Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-07-2017, 04:27 PM   #11
Buzzardo

Default Re: Conjuring highly unstable compounds

I can imagine a tech-magic setting in which the cheapest way to get antimatter to power your starship is to conjure it magically.

I can also imagine a low-tech setting in which someone accidentally conjures up antimatter, because the GM and (hopefully) the players have decided to move on to a new campaign.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 04:31 PM   #12
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
After all, there's no canonical GURPS setting where spell magic coexists with high technology where a spell like this might occur or anything.
I never said any such thing. What I did was to ASK the OP what setting they were envisioning, and what TL it was. If they're playing in Technomancer it's one thing, but if they're playing in Roma Arcana it's another.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 04:37 PM   #13
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
If you can, for instance, ask your magic to make a stone golem burn without telling it how, it might come up with Chlorine Trifluoride as the means. And after that you'd have a possibility for asking for more of the same. Spirit-assisted magic could produce that sort of thing pretty logically.
I don't think of it that way. Magic is *supernatural*. If you ask it to do something that, as far as you know, is naturally impossible, it doesn't have to create some natural substance, process, or energy that can do the thing you're wishing for. It just creates a violation of the laws of nature.

Beyond that, what the OP asked for wasn't "a magical fluid that can set fire to stone"; it was "chlorine trifluoride."

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 04:39 PM   #14
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardo View Post
I can also imagine a low-tech setting in which someone accidentally conjures up antimatter, because the GM and (hopefully) the players have decided to move on to a new campaign.
Antimatter conjuration doesn't have to be campaign-ending. A kilogram of the stuff is like a big nuke, sure, but it's survivable from just a few miles away so long as you don't have a clear line of sight for the thermal pulse.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:41 PM   #15
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I don't think of it that way. Magic is *supernatural*. If you ask it to do something that, as far as you know, is naturally impossible, it doesn't have to create some natural substance, process, or energy that can do the thing you're wishing for. It just creates a violation of the laws of nature.

Beyond that, what the OP asked for wasn't "a magical fluid that can set fire to stone"; it was "chlorine trifluoride."
There are many ways magic can work. Under some of them, hosing the golem down with chlorine trifluoride would be a likely outcome. Under others it wouldn't be.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:52 PM   #16
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
If you don't know what to ask for no spell can give it to you.
I'd add "except as a Critical Failure result". Those can bring all sorts of fun.

Quote:
Antimatter conjuration doesn't have to be campaign-ending. A kilogram of the stuff is like a big nuke, sure, but it's survivable from just a few miles away so long as you don't have a clear line of sight for the thermal pulse.
How much of a party is going to be that far away from a teammate when he casts a spell like this?
Old 05-07-2017, 05:05 PM   #17
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
How much of a party is going to be that far away from a teammate when he casts a spell like this?
If they know their teammate is prone to experimental conjurations? Maybe all of them whenever remotely possible.

But Buzzardo didn't say the one conjuring antimatter was a PC.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:35 PM   #18
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
If they know their teammate is prone to experimental conjurations? Maybe all of them whenever remotely possible.

But Buzzardo didn't say the one conjuring antimatter was a PC.
If an NPC conjures antimatter that destroys a city-sized area while they're not around is just background flavor about why the ruins are in ruins. And a party of adventurers straying miles away from each other just sounds immensely impractical - "safe" distance for dangerous conjuring is still within arrowing distance, usually. You don't want your friend to be unprotected if he accidentally summons a demon or something.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:37 PM   #19
Buzzardo

Quote:
My current campaign is centered on a city. A large explosion would mean a new campaign.

I've just recently started a new campaign set in an old world that my players loved, so I wouldn't want to restart again just now. Down the road, though.... ;)

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:52 PM   #20
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
If an NPC conjures antimatter that destroys a city-sized area while they're not around is just background flavor about why the ruins are in ruins.
Not if it happens during the campaign.
Quote:
And a party of adventurers straying miles away from each other just sounds immensely impractical - "safe" distance for dangerous conjuring is still within arrowing distance, usually. You don't want your friend to be unprotected if he accidentally summons a demon or something.
If the guy's messing around with magic that might take out a city-sized area? (Which summoning a demon may accomplish just as well as the antimatter would.) I think there's a certain practicality to worrying more about not letting that happen to you than about protecting them from the consequences of their actions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardo View Post
My current campaign is centered on a city. A large explosion would mean a new campaign.
Okay, yes, if your campaign scope is largely within the few-mile radius of devastation, there you go (up in radioactive smoke).