Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-06-2018, 03:07 PM   #11
whswhs

Default Re: Idea about str, damage, dr scaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfi View Post
Yes that's the idea.
I guess I am also asking what weird consequences will it have?
That I have to think about. It's so unfamiliar that I don't have an intuition for it.

You could get something nearly equivalent by treating it as a limitation. For example, if you have a 0.3 cost multiplier, you would treat that as a -70% limitation. If you didn't have any other modifiers, the greatest allowed limitation would be -80%, and if 12/SQRT(N) = 0.2, then SQRT(N) = 60, and N = 3600, which is a really high end budget; it would allow, for example, ST 1800, and Basic Lift 648,000 pounds or 324 tons, enough for anyone short of the Silver Age Superman or an enraged Hulk. (For example, you could lift a steel sphere 13.5 feet in diameter one-handed.)

Not that I'm necessarily advising that; I'm just trying to make it more comprehensible by relating it to something familiar.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 03:53 PM   #12
Malfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
That I have to think about. It's so unfamiliar that I don't have an intuition for it.

You could get something nearly equivalent by treating it as a limitation. For example, if you have a 0.3 cost multiplier, you would treat that as a -70% limitation. If you didn't have any other modifiers, the greatest allowed limitation would be -80%, and if 12/SQRT(N) = 0.2, then SQRT(N) = 60, and N = 3600, which is a really high end budget; it would allow, for example, ST 1800, and Basic Lift 648,000 pounds or 324 tons, enough for anyone short of the Silver Age Superman or an enraged Hulk. (For example, you could lift a steel sphere 13.5 feet in diameter one-handed.)

Not that I'm necessarily advising that; I'm just trying to make it more comprehensible by relating it to something familiar.
I see. I guess you could also tamper with the root to make it scale according to what you want it to do.
Malfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:40 PM   #13
Anthony

It's going to be far easier to just make Scale either a campaign setting, or a campaign setting that can be bought up or down.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:59 PM   #14
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfi View Post
What I wanted was to create a kind of logarithmic progression for these specific stats (str, hp, damage and dr) where they become cheaper the higher your cp total is.
Oh. I was way off then :)

Have you tried the math the other way around? That is, rather than having a declining cost for a linear increase in ST (etc), keep the cost increment the same, but have that cost buy an exponentially increasing amount of the stat? I'm not certain if this actually helps, as you'll wind up either with fractional CP or fractional stats, but it might be a little more GCA / GCS compatible to just drop the fractional part of the stats.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:22 PM   #15
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Have you tried the math the other way around? That is, rather than having a declining cost for a linear increase in ST (etc), keep the cost increment the same, but have that cost buy an exponentially increasing amount of the stat?
That's more or less what Super-Strength does, though in a clunky way.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:36 PM   #16
Anthony

To expand a little on an above comment, I estimate being d-scale (your damage is d-damage, your DR and HP are d-hp, ST 1 is BL 20 lb, etc) at roughly 500 points. For comparison with existing advantages, IT(DR) 10, Cosmic (can reduce damage to 0) is 225 points, and super-ST 6 (pushed, 10) is 240 points, and we'll toss in a few extra points for lack of being annoying. Since the traits I'm emulating are both exponential, we can set a value for any beneficial scale at 500 x log10(scale), so 150 points for x2, 350 points for x5. There are other types of scaling it might also be useful to have (e.g.. giant monsters might want to use D-hexes or even C-hexes, and there's some value to adjusting turn length as well), and keeping the same curve for scales below 1 is problematic, but something like that makes playing kaiju, or mecha, or ants, a lot simpler.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:29 AM   #17
Malfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Oh. I was way off then :)

Have you tried the math the other way around? That is, rather than having a declining cost for a linear increase in ST (etc), keep the cost increment the same, but have that cost buy an exponentially increasing amount of the stat? I'm not certain if this actually helps, as you'll wind up either with fractional CP or fractional stats, but it might be a little more GCA / GCS compatible to just drop the fractional part of the stats.
I guess its the same thing really.

Then it becomes a question of how damage from strength scales in comparison to dr and innate attack damage.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:34 AM   #18
Malfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
That's more or less what Super-Strength does, though in a clunky way.
True though what I try to do is also keep innate attack, damage resistance, hp and lifting strength on the same track.
I guess damage reduction does the same thing for hp.