Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 01-13-2018, 02:50 PM   #1
Stelknecht

Default Buying off the penalty for shooting past ally

Hi folks,
Players wanted to find out about somehow buying off the -4 per figure for shooting someone behind another player. I found a thread about not hitting the blocking player accidentally (Rules Exemption: No friendly fire) which is close, but they're talking about a level of teamwork that would allow the frontline melee fighter to zag just as the archer fires.
My first thought was a 1 point teamwork perk, but that might be too cheap for the value. This seems like a nice cinematic dungeon fantasy power up. What do you think?

Stelknecht, GM'ing DF again.
Stelknecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:16 PM   #2
Imbicatus

Default Re: Buying off the penalty for shooting past ally

As a house rule, I'd introduce the rules for Techniques from GURPS to buy off the penalty. I'd treat it as a hard technique with a default of -4, 2 points for a -3, 3 points for -2, 4 points for -1, and 5 points for -0.
Imbicatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:36 PM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

See Battle Drills, GURPS Tactical Shooting p. 37. Among its other benefits, being in position ignores Hitting the Wrong target for allies.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:25 AM   #4
Stelknecht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbicatus View Post
As a house rule, I'd introduce the rules for Techniques from GURPS to buy off the penalty. I'd treat it as a hard technique with a default of -4, 2 points for a -3, 3 points for -2, 4 points for -1, and 5 points for -0.
Thanks, that sounds about right. 1 point was too cheap, I thought, but 5 sounds about right. This still leaves it open to hit the ally if you miss, and that's ok.
Stelknecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:14 PM   #5
ArchonShiva

You can certainly import rules from GURPS for anything you’d like, but realize that each profession has stuff in regular GURPS or DF that they’d love to be able to do; be careful no to give good stuff to the good templates and leave the struggling templates hanging. The scout (which I assume this is about) is probably a top 3 template already.

That said, there is a lot of gameplay to working with allies so that you don’t need to shoot past them. You may prefer to explore that, as each profession faces their own challenges.
ArchonShiva is offline   Reply With Quote