Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #1
zoncxs

Default Superpower: Give me a moment and I am unstoppable

Ello all, So I have been toying with an idea for a while now. its for a superhero that I would like to make, His power is that he is able to "charge up" energy and use it to boost his own powers. the more time he has to "charge" the more power he can store and use. he can try to push the envelope to get a decent boost quickly (like needing to run really fast but don't have the time to charge) using extra effort so no worries there. the energy stored can be used to heal himself or boost his own powers.

the only thing that is hard to do is the "charging" part. I thought about just buying all the stats with trigger or takes extra time vari but that ends up costing infinite. the only cap would be his imaginary battery that stores the energy.

So my question is this: How would you go about making a power that is similar to the absorption enhancement for DR into its own advantage?

once I get that is only a matter of slapping takes extra time vari and other things.

so what do ye think?
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:08 PM   #2
Sindri

Default Re: Superpower: Give me a moment and I am unstoppable

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
the only thing that is hard to do is the "charging" part. I thought about just buying all the stats with trigger or takes extra time vari but that ends up costing infinite. the only cap would be his imaginary battery that stores the energy.
Why does it end up with infinite cost? Does his battery not have a cap on how much it can store?
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:11 PM   #3
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindri View Post
Why does it end up with infinite cost? Does his battery not have a cap on how much it can store?
those are two separate sentences which are two separate thoughts and have nothing to do with each other.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #4
Sindri

Quote:
those are two separate sentences which are two separate thoughts and have nothing to do with each other.
Then I must have misunderstood something. Please correct where I am wrong.

1 Abilities require energy or fatigue to use their more powerful versions
2 Energy is gained by spending time charging
3 His most powerful versions of his powers are not infinite in degree

also can he put the energy he has charged up into any ability or does it have to be devoted to it while charging? And can he hold onto a surplus of energy?

Last edited by Sindri; 05-06-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:30 PM   #5
Refplace

Quote:
Actually they do.
Is there a cap on your battery? from your post I think you want an infinite battery. This does and should cost infinite points.
However if you do not want infinite then were dealing with something more practical and can work on a cost for it.

What your describing is exceedingly rare and often a Super is stated to have infinite reserve but later on a practical limit is found. They just thought it was infinite as they had not found the limit yet.
Infinite power really is not much fun as things become too easy for that character and the other players feel useless. Game gets boring for everyone.

Here is an example from comics that you might look at though.
Dazzler is a sound absorbing Super in Marvel. She can use sound to power her light powers and shoot lasers or make a light show.
IN a normal battle there is enough sound for her to have a predictable power level. Sometimes there will be explosions or more then average noise or she teams up with a sound projector like Banshee and has a higher power level.
Then one time she was kidnapped by Galactus to go fetch his herald out of a blackhole. Galactus boosted her power up with a recording of the Big Bang.

I would buy her with the following to fit.
Level 1 is her powers with the Mutant PM and an accessibility limit that she needs sound around her or to have charged up from it shortly before.
Call it -5%
Level 2 is DR with energy absorption only sound attacks to power up an ER and she buys extra levels of her powers with costs FP.
You could also do this by just buying those extra levels on a larger accessibility limit that required louder noises.
Level 3 is Ultra Power and a common Supers trope of the Plot Device and a Power Stunt.
No reason to actually buy those massive powers as it was a one shot thing with pretty much nonrepeatable circumstances.
And it was all a plot device by the Writer or GM.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:43 PM   #6
zoncxs

(bare with me, I am sleepy and will be back in like 12 hours)

another way to look at it is neutralize with power theft (for boosting your own powers) or just DR: absorption. the energy he builds up are CP that he uses to boost one of his powers/traits. they drain away over time and if used they go away instantly (like using it to boost your ST for 1 hit).

the reason I will not use DR:A is because he does not need to be hit in order to build up CP.

so for Sindri

1 - no, they don't require anything to use.

2 - yes, and by energy I meant CP like how DR:A builds them up and Neutralize with power theft boost adds them.

3 - he only really has 1 power, "the ability to charge up energy and use it to boost himself". For anything else he does, I already have it covered.

for Refplace

there would be a cap since, if there wasn't, it would cost infinite points. But I wasn't thinking of using E.R. but something along the lines of DR:A. though using time and not having to take damage for it to charge.

(be back after these commercial breaks)
Old 05-06-2012, 11:49 PM   #7
munin

There are a number of ways to do this, but the two obvious ways are Modular Abilities, and Godlike Extra Effort + Time Spent.

Modular Ability (Improve Only, -20%) lets you improve any ability you have up to the limits of your Modular Ability. Most MAs require time to use in proportion to the improvement allocated. For example, if you had a 1 second per point MA, you could improve your abilities by 20 points in 20 seconds, or by 100 points in 100 seconds.

The only limits that Godlike Extra Effort imposes are determined by your FP capacity and your Will score. By allowing your super to use the Time Spent rules (p. B346) to soak Will penalties, you can improve on that, thus more time = more power.

You can even combine the two: use godlike extra effort to increase your Modular Ability capacity (p. P160).
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:11 AM   #8
Sindri

How fast does he charge up energy? Probably a combination of takes extra time and maximum duration would work.

Of course you could also buy an innate attack that only works on you and DR with absorption that only worked against your innate atttack.
: )

Modular abilities as above work quite well.

Last edited by Sindri; 05-07-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:17 AM   #9
Refplace

Quote:
for Refplace

there would be a cap since, if there wasn't, it would cost infinite points. But I wasn't thinking of using E.R. but something along the lines of DR:A. though using time and not having to take damage for it to charge.
Other then the MA described I think ER is an option that fits since you describe it as "Charging up". However if not then you could also buy powers on accessability and prep required, or immediate prep required.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:15 AM   #10
the_matrix_walker

Hmmn Might be interesting to try using the variable fatigue cost rules (Powers P.101) substituting "FP" with "time multiplier" and "Costs Fatigue" with "Takes Extra Time"
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
powers, supers