Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 06-23-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
DBloch2012

Default Looking For Group

Hi everyone,

My name is David, and I am new to the forums and to In Nomine in general. I recently bought the Core Rules and downloaded the free supplements from e23. After reading and falling in love with them I became hungry to find a gaming group that plays In Nomine.

Unfortunately, all the online ones seem to have died off. And nobody where I live has even heard of the game. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations where I could find people who still play In Nomine online? Failing that, does anyone run a group in Toronto, Ontario, Canada?

Last edited by DBloch2012; 10-10-2012 at 07:53 PM.
DBloch2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:31 PM   #2
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: Looking For Group

Welcome aboard!

I'm currently part of two online In Nomine groups, one set in Wisconsin and one set in Sweden. I think the Swedish one still has some space, though it's been on hiatus for a while; you might message ISNorden on these boards for details.

Good luck in your search and I'll keep you abreast of anything I find. I'm also co-GM of the Wisconsin campaign, so if a spot opens up, I'll let you know.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
Acolyte

Welcome! Some gaming goes on here (though not anything accepting players, I think), and Rocket Man's pretty well clued into what online game we know about.

Good luck with your local search as well. In Nomine is a rip-roaring good time.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
DBloch2012

While I wait for ISNorden to PM me with a response, I thought I would pose a question that has been running through my mind as a possible plot-device for a game.

Why are Superiors so different from regular Angels and Demons?

Last edited by DBloch2012; 10-10-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:26 PM   #5
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBloch2012 View Post
Why are Superiors so different from regular Angels and Demons?
Canonically, I think the explanation is that they are simply infused with more power by their respective patrons (God/the Seraphim Council, or Lucifer), including the combined natures of all Choirs or Bands. (And ignore the following if you are one of my players.)

Spoiler:  
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:46 PM   #6
DBloch2012

The problem with that is Lucifer is not a God who can infuse power. He should simply be just another Fallen Angel - a Demon. How did he acquire the power to give Words and make Superiors?

Old 06-24-2011, 10:16 PM   #7
Jason

Quote:
The problem with that is Lucifer is not a God who can infuse power. He should simply be just another Fallen Angel - a Demon. How did he acquire the power to give Words and make Superiors?
The simple answer, I guess, is that as one of the most powerful angels, and then THE most powerful Balseraph, he can literally rewrite the rules of the Symphony according to his Will. (That is what Balseraphs do. He can just make it "stick" more permanently.)

I also tend to think that he has special "bonus powers" by being the de-facto holder of several Words in the minds of humanity: the Prince of Lies (which could DRAMATICALLY expand the powers of a Balseraph), not to mention Evil, Hell, Fallen Angels, the Damned, Demons, and an argument to be made for Words like "The Devil," "The Adversary," and so on. After all, as discussed in another thread going on now, human belief is a powerful thing. But this does raise the question of whether Lucifer DOES actually have -- perhaps even unwittingly -- a Word assigned by God, suggesting that the First of the Fallen's role is indeed part of a grand Plan...
Old 06-24-2011, 10:23 PM   #8
DBloch2012

That would be what I believe: Lucifer is actually just a powerful Superior assigned a Word by God. Not sure what that Word is, but it could allow him to give Words and Superior status to others.

Anyway, does being a Superior affect your Heart in the Celestial Realm? Would a Superior even have any?

Also, Superiors are not the only ones with Words. PCs can get Words, too. Does this put them on the same level as Superiors? Can a Word-bound PC have Servitors attuned to their Word? Can they be summoned? etc.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:33 PM   #9
Jason

Quote:
That would be what I believe: Lucifer is actually just a powerful Superior assigned a Word by God. Not sure what that Word is, but it could allow him to give Words and Superior status to others.
"Lies" is the obvious choice in some ways, but it does raise the question of why God would give a truly corrupting Word. It might be more interesting if Lucifer weren't even aware (or were aware but unwilling to share) that his Word is something more tied to God's plan. This could be something involving the deliberate testing of humanity, such as "Crossroads" (referring to making choices, and traditions of making deals with the devil at crossroads), or "Adversity" (hence his title of "The Adversary" and his traditional role in stories like Job's).

Quote:
Anyway, does being a Superior affect your Heart in the Celestial Realm? Would a Superior even have any?
I was surprised to read at least one instance of a Superior being described as having a Heart (in the possibly apocryphal story of how Vapula stole Genubath's Word by swallowing his Heart, in Superiors 4). I suppose that implies that the Heart is a channel to or focus for one's Word, which would tie in with how the Heart shatters when an angel goes Outcast or a demon goes Renegade (and is thus no longer bound by their former Word's dissonance conditions).

Quote:
Also, Superiors are not the only ones with Words. PCs can get Words, too. Does this put them on the same level as Superiors? Can a Word-bound PC have Servitors attuned to their Word? Can they be summoned? etc.
Having a super-powerful Word does not automatically make a celestial into a Superior, but it is kind of a prerequisite for it. The "promotion" only comes after the Seraphim Council or Lucifer approves it. EDIT to add: I don't think non-Superiors can be summoned, but they CAN give attunements and rites if they are powerful enough. Never seen anything implying that they have an extra dissonance condition that direct Servitors would need to take on, though I imagine that could go either way. I'd say go for it if it makes your game more interesting.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:36 PM   #10
DBloch2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I was surprised to read at least one instance of a Superior being described as having a Heart (in the possibly apocryphal story of how Vapula stole Genubath's Word by swallowing his Heart, in Superiors 4). I suppose that implies that the Heart is a channel to or focus for one's Word, which would tie in with how the Heart shatters when an angel goes Outcast or a demon goes Renegade (and is thus no longer bound by their former Word's dissonance conditions).
So, what happens if you were to, say, infiltrate the Celestial Realm, steal a Superior's Heart, and break it?

Sounds like an interesting plot for a campaign to me! :O

Last edited by DBloch2012; 10-10-2012 at 07:55 PM.

Tags
meta