Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 02-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #981
Mehmet
MIB

Default Re: Art for games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
It is absolutely OK. It needs to be distributed in a format that doesn't include the geometry - Poser Morphs, Genesis Morphs are both lists of deltas with no actual geometry, so both are perfectly fine (and encouraged, and there's a thriving independent freebie community that they encourage). Both distribution formats have been specifically designed to be compliant :)

If a mesh modifier is some sort of ZBrush thing, I don't know how it works - but if it can't be used to recreate the base geometry, it's still in compliance with the license.
Hey Bruno,

It absolutely wouldn't work - or should I say - work in a weird way without the original mesh. So, yeah, it is an inj delta created with Zbrush. The interface (GoZ for ds) actually send the non-subd version of genesis, you just sculpt something on it and just send it back. The data sent is the difference between your sculpting and the base mesh.

The whole thing above is another way of saying I love ZBrush. :)

Cheerio!
Old 02-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #982
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehmet View Post
The data sent is the difference between your sculpting and the base mesh.
Perfect. Anything that requires you to already have the base mesh and mix it with your data somehow is definitely acceptable.

What's been noted as not actually OK is using the original mesh as a decryption key for an encrypted file that contains stand-alone mesh. They're not particularly aggressive about this work-around, but since it's almost never necessary they really don't want people to do it.

A clear example of what's not good and explicitly forbidden (whether through their store or another store or as a freebie): Sending Genesis over the bridge to ZBrush -> sculpting Genesis into a custom character -> exporting Genesis to an OBJ and distributing that. Even as an unrigged static object. Also not-acceptable is exporting only part of the mesh to OBJ - sculpting the hand into a talon-monster-claw and exporting that to a static trophy nailed to a trophy board - not acceptable.

If you're interested in exploring geografting it's technically in violation of their current license terms, but they've got an email address which I can't find right now where you submit a request and they give you official permission to do your project. They've publicly stated they've had 80-odd requests and haven't rejected any so far so it seems pretty safe.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #983
Mehmet
MIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Perfect. Anything that requires you to already have the base mesh and mix it with your data somehow is definitely acceptable.

What's been noted as not actually OK is using the original mesh as a decryption key for an encrypted file that contains stand-alone mesh. They're not particularly aggressive about this work-around, but since it's almost never necessary they really don't want people to do it.

A clear example of what's not good and explicitly forbidden (whether through their store or another store or as a freebie): Sending Genesis over the bridge to ZBrush -> sculpting Genesis into a custom character -> exporting Genesis to an OBJ and distributing that. Even as an unrigged static object. Also not-acceptable is exporting only part of the mesh to OBJ - sculpting the hand into a talon-monster-claw and exporting that to a static trophy nailed to a trophy board - not acceptable.

If you're interested in exploring geografting it's technically in violation of their current license terms, but they've got an email address which I can't find right now where you submit a request and they give you official permission to do your project. They've publicly stated they've had 80-odd requests and haven't rejected any so far so it seems pretty safe.
Hello,

I see, understandable. I am actually only interested in distributing deltas whenever I come up with something usable. And I am not familiar with the term geocrafting. What does that mean?

Edit: scratch that. I read it as geocrafting whereas it is geografting. Exposed to too many different lexicons these days... and I'm basically slow so apologies.

Cheers...

Last edited by Mehmet; 02-06-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Mehmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #984
Bruno

I was inspired by Kenneth Latran's thread about the gnomes he's working on for his campaign world.

So I worked up a picture of one possible appearance for a 2' tall, ST 8, HP 6 humanoid. Who just dares you to make a height joke...
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #985
mlangsdorf

I think it's a bad-ass looking gnome, and conceptually distinct from how I picture dwarves. Good work!
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:43 AM   #986
Mehmet
MIB

Finally figured out the FBX exporter.

There are many issues with conversion of materials (some behave really weirdly). And the scene is just a WIP to be honest - you can clearly see posing errors and pinches on the fabric along with unnecessary speculars. This is going to be one of the characters from my (still) upcoming game. She is a dragon (yes) actually, shapechanged into a human.

Here it is (warning, about 4 MB).

Cheers...
Old 02-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #987
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Finally figured out the FBX exporter.

There are many issues with conversion of materials (some behave really weirdly). And the scene is just a WIP to be honest - you can clearly see posing errors and pinches on the fabric along with unnecessary speculars. This is going to be one of the characters from my (still) upcoming game. She is a dragon (yes) actually, shapechanged into a human.

Here it is (warning, about 4 MB).

Cheers...
Nice, though you can probably reduce it to a smaller file size for sharing, keeping your original files big, share small.
Not that we really notice file size these days.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #988
Mehmet
MIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
Nice, though you can probably reduce it to a smaller file size for sharing, keeping your original files big, share small.
Not that we really notice file size these days.
Well, considering the original file size is around 40 MB (16 bit colour space), this hardly does the colour range of this render justice :)

But yeah, here is a 250 K Jpeg version.

Thanks!

Cheers...
Old 02-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #989
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Well, considering the original file size is around 40 MB (16 bit colour space), this hardly does the colour range of this render justice :)

But yeah, here is a 250 K Jpeg version.

Thanks!

Cheers...
Hmm, I know I suggested it, but the smaller version really loses a lot, the normal sized version is nice, the small version is washed out, too much light washing out the nuance.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #990
Mehmet
MIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
Hmm, I know I suggested it, but the smaller version really loses a lot, the normal sized version is nice, the small version is washed out, too much light washing out the nuance.
Yes. A clear example of the difference between an 8 bit colour space and a 16 bit colour space. 16.8 million vs 281 trillion colour possibilities. Heh.

Although it seems like you're stuck with 256 shades per channel (and some alpha) using the render engines / software to set up scenes, light falling on material (especially if using an unbiased render engine like Lux) changes the game completely as far as I can tell (still a newbie with all these). So, if you are not clamping the colours and exposure, 16 bit is the quality solution for a linear work flow (which is what I use).

Cheers...

Tags
art