Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #71
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: Hey Steve, whats more important?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnke View Post
Question...If I model the Ogre miniatures in 3d and then upload those designs to Shapeways for 3d printing, is that a violation of copyright?
Yes. Please do not do that.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #72
Ronnke

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Yes. Please do not do that.
No problems, just needed clarification. It's still a good idea and solves the out of print miniature problem forever.
Ronnke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #73
Ronnke

...And just for fun I quickly blocked out a Mk.V. I wanted to see if I could get the basic shape in under 30 mins. The track assembly needs a lot of work, but I was near enough to that time.

Ogre Mk.V (WIP Render)

I'll clean up the geometry, add detail, and texture it the next time I'm bored.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #74
D351

Copy"right", for the good of the people... War is peace, freedom is slavery, and ignorance is strength.
D351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #75
jpattern

Copyright is what protects SJG from being ripped off. What exactly is wrong with that idea? Or were you being clever, in a 1984 sort of way?

Look, I'm more liberal and hippie-dippy than most, but even I recognize the value in copyright laws.

Just because someone is a huge fan of "something," in this case a game and miniatures, that doesn't mean they automatically get to have it free, or cheap, or even *now*, if that's not the wish of the owner of that "something."

Jeff
jpattern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #76
PK

<MOD>

Let's avoid derailing this thread with a copyright discussion. Our position is simple: "Copyright law requires us to defend our copyrights, so we must insist that no one violate them -- even a little." If you feel that's unreasonable, or if you wish to talk about copyright laws in general, please start a different thread in a different forum. Let's keep this one about Ogre.

</MOD>

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:10 AM   #77
Rogueliberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
I wish I could tell you that getting the miniatures back into production is a top priority, but rather than lie to you I am trying to be as upfront and honest as I can. Steve wants the miniatures to be available again, yes, but I just do not have anyone I can focus on the issue.

If an amazing casting operation were to come to us with reasonable terms to take on the production we wouldn't refuse to look at the possibility. I just cannot take the time to go out exploring and start beating the bushes to find a caster who can meet Steve's quality demands and our own cost requirements.
Phil, we really appreciate you taking the time to reply to us.

Now, you already mentioned you would announce when you where ready to get the ball rolling on OGRE miniatures being cast up again, and I hope I am not pushing it, (if I am, I apologize), but, would it hinder or hurry getting OGRE miniatures cast again if a little bird were to indirectly contact REAPER miniatures about if they would ever be interested in casting OGRE miniatures?
Just an innocent question presented to them through their contact page, or on their forums, mentioning there seems to still be a market for the OGRE minis and have they ever considered casting them.
Now, I don't work for SJGs or REAPER miniatures, I'm not even a SJGs MIB, so this would simply be a gamer asking a simple question, to see what they may think of such an idea.
You mentioned you don't have the time or staff to do any bush beating like I am suggesting...understood, but I do. :)
...at the same time I do not want to cause any waves that would not be helpful in any way to this endeavor.
I would simply be asking them for my own curiosity...and, if I were to get a reply worth sharing with the fellow OGRE miniatures fans here on this forum, and had permission from REAPER miniatures, would it be alright to post such a reply?
...or are these waters I should really just keep my proverbial boat out of?
...Is it best to just wait until after OGRE 6th edition comes out, and you guys may have more time to look into it?
Rogueliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:17 AM   #78
Rogueliberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnke View Post
...And just for fun I quickly blocked out a Mk.V. I wanted to see if I could get the basic shape in under 30 mins. The track assembly needs a lot of work, but I was near enough to that time.

Ogre Mk.V (WIP Render)

I'll clean up the geometry, add detail, and texture it the next time I'm bored.

WOW...nice work!
Thanks for sharing.

If you don't mind my asking, what program are you using?
I just started tooling around with 3DCoat and I'm so excited about the possibilities of 3D computer graphics...it's amazing.
Rogueliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:28 AM   #79
Ronnke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogueliberty View Post
WOW...nice work!
Thanks for sharing.

If you don't mind my asking, what program are you using?
I just started tooling around with 3DCoat and I'm so excited about the possibilities of 3D computer graphics...it's amazing.
Thx

I use Blender pretty much exclusively now, as it does everything I need in the 3D department. If it's of any interest to you, I have a YouTube channel with a playlist of renders I created with Blender. They are from my "slowly" progressing Traveller fan film project, titled, "Emerald Monarch".

Some links:
Blender.org
YouTube - Emerald Monarch
Old 02-21-2012, 06:36 AM   #80
D351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
<MOD>

Let's avoid derailing this thread with a copyright discussion. Our position is simple: "Copyright law requires us to defend our copyrights, so we must insist that no one violate them -- even a little." If you feel that's unreasonable, or if you wish to talk about copyright laws in general, please start a different thread in a different forum. Let's keep this one about Ogre.

</MOD>
Shutting up.
D351 is offline   Reply With Quote