Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
Libertine

Default Tower of Fandom: legendary items

This is the third, and final part of my build materials for my complete tower of phan domme campaign. I am looking into legendary artifacts, one for each fan universe, for the game. The first 5 levels are going to take place in the mushroom kingdom, but i am torn as to what artifact it should be. I'm thinking Mario's hammer, but the warp whistle also is a more fitting pick as there is only one in the kingdom.

Is there any canonized unique item in the mushroom kingdom suitable for our heroic cosplayers?
Mushroom kingdom = tanooki, hammer brother's, frog suit
Labyrinth = Jareth's crystal ball
Buffyverse = Scythe
Sailor Moon = Moon Crescent Wand
Percyverse = Zeus's Rod

Megaman = The proto shield
Narnia = Champions gear
Star Trek = The Bat'lith of Kaless
Inuyasha = The Shikon Jewel
Wuxia land = Various martial arts techniques.

Whoneverse = Sonic Screwdriver
Potterverse = the elder wand
Pandora = Horn of the last shadow
Zebes = Various chozo tech
Marvel universe = Eye of Aggamato

Final Fantasy = Meteor staff
Middle Earth = Isuldor's Blade
The Walking Dead = Darryl Dixon's Crossbow
Star Wars = Twin force whips
DC universe = The Helm of Nabu

Last edited by Libertine; 09-26-2013 at 02:09 PM. Reason: List of legendary items.
Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
quarkstomper

Default Re: Tower of Fandom: legendary items

Sailor Moon = It seems to me that Sailor Moon had a number of magic gee-gaws, but I'm not familiar enough with the cartoon to name any of them.

Star Trek = There was the Legendary Cheese Slicer of Khaless from a Next Gen episode. (Yes, I know, the weapon has a name. I just think of them as Klingon Cheese Slicers). From the Original Series I'm not thinking of many items that are really unique. Nomad? Spock's Vulcan Harp?

Inuyasha = Gotta be Inuyasha's mystic sword, Tetsusaiga. Or the Shikon Jewel

Whoneverse = As in Star Trek, the iconic gadgets aren't really unique. There's the Doctor's sonic screwdriver, but he's had more than one, and they seem to be gadgets that any Time Lord can put together out of odds and ends.

Star Wars = Hum. I got nothin'. Once again, lightsabers aren't really unique.

DC universe = The Helm of Nabu? The Blue Scarab posessed by the original Blue Beetle? Starman's Cosmic Rod? Wonder Woman's lasso? Ooo! I got one: Doctor Destiny's Materioptikon!
Old 09-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Sailor Moon has the Imperium Silver Crystal, a crescent wand I forget the elaborate title of, the Transformation Pen that allows for some fairly mundane visual disguises, Sailor Moon's tiara is weaponized (it hits Thrown Weapon(Disc) to attack and does cutting damage).

For the Mushroom Kingdom, the Warp Whistle isn't unique, and on roughly even footing with it are the definitely weaponized Tanooki Suit and Hammer Bros. Suit. Completely unique items like specific magical stars with specific properties seem kinda rare for the setting.

Zebes has the upgrades for Samus's power armor over the years, ancient Chozo technology; Morph Ball, Ice Beam, Wave Beam, Varia Suit, Hi-Jump, and so on. Missiles are generic though; common enemies carry compatible ammo with them.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:19 AM   #4
Libertine

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarkstomper View Post
Sailor Moon = It seems to me that Sailor Moon had a number of magic gee-gaws, but I'm not familiar enough with the cartoon to name any of them.

Star Trek = There was the Legendary Cheese Slicer of Khaless from a Next Gen episode. (Yes, I know, the weapon has a name. I just think of them as Klingon Cheese Slicers). From the Original Series I'm not thinking of many items that are really unique. Nomad? Spock's Vulcan Harp?

Inuyasha = Gotta be Inuyasha's mystic sword, Tetsusaiga. Or the Shikon Jewel

Whoneverse = As in Star Trek, the iconic gadgets aren't really unique. There's the Doctor's sonic screwdriver, but he's had more than one, and they seem to be gadgets that any Time Lord can put together out of odds and ends.

Star Wars = Hum. I got nothin'. Once again, lightsabers aren't really unique.

DC universe = The Helm of Nabu? The Blue Scarab posessed by the original Blue Beetle? Starman's Cosmic Rod? Wonder Woman's lasso? Ooo! I got one: Doctor Destiny's Materioptikon!
i think i will go with the helm for DC, The legendary "cheese slicer" will work for Star Trek
I think the sonic screwdriver is the obvious choice for the Whoniverse. It may not be unique, but it is to time lords. The Jewel is the winner for inuyasha as i have enough swords.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
Libertine

For pandora, I'm thinking about using a horn that calls the last shadow.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
Libertine

The Shikon Jewel, upon reading up on the artifact, it seems like the power of it reflects the user. It seems to be something that can do "anything" within a certain power limit. I think what I'll do is put several shards in the levels each worth 10 points, and then the players make a wish & i grant it within the amount of cp collected. It is a single use item so the characters have the option of getting 9 small wishes, or 1 large wish, or any combination thereof.

Last edited by Libertine; 09-20-2013 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #7
Phantasm

For Star Wars, delve a bit into the EU: The Kaiburr Crystal, an artifact that can amplify one's Force usage (and a shard of it can be used as a lightsaber focus crystal). Lumiya's or Githany's lightwhips - the only two lightwhips in the universe, IIRC.

For the DCU, I agree that the Helm of Nabu and Wonder Woman's lasso are the two iconic unique items.

Although, instead of just "DCU", you may want to consider a "comic-book mashup" world. Marvel has a number of unique cosmic items: the Infinity Gauntlet, the Cosmic Cube... All sorts of fun to be had. ;)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #8
arconom

Masamune is lame.

The Invincible. (It's an airship. The best one)
Black Materia. (WMDs ftw)
Sin. (more WMDs)
W-Item (Glitch included). (need maor megalixirs)
arconom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #9
Mister Ed

For Star Trek, The Sword of Kahless probably is the best choice. The other one that leaps to mind as a unique artifact of great power is The Guardian of Forever, and that doesn't seem to fit the portability requirement evidenced by the other items on the list.

Picard's Ressikan Flute is another unique artifact, but not terribly useful to adventurers, I guess.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
Libertine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
For Star Wars, delve a bit into the EU: The Kaiburr Crystal, an artifact that can amplify one's Force usage (and a shard of it can be used as a lightsaber focus crystal). Lumiya's or Githany's lightwhips - the only two lightwhips in the universe, IIRC.

For the DCU, I agree that the Helm of Nabu and Wonder Woman's lasso are the two iconic unique items.

Although, instead of just "DCU", you may want to consider a "comic-book mashup" world. Marvel has a number of unique cosmic items: the Infinity Gauntlet, the Cosmic Cube... All sorts of fun to be had. ;)
I have the eye of agamatto for marvel, It provides a 3 level bonus to magery and allows magery to be bought further with a can be stolen gadget limitation. I am going to go with the force whips, thanx for the tip.