce the best quality TL4 steel. Without modern alloys and high-tech hardening technology you won't get anything better.
Fine and Very Fine Quality weapons are possible at TL4-. Could these magical techniques have the effect of reducing the cost of such high-quality gear to that of TL7+ manufacturing?
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:54 AM   #7
DanHoward

That's how I would handle it.
DanHoward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:50 AM   #8
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
So how ogood si this stuff. I assume this is the tech that changes the normal weapon quality from "Good" to "Fine" for no extra expense (though I am prepared to learn differently) but what does it do to the DR and weight of armor (and anything else anybody can think of)?
There are very, very good steels - modern steels - that are basically pure iron and carbon. 1080 or 1095 steels, for example. These have good hardenability and strength. For example, 1080 steel quenched from 1500F and tempered at 900F can hit about 870 MPa in yield stress; RHA using MIL-DTL-12560 seems to be similar to SAE 4340 steels, and one reference says that 1/2" plates are low hardness (Rc 37) but good yield strengh (940MPa).

Stress also has the units of energy per unit volume; if we use this as a (poor) gauge of DR, we'll find pure carbon steel, with nothing more than good knowledge of quench and temper, can hit about 95% of the DR of RHA, the "gold standard" by which GURPS measures its armor. Call it DR 66 per inch, or 2.6 per mm.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #9
Refplace

I do not understand why you think using magic allows you to create Fine or Very Fine with no extra expense.
Even if everyone was a mage with these spells your still talking about extra skills and effort being used. In most settings not everyone will be able to have them so on top of that you have to increase cost for rarity.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #10
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I do not understand why you think using magic allows you to create Fine or Very Fine with no extra expense.
Even if everyone was a mage with these spells your still talking about extra skills and effort being used. In most settings not everyone will be able to have them so on top of that you have to increase cost for rarity.
It isn't making the weapons with magic it's making the equivalent of TL6 or higher steel. It's using maigc to boost TL4 to TL4+2+.