Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 08-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
PenitentDemon

Default interventions and situations

asked on Interventions before, I have the angelic, and infernal players guides... for SCALE but ideas what kind of interventions appropiate in a particular sitch, thoguht we'd suggest some scenariaos and think.

heres a few cases in particular

Just about ANY case where you get a favorable divine intervention on a lying roll.

how to make that pass muster.

Reaction rolls, one idea I have, is that a favroable intervention on a reaction roll should create a good first step towards taking someone as a servant.

Once in one of the few actual games i played, I saw a free lilim competing with a reliever for influence in a piublic school, the lilim was LUCKY getting two separate favorable interventions in a fairly short game

One was in a reaction roll to influence the teacher once, another was in a PE class to see how atheletic she was.

with both those cases, I went with cosmetic "amplifiication"

any people have your own ideas? or answerss to the cases I created
PenitentDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:31 AM   #2
Omegonthesane

Default Re: interventions and situations

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenitentDemon View Post
asked on Interventions before, I have the angelic, and infernal players guides... for SCALE but ideas what kind of interventions appropiate in a particular sitch, thoguht we'd suggest some scenariaos and think.

heres a few cases in particular

Just about ANY case where you get a favorable divine intervention on a lying roll.

how to make that pass muster.
Well, for a start, the mark totally, completely believes the line of reasoning that God wishes them to believe. If the person rolling is a Seraph, you have serious problems, but otherwise there is not necessarily any problem whatsoever with angels lying through their teeth in In Nomine.

Quote:
Reaction rolls, one idea I have, is that a favroable intervention on a reaction roll should create a good first step towards taking someone as a servant.
My campaign didn't use Reaction rolls properly, but we sort of had a scene like this - the Balseraph villain had sent a Catholic patsy, because our Malakite of the Sword had sworn to neither harm nor allow harm to come to a sincere Catholic. Then someone got a Divine Intervention, we all started looking like obvious angels, and the mook turned into a Soldier of God.
Omegonthesane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:32 AM   #3
Jason

Quote:
If there is ANY way to turn that situation into one where you thought you were lying but it turns out you're actually speaking the truth, that would be perfect. That's tricky for lies like "Why yes, I'm a cop" when the PC is really a Malakite who just wants to meet the prisoner to beat him up, so it may not always work. I imagine it being more like the time I tried to convince my friend that tuberculosis was caused by "potato-like growths in the lungs -- you know, tubers" just to mess with him, and he yelled that I was lying, looked it up, and surprised us both by declaring I was actually right.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:55 AM   #4
PenitentDemon

Ive got the impression, that while unaligned humans do experience intervention its usualy always explainable as coincidence , in all but the most extraordinary of cases.

Hmmmn

ouch does the song of life, or celestial song what was it... fruitation.

if you get a favorable intervention on a song of fruitation, does that make the child a new messiah?

or hmmm

Any ideas on how a infernal intervention by a child to either "steal a cooki from the cookie jar" or "cheat on a test" could play out beyond, "you suceed perfectly"

(I know unlikely to be played through in play, but interesting as an intellectual exercise)

am thinking that for some such cases, a monkeys paw, something that seems positive, but is actually a curse, may be appropiate.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #5
Omegonthesane

Quote:
ouch does the song of life, or celestial song what was it... fruitation.

if you get a favorable intervention on a song of fruitation, does that make the child a new messiah?
It's the Song of Fruition. Assuming the game mechanics apply to normal people, rather than representing a level of divine & diabolical interest befitting player character antics, a Divine Intervention happens roughly once every 216th time anyone in the entire world does anything worthy of any kind of roll. So, the new Messiah springing from a mere 1-1-1 on Celestial Fruition would be a bit much in my opinion.

The child gaining all the benefits (symphonic awareness, many character points) and none of the downsides (never entering Normal Heaven, many Disadvantages) of a Nephallim seems more like it, assuming you use CPG Nephallim.

(Though, it has always struck me as odd that you need a high check digit to make Nephallim with Celestial Fruition - they're a failure, you'd think they'd be a low CD success.)

Quote:
Any ideas on how a infernal intervention by a child to either "steal a cooki from the cookie jar" or "cheat on a test" could play out beyond, "you suceed perfectly"

(I know unlikely to be played through in play, but interesting as an intellectual exercise)
Case 1: Not only do you completely get away with the theft, but your annoying twerp of a brother gets the full blame and punishment for it, teaching him that justice doesn't happen and you to continue stealing.

Case 2: Your cheating goes unnoticed and isn't actually fiddled with. The brightest star in the class gets accused of cheating and goes through months of stress clearing his name, putting his life plans on hold for at least another academic year.

Quote:
am thinking that for some such cases, a monkeys paw, something that seems positive, but is actually a curse, may be appropiate.
Depends how you play Lucifer; I'd have gone more for interventions that seduce you into (whatever your campaign defines as Lucifer's brand of) evil than that hurts you after seemingly helping you.
Omegonthesane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
PenitentDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegonthesane View Post
It's the Song of Fruition. Assuming the game mechanics apply to normal people, rather than representing a level of divine & diabolical interest befitting player character antics, a Divine Intervention happens roughly once every 216th time anyone in the entire world does anything worthy of any kind of roll. So, the new Messiah springing from a mere 1-1-1 on Celestial Fruition would be a bit much in my opinion.

The child gaining all the benefits (symphonic awareness, many character points) and none of the downsides (never entering Normal Heaven, many Disadvantages) of a Nephallim seems more like it, assuming you use CPG Nephallim.

(Though, it has always struck me as odd that you need a high check digit to make Nephallim with Celestial Fruition - they're a failure, you'd think they'd be a low CD success.)

oh hows this sound for a scenaria.

A demon prince rolls a divine intervention on the celestial song of life.

he has, unwittingly, created a demon with a personality, and possibly one or two celestial and ethereal discords, that makes them ideal redemption canidates, yet shrewd enough to hide it from him for the time being.

Case 1: Not only do you completely get away with the theft, but your annoying twerp of a brother gets the full blame and punishment for it, teaching him that justice doesn't happen and you to continue stealing.

Case 2: Your cheating goes unnoticed and isn't actually fiddled with. The brightest star in the class gets accused of cheating and goes through months of stress clearing his name, putting his life plans on hold for at least another academic year.

Depends how you play Lucifer; I'd have gone more for interventions that seduce you into (whatever your campaign defines as Lucifer's brand of) evil than that hurts you after seemingly helping you.
It could be both?

like say you are nervous, about this or that, and in a panic lie... let a Infernal interventino, make your lied believable for now, but make it so things will get worse when the truth comes out.

epsecialy appropiate, I think for an angel, trying to fib their superior.

As they MIGHT Have been willing to just scowl, if the lie was obvious, before assigning punishment.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:57 PM   #7
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:

In short, not just the potential for a sixth Force upon maturity, but a guarantee of a sixth Force.

Quote:
That one makes sense to me - on a high CD, the Celestial is pouring so much Celestial energy into the poor kid that it deforms from the stress.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:46 PM   #8
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Quote:
Mechanics hack. If a high CD never gave Nephallim, then anyone pouring (enough) Essence into the thing would never risk having a negative result.

Tags
tips