Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 08:27 AM   #1
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default I miss the old Illuminator layout

Until a few months ago, the Daily Illuminator was a blog or scroll-like thing where you could see the current day's item at the top and then effortlessly scroll down to see yesterday's item, and the day before that, back to about a week or so.

Now it only shows the current day's item, and if I want to see the previous day, I have to click on a specific link for that day, and again for the day after that.

I don't check it every day. I used to, long ago, when there were more GURPS-pertinent updates, but for the last several years I only drop by a couple of times a week.

I'm probably not the only one who does that, and so the new shape of the Illuminator is a mistake.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
adm

Default Re: I miss the old Illuminator layout

Agreed.123456789
Old 03-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

I don't think it's the new layout per-se, but rather the fact that the new layout doesn't allow you to see multiple entries at once, and there really isn't a reason it couldn't be set up to display "Previous Week" and "Previous Month" entries.
Kaboom-baya.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
rlbeaver

I'm guessing I'll be in the minority, but I felt it was better, a cleaner easier to read look to me. Hitting an arrow to go to a previous or next entry is fine. Putting in dates is cool in that little widget...of course, I put in 80 years into the future and was amused at the response.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
trechriron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlbeaver View Post
I'm guessing I'll be in the minority, but I felt it was better, a cleaner easier to read look to me. Hitting an arrow to go to a previous or next entry is fine. Putting in dates is cool in that little widget...of course, I put in 80 years into the future and was amused at the response.
Me too. I think the new random article time machine flippitydo thing is awesome.
My Blog
Old 04-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #6
mlvalentine

You can still read the headlines for multiple dates if you go through the Archive link. It's not the first view like it was before, but you can see a sample of what I'm talking about here:

http://sjgames.com/ill/archive/April_2012

and

http://sjgames.com/ill/archive/March_2012

The other way to get to the content in the format you mentioned, is to subscribe to the Daily Illuminator. We have multiple ways you can do that, but our RSS feed will allow you to read everything in one swoop.

Just take a peek at the bottom right-hand corner and you'll find multiple options.

http://www.sjgames.com/ill/
Old 04-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #7
Peter Knutsen
Banned

I really can't be arsed to go through the trouble of having to start using a new and unfamiliar technology, just to be able to read a corporate blog. Sorry. This is the web. Stuff is supposed to be accessibl and high-usability.

The old layout worked. The new one makes some assumptions that flat out are incorrect for many visitors, and for many SJ Games customers.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #8
adm

I know a lot of sites automatically direct you to a mobile option when you use a phone(and even on my old pre-smart phone I really wish they wouldn't), how hard would such an option be here?
Old 04-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #9
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlbeaver View Post
Putting in dates is cool in that little widget...of course, I put in 80 years into the future and was amused at the response.
I'm not seeing that as an option. What am I missing? I'd like to be amused, too. :-)
Old 04-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I'm not seeing that as an option. What am I missing? I'd like to be amused, too. :-)
When you pull up the full Illuminator message (not the home page screen), there should be a calendar on the right side. Below the calendar is a counter to jump ahead or behind xx years/xx months/xx days.

I didn't see it at first, either.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Closed Thread