Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 03-24-2017, 03:00 PM   #1091
lwcamp

Default Re: Art for games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymdok View Post
GIMP Rules!
Keep it up and post often :)
Will do! I'm out for the weekend, but there's a few things in the stack I can post when I get back.

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:57 AM   #1092
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
NICE Setup!

Im eyeballing them, but at a grand, I cant sink that into a hobby.

I use autodesk sketchbook mobile on an 8" 3rd Gen Kindle fire HD.

GIMP Rules!
Keep it up and post often :)

Nymdok
You can get a similar system for half that. One of my artists for Dragon Heresy had a small Cintiq that started to die (and cramped his hand), and as part of his compensation for commissioned work I bought him a 21" Ugee 2150 for less than $500.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:13 PM   #1093
lwcamp

Here's a character from the setting
http://panoptesv.com/RPGs/Settings/V...gun_cowboy.png
(since I'm still working on putting the setting together, its not a PC.)

Luke
Old 03-27-2017, 06:02 AM   #1094
Bruno

Another approach is to skip the screen and just get an Intuos or such. They don't have the "drawing right on the screen" factor, but it didn't take me long to adjust to looking up while drawing. They have a distinct edge in durability due to having less components - I have a medium-sized Intuos 5 touch that's years old, and still chugging along.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:13 AM   #1095
Kalzazz

My mandatory public education was all in Metric, but I'm much my comfortable with American units, but I can handle metric

As for money, I use my debit card for most stuff, Target card for Target, online checks for paying Target card, up until recently 1 dollar bills for buying lunch at work (they didn't have change, you could buy the dollar lunch, or not), larger bills adding to 25 for lawn mowing, and quarters to do laundry, and either checks or large numbers of bills for large person to person

So the idea of needing different forms of money for different tasks isn't to weird
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:00 AM   #1096
Nymdok

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
You can get a similar system for half that. One of my artists for Dragon Heresy had a small Cintiq that started to die (and cramped his hand), and as part of his compensation for commissioned work I bought him a 21" Ugee 2150 for less than $500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Another approach is to skip the screen and just get an Intuos or such. They don't have the "drawing right on the screen" factor, but it didn't take me long to adjust to looking up while drawing. They have a distinct edge in durability due to having less components - I have a medium-sized Intuos 5 touch that's years old, and still chugging along.
Thanks to you both for the advice!

Sadly, even at $500 thats still a bit more than Im willing to venture on a hobby that I am arguably terrible at. (As an example, I spent 7$ on pencils of varying hardness at Wal-Mart and consider that an 'investment')

Assuming I continue to improve, I'll cross that bridge later. In the meantime, Ill keep trying to do good stuff for 5$. :)

http://nymdok.deviantart.com/

As to the Intuos, I've never used one, but Ive become very accustomed to
a. Drawing in Bed
B. Drawing on the Screen

So Ive considered them a non-starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcamp View Post
Here's a character from the setting
http://panoptesv.com/RPGs/Settings/V...gun_cowboy.png
(since I'm still working on putting the setting together, its not a PC.)

Luke
That looks great Luke! Especially the Gun. Its a dead ringer for the one in Ultra-Tech, and I really like the Foreground rock work. (Im a sucker for a well painted Rock Formation).

"I hunted him for many moons"
"Sounds like a long time?"
"Nah, we get three moons a night here, so they add up quick"

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:31 AM   #1097
lwcamp

Quote:
Assuming I continue to improve, I'll cross that bridge later. In the meantime, Ill keep trying to do good stuff for 5$. :)

http://nymdok.deviantart.com/Nymdok
Keep it up! It looks like you've got a good start. In my experience, I improve by doing, so the more I draw (and the more I try to draw new and different things), the better I get. I expect the same is true of other people as well.

You might find this useful, for techniques for drawing trees and vegetation
http://panoptes.livejournal.com/83278.html

Quote:
That looks great Luke! Especially the Gun. Its a dead ringer for the one in Ultra-Tech, and I really like the Foreground rock work. (Im a sucker for a well painted Rock Formation).

"I hunted him for many moons"
"Sounds like a long time?"
"Nah, we get three moons a night here, so they add up quick"

Nymdok
Heh. The world of Homestead (where this guy hangs out) has three moons, with the two smaller inner moons orbitally resonance-locked to the outer larger moon. So once every (outer moon) month, they all come into conjunction.

I was inspired by the ray guns on page 116 of Ultra-Tech, but they had apertures that were way too small (which, for a laser, would lead to absurdly short ranges), and for a laser you could (and should) use a single-lens-reflex design to eliminate the separate scope (and thus also eliminate parallax errors in aiming). The scope view is through the "step" above and just in front of the grip. Of course, his sunglasses are actually sensor glasses, offering a HUD display which may make the scope redundant.

Luke
Old 03-27-2017, 09:33 AM   #1098
Kalzazz

https://www.amazon.com/Autodesk-Inc-.../dp/B00P1913DI

This software on an 8in Kindle? I love my 8in Kindle, so now I kinda want to try drawing on it

Do you use a stylus? It doesn't hurt the Kindle does it?
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:03 AM   #1099
Nymdok

Quote:
Keep it up! It looks like you've got a good start. In my experience, I improve by doing, so the more I draw (and the more I try to draw new and different things), the better I get. I expect the same is true of other people as well.

You might find this useful, for techniques for drawing trees and vegetation
http://panoptes.livejournal.com/83278.html
Thanks for the Tut!
Yeah, Ive been trying varying differnt things to get trees to look good, YOu can seen some of the tests on that deviantart site.

Quote:
Heh. The world of Homestead (where this guy hangs out) has three moons, with the two smaller inner moons orbitally resonance-locked to the outer larger moon. So once every (outer moon) month, they all come into conjunction.

I was inspired by the ray guns on page 116 of Ultra-Tech, but they had apertures that were way too small (which, for a laser, would lead to absurdly short ranges), and for a laser you could (and should) use a single-lens-reflex design to eliminate the separate scope (and thus also eliminate parallax errors in aiming). The scope view is through the "step" above and just in front of the grip. Of course, his sunglasses are actually sensor glasses, offering a HUD display which may make the scope redundant.

Luke
Spoken like a GURPS player and Physicist :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Autodesk-Inc-.../dp/B00P1913DI

This software on an 8in Kindle? I love my 8in Kindle, so now I kinda want to try drawing on it

Do you use a stylus? It doesn't hurt the Kindle does it?
Yep Thats the stuff!
Yes I use a stylus (whatever I can get cheap, normally 2$ styluses work just fine and I've never spent more than $5 for one), Yes i use THAT exact software and for 5$ its completely worth it! No, it doesnt hurt the kindle.

BUT! Before you pay for it, go DL the free version, open it up, take your styllus and draw a slow, steady diagonal line across the screen.

If it draws smooth, then go ahead and buy the full version.

If it draws a 'stair step' pattern even when you draw a straight line, then dont bother. With tablets, kindles included, the quality and resolution of the touch screen can vary widely. This is a good test to see if your tablet is 'Draw Worthy'. Forewarned is forearmed :)

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:27 AM   #1100
lwcamp

Here's another illustration of a world, this one with my setting's largest cities (except possibly for some in the Zox Hierate, but those will be hard to get to) and with a strong Lithuanian heritage
http://panoptesv.com/RPGs/Settings/V...lds/Zemyna.png
The aircars took more time than the rest of the picture combined. Probably because I don't draw vehicles as much and needed to figure out the proper techniques.

Luke

Tags
art