Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #1
ADAXL

Default [MA] Throwing Art and Techniques

Throwing Art makes all other "Thrown Weapon" Skills unnecessary (Basic Set p. 226). So what does this mean for Techniques?

Can a character with Throwing Art take one Technique such as Targeted Attack for all items that can be hurled with Throwing Art or does he have to learn the Technique for each weapon (based on Throwing Art skill, of course)?

Is it possible to learn Techniques specific to one type of weapon only (such as Thong Throwing from p. 12 on Low Tech for spears and javelins) with Throwing Art only?
ADAXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
PK

Default Re: [MA] Throwing Art and Techniques

Techniques are always learned per skill, whether that skill is Thrown Weapon (type), Throwing Art, or a wildcard skill encompassing ranged attacks.

So you could learn Targeted Attack (Throwing Art Attack/Face) and use it to reduce the penalty to target the face with any weapon you hurl via Throwing Art. You could learn a technique like Thong Throwing (Throwing Art) and use it with any weapon for which you could logically do so.

(And yes, this makes Throwing Art a ridiculously good deal. Honestly, it probably should have become a wildcard skill in 4e. But I've yet to see it break a game, so I'm okay with it.)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Techniques are always learned per skill, whether that skill is Thrown Weapon (type), Throwing Art, or a wildcard skill encompassing ranged attacks.

So you could learn Targeted Attack (Throwing Art Attack/Face) and use it to reduce the penalty to target the face with any weapon you hurl via Throwing Art. You could learn a technique like Thong Throwing (Throwing Art) and use it with any weapon for which you could logically do so.
That's not the way I would have ruled. Not only is it very generous for throwing art, it's more generous than the usual targetted attack in which you have to specify the type of attack in addition to the location.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
cosmicfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
That's not the way I would have ruled. Not only is it very generous for throwing art, it's more generous than the usual targetted attack in which you have to specify the type of attack in addition to the location.
Are there that many options with throwing attacks? I thought "throw the @#$~! weapon" was pretty much it!
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfish View Post
Are there that many options with throwing attacks? I thought "throw the @#$~! weapon" was pretty much it!
The particular options mentioned by the OP are the different types of object you can throw with Throwing Art.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:41 PM   #6
PK

Quote:
The particular options mentioned by the OP are the different types of object you can throw with Throwing Art.
"Type of object" != "type of attack".

If you know Targeted Attack (Thrown Knife Attack/Face), you don't have to learn a new technique for using a dagger, a new one for using a sai, a new one for using a hungamunga, and so on. The same technique covers every weapon you can use with that skill. It's the same for Throwing Art.

Now, if you want to rule otherwise in your games for balance reasons, I definitely understand -- but the RAW for Targeted Attack is that it varies by hit location and type of attack only. Because thrown weapons essentially have only one type of attack ("throw at target"), that means TAs for thrown weapons (including Throwing Art) are just going to vary by hit location.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:20 PM   #7
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
... Now, if you want to rule otherwise in your games for balance reasons, I definitely understand -- ...
Yep, that's pretty much it. It just seems too generous and way too unrealistic to say that the same body of learning will let you fling a pen in someone's eye or a croquet mallet.

So much so, that had it been up to me, I would have made an official exemption.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #8
lexington

Quote:
Yep, that's pretty much it. It just seems too generous and way too unrealistic to say that the same body of learning will let you fling a pen in someone's eye or a croquet mallet.

So much so, that had it been up to me, I would have made an official exemption.
If you're concerned with realism why are you using Throwing Art?
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #9
cosmicfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
If you're concerned with realism why are you using Throwing Art?
Agreed, Throwing Art is a distinctly cinematic skill. I do think it should have been replaced with a bang skill, however - it is a little too cheap as it is. I always used to wonder why anyone would take any other throwing skill when this was available...
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfish View Post
I always used to wonder why anyone would take any other throwing skill when this was available...
It requires TBAM or WM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote