Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
apoc527

Default [Kickstarter] At what point does SJ Games profit from this Ogre print run?

I find myself wondering just HOW successful this Kickstarter project has become for SJ Games-- it was kind of clear at the outset that SJ was doing this as a labor of love, using income from Munchkin to fund this Ogre 6E project. But with a print run of double the original (6,000 according to Update 25), does that bring the cost per unit down to where SJ Games is profiting from each sale at $100? (I'm assuming that, as good businesspeople, they are making a small profit from each $150 order, swag included--but I could be wrong too--the margins COULD be razor thin on all that stuff too.)

I only ask because I want SJ Games to dominate the wor...errr, I just want them to stick around for a long time and make me GURPS stuff, so if Ogre and now Car Wars (and of course Munchkin) can help them do that, then sign me up!

And even though I have never played Ogre, nor was I born when it came out, I pledged $150 anyway, simply to support Steve Jackson Games. This crowdsourcing thing is BIZARRE, I tell you!

Currently Playing: GURPS Banestorm: The Symmetry of Darkness

Inactive:
Star*Drive: 2525-Hunting for Fun and Profit
My THS Campaign-In the Shadows of Venus
Yrth--The Legend Begins
The XCOM Apocalypse
Old 05-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
tomc

Default Re: [Kickstarter] At what point does SJ Games profit from this Ogre print run?

I wonder how much of this mania is about supporting a product and how much is about supporting a cause.

They both work for me.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
Old 05-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
mook

Default Re: [Kickstarter] At what point does SJ Games profit from this Ogre print run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
I wonder how much of this mania is about supporting a product and how much is about supporting a cause.
Though I remember seeing the ads for it back in the day, I've never actually played Ogre before, and I'm in at $150. With all the hundreds of hours of entertainment and friendship GURPS, SJGames games, even these forums have brought, I would likely have tried to support a SJ Kickstarter called "Give Me Money, Just 'Cuz" ... the fact that I get a new and awesome game out of it is just gravy!
Old 05-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
apoc527

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook View Post
With all the hundreds of hours of entertainment and friendship GURPS, SJGames games, even these forums have brought, I would likely have tried to support a SJ Kickstarter called "Give Me Money, Just 'Cuz" ... the fact that I get a new and awesome game out of it is just gravy!
LOL, exactly. But let's not give them any ideas. :-)

Currently Playing: GURPS Banestorm: The Symmetry of Darkness

Inactive:
Star*Drive: 2525-Hunting for Fun and Profit
My THS Campaign-In the Shadows of Venus
Yrth--The Legend Begins
The XCOM Apocalypse
Old 05-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #5
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoc527 View Post
LOL, exactly. But let's not give them any ideas. :-)
I'm with you guys! (*whispering*) But, shhh, don't tell Steve....
Old 05-15-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
*shrug* There's no difference in this case, AFAIC.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #7
offsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
*shrug* There's no difference in this case, AFAIC.
There is a difference, but only in semantics/theory. Because of how this was done (and thus how it could be supported), the practical result is the same. But I'm sure there were some people who were less than thrilled with the new form factor who supported it nonetheless because of the possibility that it would lead to new products in their preferred form...
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
Old 05-15-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
Buzzardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
There is a difference, but only in semantics/theory. Because of how this was done (and thus how it could be supported), the practical result is the same. But I'm sure there were some people who were less than thrilled with the new form factor who supported it nonetheless because of the possibility that it would lead to new products in their preferred form...
That would still be supporting a product, just not this product. Rather, they would support the product line.

Supporting the cause would be pledging and then not specifying anything, such that SJG keeps all the money, and not caring about the product. I doubt there were many such people, though I'd be surprised if there were none.

More likely is the middle ground, where I am. I spent thrice what I would normally willingly spend on a game, partly to support my favorite game company, partly to get a great game.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Old 05-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #9
TekChef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardo View Post

More likely is the middle ground, where I am. I spent thrice what I would normally willingly spend on a game, partly to support my favorite game company, partly to get a great game.
I am in the same place. SJ Games produced three games that I played as a early teenager-Car Wars, Ogre/GEV and Illuminati-that quite possibly led to me enjoying the board game hobby.

Ogre is one of my all time faves to this day, so I had to jump on it. Sure, I spent WAY more than I do on games...way more. I have zero regrets as it as A. I am getting THE Uber version of said fave game and B. I am supporting a game designer/company that has been part of my gaming experience since the mid 1980s.

And when Car Wars gets the KS treatment, more support goes SJ's way.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #10
DavidK44

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
But I'm sure there were some people who were less than thrilled with the new form factor who supported it nonetheless because of the possibility that it would lead to new products in their preferred form...
While I like the new form factor, I'm actually just as interested in the new pocket-sized version. I supported early at the $150 level, and was delighted to see the improved microgame as a stretch goal. I'm hoping that my daughter will get interested in it, and can take it to school with her to play with friends, just like I did when Ogre first came out.
Closed Thread