Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
Crashman

Default Hey Steve, whats more important?

Hey Steve, my name is Josh. I've been a member here for years, and enjoy your games. Car wars is fun and Ogre is awesome.

I know you get allot of flak for taking your time to produce a game. I know you like a quality, affordable product. I am not here to tell you how to do business.

I am here to tell you what some people would like.

I belong to an online community of gamers of every stripe. Grognards, back seat Generals, Ameri-trash; you name it. But the most important thing about these people is that they love to PLAY games. SO much so, that they often BUILD THEIR OWN COPY if they cant find or buy one.

I have an Ogre set that is an old FASA Battletech map, photocopied Shockwave counters and a battered 2nd hand copy of Ogre/GEV from 2000that someone lost all the pieces to.

Because I can't buy anything from SJG.

SO here is the point. You need to make your games more available. I realize that we will have to wait for Ogre 6e. No big deal. But people, lots of people would love to play Ogre.

Today.

They like chits and fold up hex mats. Black and white counters. D6s stolen from from an old box of backgammon.

Please.

Put Ogre back in print or on e23.

The Classics, with Ogre, GEV and Shockwave from 2000. The Reinforcement Pack, and Battlefields.

Chity-Chity-BANG BANG!

Make it easy for your fans and gamers to play your great games, instead of letting them search the internet and fight on Ebay for scraps of former glory.

I Bet 5 bucks that every person here would kill an ink cartridge printing their own set, in the blink of an eye.

I bet everyone here would pay $4.99 for each installment of Ogre, GEV or Shockwave too.

Sincerely
Josh
Old 01-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: Hey Steve, whats more important?

We appreciate that several people want to buy Ogre right now, but the game is not yet ready. Once 6th edition is on the market we may discuss other options. Not before then, because we only have so much energy to devote to Ogre and all of the Ogre energy is going to the new edition.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
Cosmic J

I still use the map from my old plastic boxed OGRE set. I bought it back around 1984, and the poor thing is beat to death.

Any chance of offering replacements for the old stuff? Actual printed maps would be nice, but I'd be happy w/ just PDFs if it came to that.
Cosmic J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:31 AM   #4
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic J View Post
Any chance of offering replacements for the old stuff? Actual printed maps would be nice, but I'd be happy w/ just PDFs if it came to that.
It is unlikely that we will reprint bits and pieces of older editions. PDF? Too early to say when, or if, we'll release older Ogre material in PDF. This is what's available in PDF at the moment:

http://e23.sjgames.com/search.html?gsys=Ogre

http://e23.sjgames.com/search.html?g...e%20Miniatures
Old 01-07-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
Talorien
Former Ogre Line Editor

Phil, is there any chance of a drop in price on the Ogre book?

I'd like to get it, but about a third of the articles, including some of the more interesting ones, are available free on the SJG website.

So $13.99 seems rather steep. Perhaps $9.99 or lower might be a more suitable price?
Talorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:29 AM   #6
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talorien View Post
Phil, is there any chance of a drop in price on the Ogre book?

I'd like to get it, but about a third of the articles, including some of the more interesting ones, are available free on the SJG website.

So $13.99 seems rather steep. Perhaps $9.99 or lower might be a more suitable price?
We have not discussed dropping the price of any of the Ogre items on e23.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
shantke

I don't know for certain, but I am almost sure those articles were posted on the website before e23 and pdf sales even existed. What I have seen on other game sites is a ton of those "free articles" disappearing with the advent of pdf sales. I wouldn't ask too hard for a price break as it will just make the freebies disappear in my experience. Game companies are in the business of selling games and game content for money and now low print runs, print on demand and pdf sales are making old out of print possible again, and I will trade freebies for whole products every time. I also do not mind paying a little extra for some things I already have some of so the place i am buying from stays in buisness and eventually come out with new stuff for me to buy.
shantke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
Mark Hansen

I understand SJG not wanting to reprint Ogre/GEV products with Ogre 6e on the way but it might help if there was a little more information on progress with 6e. I joined the mailing list to get more info and received 1 email in August 2011 which started out with an apology for not communicating enough! The apology might seem a little more sincere if there had been follow-up info, either on the website or via email. Judging by quite a few of the recent comments there are a lot of people that feel the same way.

A little info now and then would help you guys as well as us.
Mark Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #9
philreed
I do stuff and things.

There is no news. The game is currently in Steve's hands and he is working on it as he has time around other projects. And as much as we wish Steve spent all of his time working on games that's just not true. He has a lot more time directly working on games than I do, but even then there's a lot of work to be done and only one Steve Jackson working on a lot of different things.

When there is something to report we will post to the mailing list.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #10
Greyhawk Grognard

Which mailing list? The Yahoogroups list?
Greyhawk Grognard is offline   Reply With Quote