Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Card Games

Old 11-25-2014, 07:20 AM   #1
Don Carnage

Default Illuminati - interfere with attack on uncontrolled groups?

Hello there,

I own my copy of Illuminati for quite a while now, but since I played it again with some friends yesterday evening I finally decided to get a clarification regarding a detail of the rules I was never sure about. I read the instructions multiple times yet I never found a clear statement and this little detail can impact the game quite drastically.

Can other players interfere (or support) when you attack an uncontrolled group?

I have played the game both allowing this and not allowing this.
Not allowing this basically lets each player collect one or two groups each round without giving the other players a chance to stop this. This is especially jarring when a player is two groups or so away from victory, as others have to watch him win the game from the sidelines.
The defense of uncontrolled groups is laughable when facing a player with as few as two or three average strenght puppets, plus possibly money thrown in, when no one is backing them up.
Also, the game ends much quicker this way and overall, time to play is much more in line with the estimated time box.

Allowing to interfere makes each acquisition delicate and requires you to use diplomacy and bribes much more stop other players from interfering with your conquest. The game is stretched out by this and reaching high numbers of puppets is much harder. However, this variant was usually more liked by me and my buddys as each player was involved in every attack, communication and diplomacy were more prelevant, and games were much fiercer, which seems to fit the overall idea of the game better.

Regarding the rules, I found:
Quote:
Interference
A player may interfere in an attack, either by helping the
attacker or by opposing him. To do so, he announces who he
will help, and then contributes money from his Illuminati
treasury only.
This is rather open, but does not forbid interfering with attacks on uncontrolled groups.

Quote:
Spending Money To Defend. If the defending Group is
controlled by another player, the defender may counter an
attack by spending some of his own money
Seems to hint that only groups controlled by someone can be defended with money. Could also just be about the regular player attacks player situation before any kind of interference is considered.

So, finally, this question has bothered me long enough, I would be really glad if someone here could clarify this for me :)
Don Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:14 AM   #2
PK

Default Re: Illuminati - interfere with attack on uncontrolled groups?

Yes.

Money on your Illuminati may always be spent to interfere in any attack unless it is privileged. That's the wonderful thing about Illuminati money.

The only non-Illuminati groups that can spend money are the attacking group (if non-Illuminati) and the defending group (if controlled).

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:16 AM   #3
Don Carnage

Default Re: Illuminati - interfere with attack on uncontrolled groups?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Yes.

Money on your Illuminati may always be spent to interfere in any attack unless it is privileged. That's the wonderful thing about Illuminati money.

Finally. Thank you!

The instructions could really be more precise about that, given how much of a game-changer it is.

At least know I know I played it the right way the last couple sessions.

My doubt was sparked again when my last 4-player session took almost 6 hours (granted, with 3 newcomers) and the largest amount of groups anyone could ever collect during that round was 6 or 7, while the winning condition of 12 was far out of reach. Everyone kept everyone in check, so I thought "this game is supposed to take only 3 hours or so, maybe conquering uncontrolled groups was intended to be easier".

Im glad that was finally made clear.
Don Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote